02-26-2014, 08:34 AM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
This great story was sent by family members and truly warms the heart. Hopefully it will post better on this try as it would be great for everyone to enjoy the story as I did. Doug

The Best Day Of Fishing Ever! Some fishing stories are a little hard to believe but this guy has pictures to prove his story . . . I've heard of salmon jumping into boats, but never anything quite like this . . .
Tom Satre told the Sitka Gazette that he was out with a charter group on his 62-foot fishing vessel when four juvenile black-tailed deer swam directly toward his boat
This is a picture I took of the rescued bucks on the back of my boat, the Alaska Quest. We headed for Taku Harbour. Once we reached the dock, the first buck that we had pulled from the water hopped onto the dock, looked back as if to say 'thank you' and disappeared into the forest. After a bit of prodding and assistance, two more followed, but the smallest deer needed a little more help.

[Image: FSfS5DB.jpg][Image: hiweq2T.jpg] [Image: dk5y1ie.jpg]

11 303
 02-26-2014, 08:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Now that's a nice story.

175 23,752
 02-26-2014, 08:39 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Wonderful. Smile

2 11,211
 02-26-2014, 08:54 AM
User Info
Wow! Now, that is a great fishing story! Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Only thing jumping in the boat with us here are ALLIGATORS and SNAKES... YIKES !!! lol

5 1,151
 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM
User Info
That's great, Doug. Thanks for sharing it.

206 12,188
 02-26-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
Filleted out with a little S&P and a bit of garlic, yumm!

It almost sounds as though they've done that before. Who needs a ticket!?

32 6,445
 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM
User Info
I can be a skeptic at times. This story didn't really add up, as there was no indication above why the deer needed to be rescued, or how they got them on the boat. Google to the rescue!

Long store short, the story IS true (happened over 3 years ago), but there's more to it that might help explain things. It's definitely worth a read.

http://juneauempire.com/stories/100810/o...3934.shtml

Quote:"They swam right toward the boat," he said. "Then, they started to circle the boat. They were looking up and looked like they needed help."

This was the first time he'd ever seen deer in this much distress, Satre said. They were foaming at the mouth, and not able to make it onto the swim step, they instead swam under it. The group knew something had to be done.

Satre guessed the bucks were of last year since their antlers were very small, for some just nubbins, and hardly large enough for him to grab on to. So he fashioned a lasso and, one by one, hauled them by the neck onto the back of the boat.

Speaking of deer rescues, here's one that happened nearby. Three deer were stranded on a frozen lake. Evidently it was so slippery they couldn't get a good footing and over time, became too exhausted.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now...13113.html

and here's the video:

0 836