02-21-2014, 12:36 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Thought this would be a good thread to have that can eventually lead to a valuable resource for all those that come after us. You can of course use this space to put tips on how to overcome issues many pen users might experience; and new users (or experienced) can use this space to ask for suggestions on how to fix issues they have encountered.

To start it off I have an issue that is really aggravating me. I bought a brand new Kaweco Sport Classic in Medium recently and it's giving me a fit.

My problem:
Nib Skipping. At least I think that's what it's called.

Explanation:
When I'm writing the ink will flow freely in certain stroke angles, slow in other angles, and stop all together in others. You can see how this would make writing very aggravating. It's almost as if it's running out of ink, but it's a full cart in there.

I will be cleaning out my fine nib pen this weekend, but still. This issue makes this pen virtually unusable...

Any help is appreciated. This was a free cart from the manufacturer if that helps...

Thanks folks.

18 1,186
 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Clinton, I've had this issue with a Kaweco in the past, and my solution was to hold the pen over a good padding of newspaper, and give the cartridge a good squeeze and saturate the feed with ink. I then did a whole lot of this until the skipping stopped:

[Image: hkzDB1D.jpg]

0 1,137
 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
Thanks Bob. I was thinking I'd have to flush the pen. This sounds a lot easier. I'll give it a shot.

18 1,186
 02-21-2014, 03:49 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Sometimes, there are oils that remain in the pen and a good flushing, especially the nib and feed, can really help.

2 11,211
 02-21-2014, 04:16 PM
  • XP100
  • Veteran Shaver!
  • Florida, USA
User Info
I have one of those, along with dozens of other fountain pens. If you've ever written on thermal/ moisture-reactive paper, like that used in cash register receipts, theirs a substance on them that collects in the nib slot that creates a situation exactly as you've described. If a good flush & fill doesn't cut it it's possible you may need to clean and dry the nib and floss the slot. I don't mean waxed dental floss, as that can worsen the problem. I restore and repair fountain pens, including custom nib grinding and smoothing, so I use worn out sheets of mylar Micro-mesh but it can be done using just a thin piece of good writing paper. Once the nib is clean and dry, and if the F&F fails, VERY gently slice a piece of paper into the nib slot working it like floss, it's called nib-flossing. The feed channels too could be clogged, running a shim down them or fine music wire might be needed. Whatever the cause, I've probably come across and fixed it, no worries so far.

Sent from my SlimBean Shoe-Phone!

0 22
 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
Think you gentlemen. I think the flush might be what I'm gonna do tomorrow when I flush my other pen as well.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

18 1,186
 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM
User Info
Try diluting the ink a bit. Flushing is a good thing to try. Some inks bubble, sometimes only in certain pens/cartridges, which can lead to this issue.

None of my Kawecos skip. So it's not a design flaw or tendency of the pen.

3 285
 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
After flushing and filling the pen, it is writing like it is supposed to now.

18 1,186
 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM
User Info
That's great to hear Clinton. I need to stop by a local drug store and pick up an ear bulb syringe so that I can flush feeds and converters quicker.

31 8,054
 02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(02-26-2014, 03:17 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: That's great to hear Clinton. I need to stop by a local drug store and pick up an ear bulb syringe so that I can flush feeds and converters quicker.

Inexpensive and works nicely, Brian. Smile

2 11,211
 02-26-2014, 04:01 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(02-26-2014, 02:57 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: After flushing and filling the pen, it is writing like it is supposed to now.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Clinton. I hope you'll really enjoy the pen now. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM
User Info
Glad to see it worked out! Enjoy Smile

1 346