02-24-2014, 08:23 AM
User Info
Hi Gents,
I am burning up today. Today's shave was my first with Mitchell's Wool Fat; combined with my Feather AS-D2 (non-shimmed) and a new Astra Blade. Showered per usual; did NOT use my Proraso pre-shave, which I usually use. (I wanted to see what kind of protection the MWF would give me.) Face lathered and I thought that I achieved a really great lather. Not too sticky; not too airy; really luxurious. Maybe a got a bad blade. I usually use the Feather blades. I am finished with these Astra blades. I know a lot of fellows like them. They are really cheap, but what kind of savings is there when they tear up your neck? Anyway, I am going to have to sit Tuesday out to recover. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

39 3,919
 02-24-2014, 09:10 AM
User Info
I tried the Astra Plats. I myself was not a fan of them either.

0 295
 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It happens to me every once in a while, usually caused by too much pressure or bad blade angle. It usually goes away after a couple of hours so I don't have to miss the next day's shave, but it usually whips me back into focus so the next several shaves are on point. I can usually tell within a few strokes if I have a bad blade and I go ahead and replace it on the spot. Bad technique, though, usually builds up gradually pass-by-pass and I have nothing to blame except my own self. Try applying a little aloe vera and/or witch hazel a few times today to see if it speeds up the recovery.

144 2,752
 02-24-2014, 09:54 AM
User Info
You may want to try some unrefined shea butter to help with the burn. Best of luck.

83 21,077
 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
let me ask you: did you face lather for quite a long time? maybe it is brush burn.

7 1,624
 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Is it possible that the lanolin from MWF made your skin burn?

10 963
 02-24-2014, 12:20 PM
User Info
I love da Fat but Astras chewed me up pretty good, I will never use them again

0 4
 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM
User Info
Lots of helpful suggestions, thank you all. I did indeed face lather for a good amount of time. But I can't say it was any longer than I do with my Proraso, for instance. I am going to first eliminate the Astra blades. I am only grateful that I wasn't shaving with my Merkur 37C!
Interestingly enough, I shave 6 days a week, so my skin is really used to DE. There were other "blade" symptoms: Difficulty on the chin (never an issue) Third pass ATG, usually is a snap. Today, not so good. Angry I feel that I have the angle down and am fairly confident that I wasn't putting too much pressure, but I know that I'll be extra careful next shave.

39 3,919
 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
Another variable is that you did not use your Proraso pre-shave. Because the pre-shave provides extra protection you can get away with exerting some extra pressure while shaving. The burn can be a combination of sensitivity to the lanolin in MWF, lack of Proraso Pre-Shave, too much pressure, inaccurate blade angle and overstretching. Go back to the Feather blade and using Prorase Pre. Also, pay close attention to technique to ensure you are leting the weight of the razor do the work. If there is still a burning sensation, discontinue using MWF. Good luck and keep us apprised!

0 295
 02-25-2014, 05:40 AM
User Info
(02-24-2014, 01:02 PM)Rockford Wrote: Another variable is that you did not use your Proraso pre-shave. Because the pre-shave provides extra protection you can get away with exerting some extra pressure while shaving. The burn can be a combination of sensitivity to the lanolin in MWF, lack of Proraso Pre-Shave, too much pressure, inaccurate blade angle and overstretching. Go back to the Feather blade and using Prorase Pre. Also, pay close attention to technique to ensure you are leting the weight of the razor do the work. If there is still a burning sensation, discontinue using MWF. Good luck and keep us apprised!

I loved The Rockford Files!" Thanks Jimbo.

39 3,919
 02-25-2014, 09:53 PM
User Info
The one and only time I ever got razor burn was when I got cocky and used less than optimum lather. Heck, I knew better, but I was superman, at least until the exposed nerve endings told me differently.

I tried Astras and while they might be inexpensive, for what I got from them, well, I won't buy any more of them. They didn't make the cut and I had high hopes for them since so many gents like them.

The only cure for razor burn is time. If it truly was razor burn it's exposed nerve endings. The only cure is to let the skin heal itself. That takes about 12 hours or so. The sensation of burn can be masked however and soothed.

32 6,459
 02-26-2014, 04:52 AM
User Info
(02-25-2014, 09:53 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The one and only time I ever got razor burn was when I got cocky and used less than optimum lather. Heck, I knew better, but I was superman, at least until the exposed nerve endings told me differently.

I tried Astras and while they might be inexpensive, for what I got from them, well, I won't buy any more of them. They didn't make the cut and I had high hopes for them since so many gents like them.

The only cure for razor burn is time. If it truly was razor burn it's exposed nerve endings. The only cure is to let the skin heal itself. That takes about 12 hours or so. The sensation of burn can be masked however and soothed.

I am putting the blame on the blades. (Why should my shoddy technique be responsible?) Wink

39 3,919
 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have tried two different Personna Lab blues this week in two different razors and I have suffered some mild irritation each shave. I am surprised at this result, but it looks like the Blues aren't for me.

144 2,752
 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
(02-24-2014, 12:20 PM)OC513 Wrote: I love da Fat but Astras chewed me up pretty good, I will never use them again

Same. Not chewed me up, but they weren't very smooth. MWF is one of my faves though.

12 848
 02-27-2014, 03:18 PM
User Info
Today I shaved with the Fat; Proraso Pre-shave; New Merkur blade; and my Merkur 180. No muss; no fuss; no burn.
Cheers, Gents.

Oh, and by the way, I have gifted the remaining Astra blades to my son. Maybe he'll have better luck.Blush

39 3,919
 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM
  • XP100
  • Veteran Shaver!
  • Florida, USA
User Info
I had something similar happen when trying a new shave soap. Everything else being equal I left out the RazoRock Lime oil I'd been using with every shave prior. All the ingredients in the shave soap were nearly identical too, just trying a different Limited Edition fragrance for Valentine's Day. My neck looked as bad as it used to when using 5-blade Fusion carts, red bumps and burns. Of course my first thought was it's the soap. Next shave, same soap, used the RazoRock as a pre-shave and the results were loads better, no irritation whatever. Granted I also found Astra SPs not by far that great for my face, but wasn't using them during this finding. Having figured that out I've also found when using pre-shaves I don't need to shave as carefully, it gives me more protection and I found myself not shaving lightly. Using the same pressure, without it, I get irritation regardless of what soap I'm using. I have found, just recently, that shaving soaps containing menthol give me a lot of post-shave irritation and yes even burning, so I could have a slight allergy or just sensitivity to menthol when shaving. Never tried wool soap, really want to, I get fantastic results using RazoRock S. Maria shave cream without using any pre-shave, menthol-free eucalyptus i can handle and love the fragrance, I think it's the lanolin it contains that gives me the best results!

Sent from my SlimBean Shoe-Phone!

0 22
 02-28-2014, 03:48 AM
User Info
It happens due to an old blade or a bad angle..

0 10
 02-28-2014, 04:50 AM
User Info
ha - a bad angel AngelCool

7 1,624
 02-28-2014, 05:20 AM
User Info
I am hoping that I am not allergic to MWF. (That was the only real new difference). I am going for it again in about 20 minutes.

39 3,919
 02-28-2014, 05:32 AM
User Info
(02-28-2014, 05:20 AM)primotenore Wrote: I am hoping that I am not allergic to MWF. (That was the only real new difference). I am going for it again in about 20 minutes.

I hope it's not the soap too. MWF is on my short list for the next product I buy. But I am not overly sensitive and I don't anticipate any problems using it.

0 53