02-23-2014, 11:21 AM
User Info
I want to start by saying that I don't mean to offend anyone who sells in "lots." I understand why this is done but I wanted to vent about it.

When I got into wet shaving a few years back, I acquired and sold a ton of stuff via BST sections on multiple forums. I don't really remember there being so many lot sales. I always sold and bought individual items.

REcently, I feel like the amount of "lot sales" has skyrocketed and I find some of them unreasonable. Soaps combined with razor stands and blades and Nivea aftershave, etc. I understand lots if they are feasible like "A lot of Mike's Shaving Soap" offering a few tins of Mike's.

I just have seen too many items I want pass me by because they are part of a lot and I'm sure others feel the same.

Is it the rising cost of shipping? Is it the ease of packaging? Either way, I feel that it is slightly (just slightly) contrary to the gentlemanly nature of the BST.

32 344
 02-23-2014, 11:37 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
For me, the price of shipping is the limiting factor, in terms of offering individual, lower price items.

Most buyers are not willing to pay $5 shipping for an individual item that's less than $15, for example.

119 19,576
 02-23-2014, 11:43 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Shipping cost is a HUGE factor in offering items for sale as lots.

It costs me more than $20 to send up to 500 grams from Australia to the US.

IMO it's not ungentlemanly practise, but common sense to offer a number of products to make the sale worthwhile. The BST and successful sales are driven by the buyer and not the seller...

101 18,026
 02-23-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
hey - that's reasonable ben! it costs me more than us$50 for any parcel with tracking.

7 1,624
 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM
User Info
I can understand both sides of this issue. While shipping costs definitely are a limiting factor in many sales, I also have seen individual lot items that I desired and for which I would have willingly paid the necessary shipping cost.

250 14,669
 02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
User Info
As a buyer, I would be willing to pay additional for shipping on individual items. ...I do understand that the bst is driven by the buyer and the market has spoken.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 344
 02-23-2014, 02:47 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I guess one can say ... from a buyer's perspective, it can't hurt to ask if one is interested in a particular item only, and is willing to incur the associated shipping costs.

119 19,576
 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-23-2014, 02:47 PM)Agravic Wrote: I guess one can say ... from a buyer's perspective, it can't hurt to ask if one is interested in a particular item only, and is willing to incur the associated shipping costs.

Signs011

101 18,026
 02-23-2014, 11:31 PM
User Info
You could always buy the lot, keep the item you're interested in, and put rest back up for sale. If that seems like too much work, then you can understand why the original seller wants to sell the items as a lot to begin with.

0 836
 02-24-2014, 03:54 AM
User Info
I can see both sides, but shipping to Norway is expensive either way. If I see something I really want from a lot, I'll PM the seller about selling it separate.

3 7,296
 02-25-2014, 05:27 AM
User Info
Yeah, I've bought a few lots for one item in them. It can be annoying to have to buy a bunch of unwanted items just to get one you want.

However, as people have said here - when you're selling many little items, shipping piles up. Also, packaging gets to be an issue if you have to send out a bunch of little items. It takes time and effort to package 10-15 items individually, and you may only be selling each of those for a few dollars.

39 1,750
 02-25-2014, 01:23 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(02-25-2014, 05:27 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Yeah, I've bought a few lots for one item in them. It can be annoying to have to buy a bunch of unwanted items just to get one you want.

However, as people have said here - when you're selling many little items, shipping piles up. Also, packaging gets to be an issue if you have to send out a bunch of little items. It takes time and effort to package 10-15 items individually, and you may only be selling each of those for a few dollars.

I have this issue and was wondering how to handle it. I was thinking of offering some of the smaller items as a modified PIF. I would offer to send any item to anyone in CONUS for $5. The item gets a new home and the postage is not an issue. All of these items are worth more than the postage.

Any comments on this idea.

19 574
 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
User Info
'Yours for the price of shipping' PIFs are pretty common. While people generally absorb the price of a single PIFd item, it's unreasonable for them to do so for several individual items.

It may drop the number of applicants for the PIF, but you'll still get rid of the items in question.

39 1,750
 02-25-2014, 02:26 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Im pretty indifferent either way to the practice. I have found if there is a certain item you want sooner or later it will turn up solo on a forum or an auction site, you just have to be patient. I have also seen lots sold that were darn near perfect. Ive seen perfect starter set up lots sold. Ive seen brush/soap lots sold that gave a beginner opportunity to try badger and boar brushes, soaps, creams and croaps, all for a fraction of the cost if they had to buy the items individually. I suppose it has its good and its bad.
What bother me more than lots are soaps or creams (often part of a lot) that are over 50% used being sold. I dont know why but paying for someones over half used software like that rubs me the wrong way, but thats another thread! lol

9 429
 02-27-2014, 09:04 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
I occasionally sell "lots" of items. Shipping costs, packaging and time are my main reasons for selling a "lot".

I've done brushes where I sold three brushes for $20 including shipping. I'd never sell each of those individually. I've done the same with soaps. It's easier to sell three soaps bundled together than three single soaps at a higher cost each.

Some times people will also have a large set of listings for sale, and at the end have a number of items left over. Those items sometimes get "bundled up" together and sold in a single lot at a hugely discounted price just to get rid of the items without resorting to just throwing them away.

129 4,001
 03-08-2014, 02:22 PM
User Info
(02-23-2014, 11:31 PM)5Savages Wrote: You could always buy the lot, keep the item you're interested in, and put rest back up for sale. If that seems like too much work, then you can understand why the original seller wants to sell the items as a lot to begin with.

Signs011Signs011CheersCheers

(02-25-2014, 01:39 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: 'Yours for the price of shipping' PIFs are pretty common. While people generally absorb the price of a single PIFd item, it's unreasonable for them to do so for several individual items.

It may drop the number of applicants for the PIF, but you'll still get rid of the items in question.

Exactly - I will often try to sell a brush or a razor and then include a cream and a stand or a EDT for the cost of the shipping from me to the buyer.

I pay anything from $35-$60 to ship anything out of Denmark with a tracking number. How do you want me to sell items such as soaps/creams/after shaves, when the shipping price exceeds what the entire product cost brand new Huh

25 6,911
 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM
User Info
(02-23-2014, 11:37 AM)Agravic Wrote: For me, the price of shipping is the limiting factor, in terms of offering individual, lower price items.

Most buyers are not willing to pay $5 shipping for an individual item that's less than $15, for example.

I've had that too....folks unwilling to pay the $8 shipping for a $15 pot. I so wanted to offer to charge them $30 for the pot, so they'd feel better about the shipping, but of course did not.

0 81