02-24-2014, 08:13 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I'm preparing to order my first Shavemac brush and need help finalizing my decision. I am going to order a BeeHive style handle and am trying to settle on hair grade and knot shape. I'm a big fan of dense knots with good backbone w/as soft tips as possible...Over the past year I have gravitated toward many two band bulb shaped Simpson brushes and couldn't be happier...With this Shavemac I want to try something a bit different.

I've only had experience looking and feeling dry Shavemacs in B&M shops, noticing that the DO1 in both 2 and 3 band are quite dense and other than appearance the 2 band feels a bit scritchy with the 3 band feeling a bit less resilient minus the scritch factor...Both the regular silver tip and finest grades were very appealing, and I'm thinking these two hair grades are more in the direction I want to go in for this brush build. I also should mention that unless otherwise convinced I want this BeeHive in a Fan shaped knot...

Knowing the general specs are a 23mm knot set at 50mm loft with what I'm planning on being a fan shaped knot, what hair grade should I go with if I've ruled out the DO1 2-Band already? My hesitation is really based on whether to go with my gut and order in regular silvertip, or gain some more knowledge and advice and go with either Finest or DO1 3-Band? Is the reg silvertip too floppy especially in Fan shape?, or is the finest still super soft when wet but exhibiting more backbone by comparison? I'm also wondering if I need the extra density of DO1 3-band to have the backbone in fan shape, while still maintaining extremely soft tips w/backbone I'm looking for?

Please help point me in the best direction Mon Ami's Lightbulb

4 794
 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM
User Info
I have a Shavemac silvertip 23x52 in a bulb shape, and I think it is bordering towards floppy. It's certainly fine for me, and great all-around, but next time I would probably order a higher density. In a fan shape I would probably go as low as a 23x46 to counteract the way a fan will splay more, and with extra density in silvertip if that's the grade you want to go with.

16 249
 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM
User Info
I would go with the D-01 3-band in the dimensions and knot style you are planning. Don't be wary of the density of the D-01 3-band as you may find it a luxurious feel. Good luck.

82 21,056
 02-25-2014, 04:27 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I have a Beehive with a 23X52 bulb shaped knot. I chose the Finest badger and it is excellent. I have other shavemac brushes with silvertip, which I like very much, but the Finest probably has the better combination of soft tips, density and backbone, not to mention value. I haven't tried the DO1 silvertip or the DO1 2-band because from the descriptions I've read I think they'd be too dense and have too much backbone for me. My next shavemac would probably have a fan shaped Finest knot 21X50. The Beehive handle is one of the most attractive handles on the market and shavemac executes it very well.

5 884
 02-25-2014, 10:13 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Thank you guys for the solid input! I'm thinking black BeeHive at 23x50(maybe 48 loft) Fan w/DO1 3-Band...It sounds/looks like the fan with the slightly higher loft will work well with added density. I'll post pics down the line when I receive this beauty!

4 794
 02-26-2014, 04:49 AM
User Info
sounds much like tsn le 2013? Smile

7 1,624
 02-27-2014, 09:38 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(02-26-2014, 04:49 AM)tonsorius Wrote: sounds much like tsn le 2013? Smile

You are absolutely right in regard to the knot specs...I'm not sure about the hair qualities, as I've yet to use DO1 3-Band. 23x50 is in my happy median zone, just like the P8 TSN PHYL...I still enjoy using my larger brushes like Chubby 3, 2 and Polo8 along w/ brushes on the smaller side like the PJ1, Tulip1, Case and Wee Scot...They just seem to fill the voids between my more regular usage of medium size brushes that fall between...
I'm sold on the handle...I missed out on GERMANS Hive he had for sale, and only the size 1 Rooney Hive seems to be available...so for me choices really it came down to this Shavemac and the Vie Long BeeHive which unfortunately is a bulb knot...I went with the Shavemac due to the handle style/color and knot customization(Fan), although I was on the fence for a couple days...hope she arrives a beauty and thanks for the info from those who chimed in Biggrin

4 794
 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
New turn of events! After looking for a Rooney BeeHive Heritage 2 for months and only seeing out of stock...The day after ordering the Shavemac BeeHive DO1, I find a New Rooney BeeHive 2 Heritage I had been searching for...I had to order this bad boy too...Not sure if I'll keep both as they may be quite similar, although I've never used either hair grade from Shavemac or Rooney. Maybe I'll learn some sort of lesson after receiving both? I'm hoping both are unique enough to warrant keeping two gorgeous looking brushes.Angel

4 794
 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Both BeeHives have arrived!!! both unused, as of now...Today will be the Shavemac up first, tomorrow the Rooney...I'll switch back and forth for a little while to get a feel for these beauties!
First impressions of the Shavemac are IMO better than expected...The handle is an extremely ergonomic Beehive that is a beautiful black with solid weight just slightly shorter and less wide compared to the Rooney. The bottom portion differs from many beehives due to the indented lower handle section vs. rounded bottom pedestals for most versions, like the Rooney. The grip and pinch-ability of this lower pedestal is preferable in my hand, and I can imagine slightly better if handling while wet/soapy. The 3-band DO1 is better than expected, having the softer tips(hooked) while dry between it and the Rooney Super 3-Band. The density is intense as expected and can only be compared to my Simpson Classic 2 Best or Chubbys. The backbone is also more resilient and springy than expected, even compared to the above mentioned dense Simpsons.
The Rooney has a lovely beehive shape for their version and has a more evenly rounded "hive" section with more pronounced ring ridges compared with the Shavemac...This Rooney is indeed comfortable and attractive to my eye. The Hair is a gorgeous 3-Band Super Silvertip that has great density on par with your average Simpson Keyhole, Colonel, Milkchurn. the hair has shimmering silver tips that are hooked and very soft, rivaling my Simpson Super 3-Bands...very close but slight edge to both Simpson Super and certainly the Shavemac Beehive's DO1 Silvertip...The Rooney has less backbone compared to the Shavemac, but maintains more than my Simpson 3-Band Super brushes.
It's time to go try the Shavemac out! I'll post more pics after some use w/both brushes and some more comments once I'm acquainted Cool

[Image: 7irWhEZ.jpg]

4 794