02-26-2014, 05:13 PM
User Info
I have read a few threads on this exact topic but all the discussions seem to be so contradictory. Some say Simpsons is softer, some say Rooney is softer. Some say Simpsons has more Backbone, some say Rooney. On and on...

I recently sold a Simpsons Eagle 2 in Best as I didn't love it. Felt just slightly too scritchy for me but yet still lacked some backbone. I liked it, I just did not love it.

Just wanted some thoughts on the Rooney Super vs. Simpsons Best. Considering a Rooney 1/2 and wanted to know how that might compare to the Eagle I let go.

Thanks!

...oh...and should I just save the money and put it towards one of the newer Rooney Stubby line? Smile

32 344
 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, I have a Rooney Heritage Stubby in Super and both a Chubby 2 and a Classic 2 in Best. They are all great brushes. I had to learn to love the Simpsons, the Rooney was love at first sight and again at first use.
But you can't just compare one's Super to the others' Best. It all depends on which brush it's in. Different shaped knots, sizes, densities. But, I think the Rooney has a little more backbone and perhaps, just perhaps, the Best is a little softer. At least that's how I see it at the moment.

7 2,361
 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I find the standard lines of Rooneys 1/, 2/1 and 3/) to be less densely packed than the Rooney Heritage brushes. The lower density, IMO, gives the knots a softer feel to me. That said, Simpson Bests in less dense brushes can also feel much softer than their denser counterparts. Milk Churns and Keyholes were the softest Bests that I have tried.

0 1,137
 02-26-2014, 07:44 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
My T&H 3/2 is wonderfully soft. My Commodore X3 is softish. IMO, the Rooney Super brushes are miles softer than the Simpsons best brushes, but I don't think I have enough experience with the best line to properly judge.

10 759
 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM
User Info
I have only tried the older Rooney Heritage Stubby line and it was incredible soft, but you would have to compare it to Simpsons Super, not Best, in my opinion to give it a better evaluation. I don't find Best as soft as Super with Simpsons.
Good luck.

83 21,115
 02-26-2014, 09:28 PM
User Info
I am agreed with @celestino. Rooney heritage (not T&H) is amazingly soft. Simpson best is also really good but not compared with super badger quality. Simpson super badger has also soft tips and good backbone due to its density.

0 58
 02-27-2014, 05:43 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Standard Rooney Super (not Heritage) IMO is slightly softer at the tips, less dense and has much less backbone than Simpson Best.

Of the two my preference is for Simpson Best.

99 18,011
 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM
User Info
I have found that Rooney's "Super" (or "silvertip") is comparable to Simpson's "Super". This is the regular Rooney line, not the "heritage" line.

84 1,505
 02-27-2014, 09:54 AM
User Info
I prefer Rooney super to Simpson best. If the Simspon best is not soft enough for you I would give the Rooney super a try.

15 771
 02-27-2014, 02:14 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Love them all, but I just prefer the look, performance and feel, dollar for dollar, of Rooney over Simpsons. YMMV of course.

7 2,361
 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Both can be a bit inconsistent in hair quality and knot dimensions. My shorter lofted Rooney's (at spec) are great, but I have had a couple of other Rooney made brushes that were about 5mm over spec on loft and I didn't care for the experience they provided, but if one was a bowl latherer they may have actually preferred those. On the same line if you get a Simpson brush with very good quality hair (which I would say is about 50/50 on the cheaper brushes and very likely on the higher end brushes) the hair will be very similar to the Rooney, if not a bit less soft at the tips. It really is hard to do an objective review on something that has inconsistencies due to its manufacturing process and naturally sourced material.

149 2,823
 03-02-2014, 03:10 PM
User Info
Once you really start to learn things about brushes, you most likely will stop asking these questions, because while they might be leading in some ways, they can be so misleading in a lot of other ways to a point where you can invest in a brush expecting for it to fulfill your expectations, but then let you down.

