03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I have been able to confirm from the distributor herself that XPEC is currently being reformulated, and sounds like with "more natural" ingredients (and likely without parabens, if my instincts are worth anything). Hence, you cannot find it anywhere. Stock is gone.

I am just glad they aren't discontinuing the line. But I really hope it is just as good as the current formulation.

The conversation was a series of emails in Italian, where she gave me some information I did not know, and thought maybe you'd appreciate some of the details of who's Forester-Milano. I can sum that up here.
For those who do not know, Forester-Milano was the manufacturer of the XPEC product line, who also made the Domenico Caraceni 1913 line. Two "legendary" shaving creams is how I've heard them both described, and I think I like that adjective.
In the emails I was concerned that reformulations might mean a lesser product, and she replied "Forester has been closed about three years and I remained owner of the brands XPEC (and Washington Tremlett). In these three years I do not think there have been any differences in the productions." This was news to me, since I just bought XPEC in October from Damon who had just got his supply a month or two prior to that, and the label on the back says Forester-Milano… but then I went back to the label and checked and it says "Distribuito da" (Distributed by) Forester-Milano… meaning she (distributor) was using the name Forester-Milano and having it manufactured in a new laboratory after the original F-M was closed three years ago.
Btw, the new XPEC won't say Forester-Milano because Italian courts have forced her to change the name. Now her company name is EffeMarinelli.

Sorry for the jibber jabber, but some might find it interesting.

She did seem optimistic that the new formulations will be just as great as the current, however she was certainly not giving me any indication of when the new formulations would be available, but that she would get back to me when the time arrives.

59 2,820
 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for the information.

38 5,111
 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I hope the reformulation is just as good as the original formula. For me - it's all about the shave-performance not fragrance - and XPEC is really the best shaving cream I've tried (incl CF).

With the right marketing, distribution & pricing - the cream has the potential to be much more popular. I hope it comes back!

17 535
 03-02-2014, 10:33 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-02-2014, 12:02 PM)v4257 Wrote: I hope the reformulation is just as good as the original formula. For me - it's all about the shave-performance not fragrance - and XPEC is really the best shaving cream I've tried (incl CF).

With the right marketing, distribution & pricing - the cream has the potential to be much more popular. I hope it comes back!
Well-put. It will be interesting if they keep the same size tub (huge 8.4 ounces) or make it a bit smaller and a proportional decrease in the price… this would get more shavers to try it, because it truly is a steep ticket price at the 8.4 ounce prices.

I can't speak highly enough about XPEC's entire line (but especially shave cream)… it's like a miracle drug for shaving, haha

I realize the scent is the most controversial aspect of XPEC (98.9% of everyone agrees the performance and post-shave qualities are unmatched), but I am one of the lucky ones who is euphoric about the scent, so I REALLY hope nothing changes about it. I cannot image they could improve it, I don't know what could be improved (technically/quality-wise).

59 2,820
 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I've just asked the status of the XPEC reformulation last night and received a reply from our lady this morning. Here is the main info:

The new XPEC line will be on the international market in September taking into account the time required to re-open after the summer break.
So I think the end of September.

59 2,820
 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
User Info
Thanks Matt, that is great news indeed Aaaaa

96 2,590
 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-14-2014, 10:10 AM)Nero Wrote: I've just asked the status of the XPEC reformulation last night and received a reply from our lady this morning. Here is the main info:

The new XPEC line will be on the international market in September taking into account the time required to re-open after the summer break.
So I think the end of September.

That's very good news! Thank you for the precious update, Matt. Wink

26 4,928
 08-14-2014, 10:32 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
My pleasure! To be honest, I was beginning to think it wasn't gonna happen, but very happy to hear this news. I'm SURE we aren't the only one's, David! Biggrin

(08-14-2014, 10:15 AM)Jmartz Wrote: Thanks Matt, that is great news indeed Aaaaa

…. I knew there would be another one! hahaha!!

EDIT: John, oops, I just realized you had responded first… but either way Smile

59 2,820
 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I look forward to trying the new formulation.

178 23,809
 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
Let's see if it's the same croap with a new scent or reformulated into something better or worse Smile

Going to be very difficult to make it better.........

24 5,969
 08-14-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
I'm hoping for the best. I have confidence the owner will try to maintain the high standards. I'm happy to hear it survived.

24 1,226
 08-14-2014, 09:24 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
She did actually say the "end of September" so I would give it October or November.

(08-14-2014, 01:48 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Let's see if it's the same croap with a new scent or reformulated into something better or worse Smile

Going to be very difficult to make it better.........

I imagine it will be the same scent, otherwise she would have mentioned that (at least you'd think, haha).

(08-14-2014, 02:06 PM)brothers Wrote: I'm hoping for the best. I have confidence the owner will try to maintain the high standards. I'm happy to hear it survived.

Agreed. She certainly hasn't rushed into making "just anything". She is very particular about ingredients and processes, and willing to take the time to source it right, so it's an encouraging sign.

59 2,820
 08-20-2014, 07:59 AM
User Info
I was searching for info on XPEC and came across this website:

http://www.xpec.co.uk/index.php?option=c...view&id=35

I wonder if this is old info or based on the new reformulation:

"Xpec Original Shaving Soap is triple milled from the finest ingredients with a base rich in Coconut Oil and Glycerine. It produces a soft, creamy lather, which will gently lubricate and prepare the skin to provide a pleasurable and efficient shaving experience.

This preparation contains active natural ingredients: Essential oils including Rosehip, Sweet Almond and Jojoba oils; Shea Butter and other vegetable extracts which help to soothe, moisturise and protect the skin both during and after shaving."

[Image: 7ivSwVf.gif]

113 354
 08-20-2014, 08:15 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
That website does not even list the shaving cream, but only a shaving soap, which I personally had never heard of. Anyone with more info? Rolleyes

26 4,928
 08-20-2014, 08:24 AM
User Info
This is VERY OLD information. Predates the most recent orange label cream that is gone and soon to be replaced by yet another formulated version.

24 1,226
 08-20-2014, 08:30 AM
User Info
Thanks for the info Gary. I should stick to my day job. Tongue

113 354
 08-20-2014, 11:08 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-20-2014, 08:24 AM)brothers Wrote: This is VERY OLD information.

+1

59 2,820
 08-20-2014, 11:35 PM
User Info
I'm still astounded over how poorly Xpec are at promoting their products.

The website referred to 3-4 post before my post is a 2-3 year old website, that still is online but with totally outdated products.
I checked that website out in 2012, and even then it was outdated.

This new version of Xpec better have to be on par or even better than the old version - if possible - or I will forget all about Xpec for manye years to come.

It's even more confusing than the Santa Maria Novella Croap, that should be made by old Italian monks in an Italian monestry Biggrin

24 5,969
 08-20-2014, 11:38 PM
User Info
I don't get the hype behind XPEC?

0 22
 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-20-2014, 11:38 PM)MerchantofShave Wrote: I don't get the hype behind XPEC?

Well, that's simple: You haven't tried it.

59 2,820