02-21-2014, 10:04 AM
  • Westaway
  • Lawrenceville, GA
User Info
Since my wife's stroke before Christmas I have been living in hospitals and Rehab Centers without the luxury of shaving at home. This morning I loaded my razors with new Astra SP blades and began to face lather with my Chubby1 Best, prepped in a new soap I had never experienced. RazoRock's Don Marco (the family) Bergamot, Neroli flavor. For the first time in my shaving career I could now appreciate that there are so many addicted to face lathering. I could not have had a better brush and soap combo for this revelation. This Don Marco soap doesn't have to be worked much on the face to be slick and ready. I was truly amazed. I didn't think that I would ever use a soap that would turn my head away from my beloved Tabac.

1st and 2nd pass with my Muhle R41 (2009), a mild open comb yielded a very satisfactory smooth result. Attempting perfection I lathered and used my newly acquired 2013 R41 for my final third pass. It was comfortable and my face was extra smooth. I made the mistake of running the tips of my fingers firmly across my cheeks and detected an ever so slight beard remnant. One more lather and a South To North touch up with the middle 41 (2011) and the finish was perfect.

You might ask why not just have two passes with the 2011 and rinse and be done with it. My answer would be that this morning I was shaving for the simple pleasure and enjoyment of having the time and the equipment to have a few relaxing moments just for me.
Heart

0 34
 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Glad your shave went well and I hope your Wife is recovering...our thoughts are with you.

6 1,995
 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
First and foremost I wish your wife a full and healthy recovery. Nothing like the R41 in particular the 2011/2013 models which rank up there as one of the great shavers.

119 13,020
 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM
User Info
Best of luck with your wife's recovery and great to hear you enjoyed the shave, so much! Smile

82 21,056
 02-21-2014, 03:54 PM
User Info
I simply can't add to what's already been written, but I can add my dittos to them.

32 6,445
 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM
User Info
Great story. I wish your wife a speedy recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3 315
 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM
User Info
Great story and I hope your wife is on her way to recovery.

9 1,203
 03-07-2014, 12:24 AM
User Info
Praying for your wife, bet that shave was the MOST refreshing shave you've EVER had! Sitting in hospital rooms suck, I KNOW! I'm only 29 and I lost both of my parents and 2 grandparents before I was 26. You feel tired, nasty and you just don't take care of yourself. I can totally relate to sitting in hospitals, and I'm glad you were able to find time to enjoy the most basic of comforts...a good shave! My R41 just came in today, when I use it tomorrow, I'll think of you and your wife.

Best wishes,
JOE GEO

0 5
 03-08-2014, 10:43 AM
  • Westaway
  • Lawrenceville, GA
User Info
(03-07-2014, 12:24 AM)Joe Geo Wrote: Praying for your wife, bet that shave was the MOST refreshing shave you've EVER had! Sitting in hospital rooms suck, I KNOW! I'm only 29 and I lost both of my parents and 2 grandparents before I was 26. You feel tired, nasty and you just don't take care of yourself. I can totally relate to sitting in hospitals, and I'm glad you were able to find time to enjoy the most basic of comforts...a good shave! My R41 just came in today, when I use it tomorrow, I'll think of you and your wife.

Best wishes,
JOE GEO

My wife and I thank you for your prayers. This morning I started with my Muhle R89 after lathering with the Razorock Classic Cream/Soap which seems to be Cella's counterpart in aroma. The lather was so heavy that the 89 had a slow going to remove it. My second and final pass was with the '13 R41 Grande. The soap is new to me and I found it arrived in the mailbox on a quick trip home last night. It is everything that I had wanted Cella to be. I have read so many discussions about how to get a good lather from Cella, it was nice to be able to enjoy using an Almond scented cream that I could use without a user's manual. The R41 is being tweaked for comfort also. I have been experimenting with Feather blades that so many say work well with this razor...... This morning I had an extra comfortable experience having loaded a Dorco 301 blade. I think I will also try the Dorco Blade in my 2011 '41 for a while. Sometimes one wonders if it is the soap or the blade when experimenting.

0 34
 03-08-2014, 11:46 AM
User Info
May your wife recover fully and completely and I am glad you are able to enjoy your shaves.

1 2,827
 03-15-2014, 04:32 AM
User Info
I love the R41 - It is my go to razor

I wish your wife the best in her recovery - Will keep her in my pryaers

0 150
 03-15-2014, 01:01 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I wish you and your wife the best. I'm impressed that a shave can provide some degree of comfort, even in trying times.

38 5,036