Hair is natural, and batch variations almost makes it impossible to say whether this or that type of hair is softer or rougher.

I have a Best hair Chubby 2 brush from Simpson, a limited edition, and this brush is on par with many of my 3-band Silvertip brushes and feels softer than 2 Rooney Super 3-band brushes I owned at one point.

Manchurian batch from 2013 are a lof less harsh in feel than before that. They may get rougher with batch 2014, we don't know......

Also brush loft, shape of knot and knot size can make one brush with the same hair feel soft, and another model from the same manufacturer feel rough and harsh.

24 6,020
 03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
(03-02-2014, 03:10 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Once you really start to learn things about brushes, you most likely will stop asking these questions, because while they might be leading in some ways, they can be so misleading in a lot of other ways to a point where you can invest in a brush expecting for it to fulfill your expectations, but then let you down.

Been there Sad

10 759
 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
(03-02-2014, 03:10 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Once you really start to learn things about brushes, you most likely will stop asking these questions, because while they might be leading in some ways, they can be so misleading in a lot of other ways to a point where you can invest in a brush expecting for it to fulfill your expectations, but then let you down.

Hair is natural, and batch variations almost makes it impossible to say whether this or that type of hair is softer or rougher.

I have a Best hair Chubby 2 brush from Simpson, a limited edition, and this brush is on par with many of my 3-band Silvertip brushes and feels softer than 2 Rooney Super 3-band brushes I owned at one point.

Manchurian batch from 2013 are a lof less harsh in feel than before that. They may get rougher with batch 2014, we don't know......

Also brush loft, shape of knot and knot size can make one brush with the same hair feel soft, and another model from the same manufacturer feel rough and harsh.

then it would be nice with a 'hair-batch-decription' - as with high quality wines - teas - coffee - truffles etc Wink

7 1,624
 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(03-02-2014, 04:16 PM)tonsorius Wrote: then it would be nice with a 'hair-batch-decription' - as with high quality wines - teas - coffee - truffles etc Wink

Terroir...and considering that the badger was burrowing in that terroir, all bets are off.

0 1,137
 03-02-2014, 10:25 PM
User Info
(03-02-2014, 07:25 PM)Elendil Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 04:16 PM)tonsorius Wrote: then it would be nice with a 'hair-batch-decription' - as with high quality wines - teas - coffee - truffles etc Wink

Terroir...and considering that the badger was burrowing in that terroir, all bets are off.

haha - no - not really terroir. we are not eating the hairs - at least not me Biggrin

hair-batch-description is often done with high quality chinese and japanese calligraphy brushes - and chinese and japanese inks - and chinese and japanese paper - so it is not unreasonable to be used for hairs used in shaving brushes. in addition shaving brushes are usually even more expensive than the other mentioned goods (except ink) so i think the question is reasonable Wink

7 1,624
 03-03-2014, 04:28 AM
User Info
Funny how you never hear all this drama associated with Thater's...

1 131
 03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
User Info
(03-03-2014, 04:28 AM)Loudoun Wrote: Funny how you never hear all this drama associated with Thater's...

I guess my question should have been which hair is more consistent. I guess we could expand that to Thater and Shavemac in the same price range as well.

I have read about people not happy with Thater but it seems that Shavemac seems to rarely get bad reviews, other than the D01 maybe being to firm.

32 344
 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Great points!!!...it is truly tough to do comparisons of shave brush hair even within the same manufacturer, due to changing batches. A batch description would certainly help, especially over time when solid/consistent info on past batches begins to build up therefor allowing more consistent and accurate comparisons to be made.
I continue to hear that likely Thater fist, then Shavemac second have the most consistent reviews and comparisons made concerning hair qualities, spanning over approx. the past five years.

4 794
 03-05-2014, 12:12 PM
User Info
I'd also include Savile Row -- as separate from Shavemac -- near the top of any list for consistency. The biggest criticism is its softness, which to many can also be a big plus.

29 1,776