05-02-2012, 07:40 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I just got my tub of Dr. Selby and I wanted to share with you guys. This cream is a bit more popular in the Spanish forum foroafeitado.com ever since I saw Carlos Fregar's video Ive been wanting to try it out. Finally I have the chance to do so. can't wait for tomorrows shave.

The tub is pretty nice its got a nice shape to it. It's a hard plastic kinda like TOBS container. The scent is also very nice. The cream states Lavender but It's unlike any lavender I've ever smelled. To me it smells like Fresh Green Herbs It's very nice smells refreshing and has a mild aroma..... Maybe they have different kinds of lavender in South America.

The tub also sais that its a 3 times concentrated cream. Its very dense and firm, firmer than Italian soft soap. I guess they just don't add much water to it when they manufacture it.

The back of the box states the following;

Method of use

1. Always leave the tub open and use the cap as a base. The reason is because Dr. Selby shaving cream (in the tub 3 times concentrated) will always have a dry surface and it will render 400 shaves. Only in case of travel cover the cream.

2. Wet the brush, discharge the water over your face then swirl the brush in the tub as shown in the image. This way the cream will not get wet and it will not waste too fast.

3. To multiply the cream production on your face. Wet the brush a little more and keep swirling until it turns creamy, compact with no air bubbles. ( I tried to translate as close as possible with out sounding too weird)

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Fragrance, CI 45350, CI 42015, CI 47005. Precautions: In case of irritation suspend its use. keep away from children.

I will shave with it tomorrow and report ASAP.

[Image: 78408130.jpg]

[Image: 95547706.jpg]

Today's shave was exceptionally great. Dr. Selby cream behaves very well. I used it as the instructions state. The cream was very thick, slick, air free and best of all smelled great. I think you can easily compare this cream to The Italian palmolives and TOBS. I see this stuff lasting a very long time. I hate creams and soaps that are airy this one doesn't disappoint one bit. Did I mention that it smells great!

[Image: 13186987.jpg]

I did this review on B&B a while ago. After having used this cream for a few months now. I will say that it is highly concentrated. and creates excellent lather. easily one of my favorite creams. I think that the cream pairs up well with Dominica Bay Rum.

1 265
 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
One of my fav shaving soaps too.The Stearic Acid which this soap contains comes from tallow,so the lather its pretty thick and slick.Some people dont like its scent but I do like it a lot.
One of the best shaving soaps out there IMHO.
Thanks for the inputs about this soap,Mynorx!

86 7,123
 05-03-2012, 04:01 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
A great review of this soap. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Adding another soap to my want list.

1 3,507
 05-03-2012, 07:01 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I love this soap as well.
I've seen comparisons to MdC by some people.

Thank you for the translation. I've been using a wetter brush to load this but I'm going to give it a try with a dryer brush and the water on my skin as you mention. Probably similar results, just something else to try out. Biggrin

6 905
 05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
User Info
I just bought a pot of this from MaxP and it got the nod for the shave this morning with a 37c slant loaded with a Voskhod. The shave was impeccable. I had no idea that this soap had tallow, but now I can't say that I'm surprised. It was an absolute blanket of awesomeness, and the skin conditioning was the best of any product I've tried to date. If this is in the same category as MdC, I'll skip MdC and just buy four more pots of this stuff!

(05-02-2012, 09:28 PM)Teiste Wrote: One of my fav shaving soaps too.The Stearic Acid which this soap contains comes from tallow,so the lather its pretty thick and slick.Some people dont like its scent but I do like it a lot.
One of the best shaving soaps out there IMHO.
Thanks for the inputs about this soap,Mynorx!

3 195
 05-06-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
I'm not a chemist, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong...Stearic Acid is Stearic Acid regardless of the source. That is, chemically they are the same and it shouldn't affect the performance of the soap/cream.

Anyway, this is great stuff, IMHO. Lathers super easily and gives a very good shave.

It doesn't smell anything like Lavender though, but I have encountered the synthetic "green" scent of this cream in one other product...Atkinsons for Gentlemen shave cream from Italy. It also has a similar green color, but comes in a tube.

0 189
 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM
User Info
Really would like to try this if its not the lavanda or aos lavender scent.

1 48
 05-06-2012, 04:07 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That was a great review and wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing.

100 12,447
 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-06-2012, 03:56 PM)global_dev Wrote: Really would like to try this if its not the lavanda or aos lavender scent.

It isn't.

45 16,352
 05-07-2012, 01:46 AM
User Info
An outstanding shaving soap. A kind friend from Brazil sent me a puck of this stuff some time ago. It was really a nice surprise, I could not believe how good this soap was.

Thank you for sharing the review and your nice pictures with us.

2 5,532
 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
My experiences are similar to those listed above. A great product. There is something about the lather that reminds me of MdC. Fast, plentiful, rich and creamy lather without any suds.

24 1,151
 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Curiosity has gotten the best of me. If anyone has a tub for sale or can tell me where to buy from I would appreciate it.

116 3,804
 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
User Info
You can find it in stock at Razor Blade & More. This is the only vendor I'm aware of, and unless he can get more, this might become hard to find after his current stock is sold out. Here's the link: http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...ream-125gr

24 1,151
 06-10-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
(06-07-2012, 01:52 PM)brothers Wrote: You can find it in stock at Razor Blade & More. This is the only vendor I'm aware of, and unless he can get more, this might become hard to find after his current stock is sold out. Here's the link: http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...ream-125gr

I thought Juan @ Gifts&Care carried this as well. Is this product not being sourced anymore?

31 7,914
 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Great soap, I'm not wild about the scent but I don't find it offensive either. Makes a great shaving lather, IMO.

12 743
 06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 12:40 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(06-07-2012, 01:52 PM)brothers Wrote: You can find it in stock at Razor Blade & More. This is the only vendor I'm aware of, and unless he can get more, this might become hard to find after his current stock is sold out. Here's the link: http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...ream-125gr

I thought Juan @ Gifts&Care carried this as well. Is this product not being sourced anymore?

Hopefully you're correct that there may be more than one vendor who's selling it.

24 1,151
 07-09-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I just received a pot of this and can't wait to shave with it in the morning!

43 1,690
 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info

I wanted to let you know that a new shipment is coming soon. Hoping to bring the aftershaves as well.

David

0 49
 07-12-2012, 09:26 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
David,

Thanks for getting the Dr. Selby to me with such lightning speed. I'm really enjoying the shaves.

Regarding scent, to me it smells like a muted version of Portman Square Notting Hill croap.

43 1,690
 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM
User Info
Andrew,

You are very welcome. Smile

Great scent description.

0 49