02-24-2014, 02:41 PM
User Info
I have a couple around Whipped Dog and Syntec but what is the desire fort them come from? They are made via petroleum products and are not natural at all. Natural bristle is real for those with religious reasons there is horse. I guess I don't get it? And then search for a soap thats vegan with nothing added. I get confusedA47A47

3 84
 02-24-2014, 03:01 PM
User Info
Your post has me confused Huh

15 771
 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM
User Info
could you please elaborate your question a bit more?

7 1,624
 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM
User Info
why do folks like them and want them, the ones I have tried leave so much to be desired. In terms of lathering and backbone. Natural brushes seem so superior.

3 84
 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
The best synthetics dry quickly, lather anything, are soft yet have good backbone are cheaper and perform more consistently than animal hair. There is no break in period or getting the smell out of them.

As for the fact that synthetic fibers are petroleum based, it is very difficult to completely avoid animal products in the modern world. Sometimes equal or superior man made alternatives do not exist. Many times it is not possible to find out if an ingredient started as a vegetable or animal byproduct. Also, there are situations where synthetics simply do not work very well, but this is not one of them.

I have a 25mm Muhle V2. I cannot find anything inferior about it. It does everything very well. Face or bowl lather, moisture control, flow. It's a joy to use it. I find no brush performance requirement for which animal hair would work better.

One is consistently faced with choices. So, for those of us who object to the unnecessary use of animals, we must decide which is worse, petroleum or killing. I choose petroleum.

19 566
 02-24-2014, 05:41 PM
User Info
Thanks Matloffm, that's the kind of information I was wondering about for you it's the animals, thanks and was trying to see different opinions

3 84
 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM
User Info
I use a synthetic brush mainly because it flat out outperforms every other brush out there. I don't have to be concerned about mistreating it and damaging it by lathering the way I like to with circular motions. I also have very hard water which is a non-issue when using a synthetic brush but can destroy lather quality with a natural hair brush. I am not vegan nor ever plan to be. I prefer vegan soaps because once again they outperform tallow soaps for me and my face.

31 8,058
 02-25-2014, 05:45 AM
User Info
informative posts, Thanks

3 84