02-22-2014, 10:21 PM
User Info
This week a new razor arrived and I was eager to try it out. After reading so much about the R41, I was finally getting a chance try one out. Because of their reputation for smoothness, I loaded a Voskhod blade and lathered up the Tabac. After 2 strokes WTG, I realized this razor wanted a different blade. I swapped in a Lab and was rewarded with a very smooth and efficient WTG pass. After an XTG pass I had a BBS on most of my face with a little DFS on my tricky neck spots. The first time I was able to achieve this in 2 passes. A splash of CO9T testified that it was a close but clean shave. WOW, I love it! The handles finer texture surprised me with good wet finger traction too. It was a little slippery with soapy fingers, but my wet hands had a more secure grip than when everything is completely dry. Nice.
This razor will definitely be in my rotation. I am very happy with my latest purchase.

7 83
 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Very good shaves, yes indeed. I was happy, too. And yes, they do seems to be very attuned to particular types of blade. It seems amazing that you can go longer between shaves, too. With a BBS, you'd think, well, how can it get closer than this? But it does Smile

I see R41 heads and caps (and a guard) can be purchased separately from Shaving.ie ... What I'd like is to buy the Grande handle, though, just to try it out. Mine is the standard handle. Does anyone happen to know if the Grande handle is able to be purchased separately?

0 1,760
 02-23-2014, 05:33 AM
User Info
The 41s no matter what handle you use give outstanding shaves. Use it well.

121 13,115
 02-23-2014, 05:58 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Depends on what size hands you have.

0 1,760
 02-23-2014, 08:24 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(02-22-2014, 10:26 PM)Shaun Wrote: Very good shaves, yes indeed. I was happy, too. And yes, they do seems to be very attuned to particular types of blade. It seems amazing that you can go longer between shaves, too. With a BBS, you'd think, well, how can it get closer than this? But it does Smile

I see R41 heads and caps (and a guard) can be purchased separately from Shaving.ie ... What I'd like is to buy the Grande handle, though, just to try it out. Mine is the standard handle. Does anyone happen to know if the Grande handle is able to be purchased separately?

I have the standard handle and the Grande. The Grande is the better handle , makes the razor feel totally different. Only problem with the Grande handle is I wish it had more heft.

You might just contact some shaving vendors and simply ask if they can sell you a Grande handle.

I've asked a handle maker to make me a 4 inch long Fat Handle Tech handle . It'll have the length of the Grande handle but hopefully a little heavier.

15 541
 02-23-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
(02-23-2014, 08:24 AM)Hanzo Wrote:
(02-22-2014, 10:26 PM)Shaun Wrote: Very good shaves, yes indeed. I was happy, too. And yes, they do seems to be very attuned to particular types of blade. It seems amazing that you can go longer between shaves, too. With a BBS, you'd think, well, how can it get closer than this? But it does Smile

I have the standard handle and the Grande. The Grande is the better handle , makes the razor feel totally different. Only problem with the Grande handle is I wish it had more heft.

You might just contact some shaving vendors and simply ask if they can sell you a Grande handle.

I've asked a handle maker to make me a 4 inch long Fat Handle Tech handle . It'll have the length of the Grande handle but hopefully a little heavier.

You're right about a handle making the razor feel completely different. Glad I knew Cooncatbob when he was alive. Good luck with your new handle.

9 1,203
 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
User Info

Yes it can. I have the r41 grande, tried it with my ej89l handle and liked it better. You can email Muhle from their web site and they will sell you one through email using paypal or a credit card to pay. I think it was $18.00 for the handle and $12.00 for shipping. It was about 10 days for delivery.

0 23
 02-24-2014, 05:47 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Cool, thanks for that.

0 1,760
 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I gave the R41 (newest version) a fair shot and while I was getting BBS shaves with it I always ended up with weepers and nicks. The Fatip seems to be my threshold for aggressiveness, but my preference is for razors more towards the medium level. I would rather do three passes with some touching up to get to an irritation-free shave ,this hobby is all about taking time to enjoy the luxury (for me) after all.

144 2,746
 02-27-2014, 10:32 PM
  • Westaway
  • Lawrenceville, GA
User Info
(02-26-2014, 11:48 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I gave the R41 (newest version) a fair shot and while I was getting BBS shaves with it I always ended up with weepers and nicks. The Fatip seems to be my threshold for aggressiveness, but my preference is for razors more towards the medium level. I would rather do three passes with some touching up to get to an irritation-free shave ,this hobby is all about taking time to enjoy the luxury (for me) after all.

I believe that you should take all the time you want with your favorite razor and have as many latherings and passes as you wish. Then when you are finished with the fun part of the morning, lather up one final time and lightly touch up your face with a 2011 R41 to remove the almost undetectable stubble that other razors can't seem to find. I haven't yet been able to get that close using only my 2013 R41 Grande. It takes what it takes.

0 34
 02-28-2014, 08:54 AM
User Info
Congratulations with the R41!

82 21,077