05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
User Info
It's closed!

OK, so some background...

Last night I had some time and I read where Johnnie9 had a site where he posts his "rescue" razors for sale (my word for it), but not to make $ off of them. OK, so that's no BS. He said it and he means it. If you haven't looked at his offerings you really need to. He's on the up and up.

Last night I also saw that he has 2 absolutely gorgeous SE razors, and they're old and noisy. Absolutely my sort of razors. But I would feel guilty if I bought one of them since I already have one. But did I mention how absolutely gorgeous they are?

That brings me to the PIF. I can upgrade my present EverReady '29 Shovelhead and keep the spirit of his "rescued razors" by doing this. Everyone is happy, the spirit of the rescued razor is retained and someone is going to get a razor since I need to pay forward my new and very reasonably priced razors, but particularly the Shovelhead.

So here it is gents. It yields a fantastic shave with minimal effort if you have your technique down.

[Image: EverReady_1919-1.jpg]
Stock photo from my Photobucket acct.; not the actual razor, but it looks much the same.

It's a shave ready (I'll clean it in Planisol-M before shipping it) EverReady '29 Shovelhead razor. I know it works 100% because it's straight out of my cabinet. This is not a newby razor! It's aggressive! Understand that. It's not collector grade, it's user grade, but you won't feel shame by having it in your cabinet.

The qualifications for the PIF? You need to not have a Shovelhead in your rotation, feel qualified to use it right now (it's aggressive) or just want to reach a little bit, not want it for resale; it's to be used, and, well, that's all I can think of. If you decide it isn't for you after trying it to your satisfaction then you need to PIF it to someone on this forum. Scouts honor will do, we're all gentlemen. You need to post by midnight on the 16th; 00:00:01 on the 17th won't be valid. My neighbor won't be awake until normal hours so the winner may not be decided until sometime on the 17th, it all depends on how I randomly select the winner and I haven't gotten that far with this idea yet. I have 2 weeks to decide. If you want to suggest a way I should randomly select the winner, that works too.

Other than that just tell me that you want to be included and I'll draw the lucky winner by pure chance by some means. That may be as simple as calling my neighbor and asking him to pick a number between one and whatever.

International will be OK. But if you live in Tano Tuva and if the postal officials are corrupt there I'd rather not deliver the razor to them if you get my meaning.

There may be something extra included in the PIF too. I don't want the winner to be walking around with irritated or dry skin. How would that look? Oh, and you won't need blades. After all, what's a razor w/o a few blades?

Have at it gents! You have 2 weeks to get signed up.

If you want to know more about this razor...More EverReady '29 info

If you don't see your name on the list below and want to participate be sure you let me know.

Participants thus far:

1. Lindyhop66
2. Gearhead_1
3. Leo
4. Dirty Texan
5. Jbyrnes88
6. Celestino
7. Nova316
8. Howler
9. Saliavin

I had random.org randomize the numbered list.

List Randomizer
There were 9 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. 2. Gearhead_1
2. 1. Lindyhop66
3. 4. Dirty Texan
4. 9. Saliavin
5. 5. Jbyrnes88
6. 8. Howler
7. 3. Leo
8. 6. Celestino
9. 7. Nova316
Timestamp: 2012-05-17 05:09:38 UTC

Gearhead_1 is the winner! Please PM me an address to send it to.

Thanks for participating Gents! To those who didn't win, there are always other PIFs, better luck then.

Here's what Gearhead_1 won:
(obviously the razor)
[Image: PIF_Winner.jpg]

32 6,309
 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
I love SE's and this one I've never heard of. Please count me in. Thank you.

21 1,476
 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Well done, Brian! I'm not a participant but love the spirit both you and Johnny put behind this. Cool

35 2,703
 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
User Info
(05-02-2012, 06:12 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Well done, Brian! I'm not a participant but love the spirit both you and Johnny put behind this. Cool

Thanks, but I have no idea if John knows I'm even doing this. I just wanted to honor the spirit in which he offers his razors. He actually provides a fantastic service.

32 6,309
 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM
User Info
Please count me in.

0 145
 05-03-2012, 02:34 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Don't count me in. Just wanted to say that Brian and Johnny both are class acts.

116 3,804
 05-03-2012, 03:52 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Brain, great PIF. Please though do not include me in your PIF.

1 3,507
 05-03-2012, 05:06 AM
User Info
I have a G-Bar that I use all the time* and an OCMM that sees rare usage. I like to use a razor for the life of one blade before moving on in my rotation, and the OCMM is more of a weekend razor for me. I take extra time with it and get great shaves, but it absolutely will not tolerate inattention. I do love the sound that an SE makes. I imagine that is the sound the sun is making just before it scrapes over the horizon.

In short, if you judge it on par with or less aggressive than the OCMM, I'd love to use it. It would get less than 15% face time just based on my DE rotation, but it would get used. If it is more aggressive than the OCMM, let another guy give it a go. Any more aggressive than the OCMM calls for snake charmer nerve.

*for my legs, actually. I'm an avid road cyclist.

3 195
 05-03-2012, 05:48 AM
User Info
(05-02-2012, 06:15 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(05-02-2012, 06:12 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Well done, Brian! I'm not a participant but love the spirit both you and Johnny put behind this. Cool

Thanks, but I have no idea if John knows I'm even doing this. I just wanted to honor the spirit in which he offers his razors. He actually provides a fantastic service.

I do now. lol
Thanks for the kind words and offering up a great shaver.
Also, your SE's are in the mail and should arrive Saturday.

9 451
 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
User Info
DirtyTexan,

I'm going to put you in the drawing. It's about on a par with an OCMM, but when they get to that level of aggressive it's just hard for me to tell.

It yields a shave every bit as close and easy as an OCMM.

If you don't like it PIF it away. All you'll lose is a few bucks to try it and you may find you like it.

32 6,309
 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
User Info
(05-03-2012, 08:33 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: DirtyTexan,

I'm going to put you in the drawing. It's about on a par with an OCMM, but when they get to that level of aggressive it's just hard for me to tell.

It yields a shave every bit as close and easy as an OCMM.

If you don't like it PIF it away. All you'll lose is a few bucks to try it and you may find you like it.

Thanks for considering me. I had a re-introduction to the OCMM today based on this post, and it left me with a very close shave and several mystery weepers. We weren't good enough friends to have such time apart without needing to be introduced to one another again. I'll stick with it until Monday (or beyond if I don't get any substitute teaching gigs) to re-learn the sweet spot.

3 195
 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
Nice PIF. Don't count me, I have plenty of SE razors for now.

184 12,003
 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
Please count me in!

0 33
 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
Brian,
i would love to try the razor, so if you can include me, i AM in, please! Thanks, my friend.

75 20,883
 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
  • Nova316
  • Alberta, Canada
User Info
I'd love to try an aggressive SE.
You can include me! Thanks a bunch

0 33
 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I like to be added also.

1 3,507
 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
I've got one I'm afraid, I can't be included. It is a fine shaver though. Someone will like it.

0 51
 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
I had removed my name as I was not sure if I could handle the aggressiveness but I changed my mind again so please keep my name on the list.

0 126
 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
WILCO Leo

If it turns out you can't handle it, just PIF it out. Basically, for a few bucks postage to send it to another person you get to try it if you win it. That makes it no worse than a traveling razor. Unlike a traveling razor, if you like it you keep it. Such a deal!

32 6,309
 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
I would like to be included. I tried out a OCMM on a tour, and thought it was nice(needed more feedback for doing my head). I have been looking for a nice SE since seeing your reviews without any luck. Thanks.

0 103