10-03-2017, 09:49 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It's been awhile since I have ordered a brand new brush and quite honestly haven't been sorely tempted by much.  However an e-mail from Gifts&Care did catch my eye as they released a new Epsilon series Barber brush.  I am a fan of my original release Epsilon Silvertip and enjoyed the 2-band version as well, though I ended up selling that one as I preferred the softer tips of the Silvertip.  I won't say that I regret selling that 2-band Epsilon as the handle was a bit small and I didn't value the knot enough to warrant keeping it around.  This new Barber style brush, however, would solve the handle ergonomics issue, we'll have to see if the knot can live up to that original release though.

[Image: Ld62wRp.jpg][Image: sQqVr1S.jpg][Image: pKX9rgh.jpg][Image: 4wXPcw9.jpg]

I'll post up a review after using this brush for a few shaves.

145 2,752
 10-03-2017, 10:17 AM
User Info
This new handle addresses the problem of the original Epsilon handle being too small.   I'm interested in your thoughts about the quality of the handle material and workmanship.

50 6,107
 10-03-2017, 02:14 PM
User Info
I've heard some initial reports that question whether the knot lives up to the original. Fine looking brush, though. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts as well!

23 635
 10-03-2017, 06:31 PM
User Info
I'm surprised you went for the higher loft option.

I would have bought the 50mm. Tried to. They were sold out.

I hope to hear your thoughts on it soon Dave.

9 1,415
 10-03-2017, 07:13 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Looks fine. Also looking to hearing how it performs for you.

60 1,601
 10-04-2017, 01:39 AM
User Info
Beauty!

0 356
 10-11-2017, 08:45 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
[Image: h7EqwjN.jpg][Image: DloPFgI.jpg][Image: a0Aecgd.jpg]

Just another Somerset beauty.  I usually pass on Polos larger than the size 8, but the low loft on this one sucked me in.  The hair is very thin and pliable making for less backbone than I expected, but the lower loft balanced that out very well.  The handle is very hefty, yet ergonomic and displays amazing craftsmanship with lathing marks being barely detectable.  This won't be a favorite, but is definitely collection worthy.

145 2,752
 10-11-2017, 08:36 PM
User Info
That's a beauty Dave.

I'm sorry, but that has me covetous. It looks like a portobello mushroom on an old marble statue. So captivating. Very very nice.

I see why you bought it.

I am still wondering where the Polo 12 that was on and off eBay for the past few months ended up. It was a proud ask by the seller and sort of an in between vintage. The knot to my eye was unremarkable and very tall. A year ago I'd had likely rolled the dice since the Polo is about as good as handle comfort gets for me. I didn't feel up to reknotting such a big boy had it turned out to have any issues I couldn't suffer.

9 1,415
 10-12-2017, 03:16 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(10-11-2017, 08:45 AM)blzrfn Wrote: [Image: h7EqwjN.jpg][Image: DloPFgI.jpg][Image: a0Aecgd.jpg]

Just another Somerset beauty.  I usually pass on Polos larger than the size 8, but the low loft on this one sucked me in.  The hair is very thin and pliable making for less backbone than I expected, but the lower loft balanced that out very well.  The handle is very hefty, yet ergonomic and displays amazing craftsmanship with lathing marks being barely detectable.  This won't be a favorite, but is definitely collection worthy.

I agree about the Polo shape and sizes for sure. I've owned Polo's that had some of the best 2 band knots going, but sold them for my dislike of the handle. Good example of looks nice, but terrible in the hand.

143 1,984
 10-12-2017, 08:37 AM
User Info
Bakerbarber hit it absolutely on the head.  portebello mushroom on a marble statue.  lol     great find

73 1,297
 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
My third attempt at falling in love with the famed Rooney 2XL:

[Image: SJuEoPv.jpg][Image: pLawwz3.jpg][Image: WDljnTk.jpg][Image: E9mltFm.jpg]

145 2,752
 Yesterday, 06:27 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Stunning 2XL - I hope the 3rd time is the charm

8 457
 Yesterday, 06:43 PM
User Info
Very cool brush.

9 1,415