02-23-2014, 08:37 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Edit: See the most recent collection photos on post #38

I found myself with a few extra hours today and decided I would update my butterscotch and restoration pictures. Then I realized that I should go ahead and grab all of them and just post it for others to enjoy. There are a few brushes that appear in more than one photograph because, as I mentioned, I was originally planning on updating specific threads.

Butterscotch (my main addiction):
[Image: tY0HTOi.jpg]
[Image: RtwGifp.jpg]
[Image: uCHvRRj.jpg]
[Image: Bj215p9.jpg]
[Image: XovvVuJ.jpg]
[Image: Px90jm8.jpg]

Restorations completed by me, still in rotation:
[Image: QkLWCZp.jpg]

Boars, Horses and mixed:
[Image: oHMjIPG.jpg]

Modern(ish):
[Image: vKyXuBS.jpg]

I have more brushes on the way that I will add here later on and several brushes in the garage awaiting restoration, but overall I am very pleased with my selection and there are a few that may be destined for a new home, but none are rushing out the door.

136 2,568
 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Beautiful collection!

97 17,986
 02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
Dave, that really is impressive! If you would be willing, I'd like to read commentary on any of the brushes or even their restorations, favorites, etc. Only if you'd like.

Thanks for sharing!

47 1,270
 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Tom are there any in particular you would like to read about? I'm afraid if I went into detail on each brush it would make for a very dry read. There are a few that have yet to be used in actual shaving, but the rest are still on hand because they met my tastes. Brushes get a quick boot if they are to scritchy or floppy and the majority are used exclusively for face lathering.

The restored brushes are:
Back row L to R:
Kent butterscotch w/ Frank's HMW, Simpson AS2M w/ VS (Virginia Sheng) Silvertip, Simpson MF5 w/ TGN XD Finest, Vie Long Beehive w/ VS Silvertip, Vie Long Beehive w/ Frank's Finest
Front row L to R:
Omega 49 w/ LioJuny Finest, Made Rite with TGN Silvertip A, Vulfix 2236 w/ VS Finest

136 2,568
 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM
User Info
Wow, what a fine collection!

I have a much smaller addiction to All-Amber and translucent handles, myself! Biggrin

80 20,986
 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM
User Info
(02-23-2014, 09:31 PM)blzrfn Wrote: Tom are there any in particular you would like to read about? I'm afraid if I went into detail on each brush it would make for a very dry read. There are a few that have yet to be used in actual shaving, but the rest are still on hand because they met my tastes. Brushes get a quick boot if they are to scritchy or floppy and the majority are used exclusively for face lathering.

The restored brushes are:
Back row L to R:
Kent butterscotch w/ Frank's HMW, Simpson AS2M w/ VS (Virginia Sheng) Silvertip, Simpson MF5 w/ TGN XD Finest, Vie Long Beehive w/ VS Silvertip, Vie Long Beehive w/ Frank's Finest
Front row L to R:
Omega 49 w/ LioJuny Finest, Made Rite with TGN Silvertip A, Vulfix 2236 w/ VS Finest

That's neat, Dave. And I've never seen a badger knot in an Omega 49 handle. I was not wanting to read about one in particular; I'm interested in what brushes people gravitate to and what "speaks" to them. Or an interesting restore story. Really just a encouragement for you to elaborate in your great thread.

I really like this Vie-Long beehive restores; such fantastic handles.

47 1,270
 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM
User Info
The best addiction you can have! Great brushes there.

7 1,182
 02-24-2014, 04:50 AM
User Info
A very nice brush collection. Beautiful brushes.

20 739
 02-24-2014, 04:58 AM
User Info
Nice brushes. The brush in the 2nd picture, The brush on the Right the butterscotch one. Can you tell me about that handle I have one just like it but dont know anything about it.

4 90
 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Yes - you have an addiction. Definitely.

But thats more "pot-calling-kettle" than anything else.

17 535
 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(02-24-2014, 04:58 AM)Jeremydelagarza Wrote: Nice brushes. The brush in the 2nd picture, The brush on the Right the butterscotch one. Can you tell me about that handle I have one just like it but dont know anything about it.

I'm not sure I can be of too much assistance but I did do some research when I received it. I do have a before picture that clearly shows the Kent logo and it appears the model is either MCC, MGC, M6C or MOC. The knot on mine had damage, but I could tell the hair was of vintage "Best" quality similar to Simpson or Rooney. This vintage Best hair is among my favorites and I was sad that I couldn't salvage the knot despite my best efforts.

[Image: dyq0NMJ.jpg]

(02-23-2014, 11:20 PM)kentclark Wrote: That's neat, Dave. And I've never seen a badger knot in an Omega 49 handle. I was not wanting to read about one in particular; I'm interested in what brushes people gravitate to and what "speaks" to them. Or an interesting restore story. Really just a encouragement for you to elaborate in your great thread.

I really like this Vie-Long beehive restores; such fantastic handles.

The Omega brush is a real performer. I originally removed the boar knot to install into an Jerusalem Olivewood handle commonly available on eBay. The empty handle sat around for several months before I found a killer price on a LioJuny (sp?) 28mm Finest knot. I filled the handle with hot glue to add some weight and then inserted the knot with a 52mm loft, mimicking some of the more high end "Stubby" brushes. The result is excellent. I took a similar approach with the Vie Long Beehive brushes, except I didn't attempt to salvage the knot as I didn't care for them and there was no need to fill the handle as they were already solid resin. The 2-band Beehive is a Frank's finest and the 3-band is a Virginia Sheng Silvertip, both are great performers.

136 2,568
 02-24-2014, 10:22 AM
User Info
Very cool looking.

108 12,684
 02-25-2014, 03:24 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
You have a problem indeed, sir. Biggrin Beautiful collection!

26 4,764
 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
User Info
Wow nice collection of brushes.

0 85
 02-25-2014, 11:50 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Nice butterscotch!
I've never seen a vintage tulip butterscotch tho

16 423
 02-26-2014, 01:05 AM
User Info
Beautiful collection! I like to restore a brush too.

Enviado de meu GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk

2 1,404
 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(02-25-2014, 11:50 PM)Lando Wrote: Nice butterscotch!
I've never seen a vintage tulip butterscotch tho

I believe that is what this brush is, but I can't be certain. The brush was mishandled over its long life and the only identifiable markings were a faint "BEST BADGER" in classic vintage Simpson format. But, I can't be certain that this it is indeed a Simpson because I can't find any other examples on the Google Image library and there is always a chance that another brand used a similar font.

[Image: aa5PhzE.jpg]
[Image: 8gAyJ6v.jpg]

As you can see the only step I have taken thus far is to fill the crack with epoxy so that it hopefully survives the knot removal process intact. If anybody recognizes this handle shape I would be greatly appreciative of any leads.

136 2,568
 02-27-2014, 08:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very impressive collection.

174 23,709
 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Gorgeous collection Dave!

The butterscotch handles are exquisite. They all seem to be polished up quite nicely.
What do you do to give them all that nice luster?

19 591
 02-27-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
Wonderful collection!

65 2,134