03-02-2014, 01:04 AM
User Info
So far my experience with DE shaving has been with a Muhle R89 and Personna DE razor blades. The first time around, I obviously needed to get used to this new experience. But after the first shave, the others began to feel smoother and smoother.

I am now on the road, and I've mounted the same razor blades on a Parker 4 piece travel DE razor. I'm finding it much more difficult to use and there is much more tugging and less smoothness than I'm experiencing with the R89. Am I correct in assuming that the Parker is more aggressive and that the blade sticks out farther? Is this is the case, aside from angles, what is causing all the tugging? Should I be using a different blade? Any suggestions or experiences with this razor? I'm trying to get along with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 37
 03-02-2014, 03:56 AM
User Info
Blade exposure is just one of several variables that determine aggressiveness - the other main ones are blade angle and blade gap.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=175370&d=1307416386&stc=1]
This image - found via google - explains the terms better than a wall of text ever could.

I'm not familiar with the R89, but I'm going to assume that the Parker 4-piece isn't too dissimilar to my Merkur 985CL travel razor; ie.: lighter and shorter than most 'at home' razors. As such it will require a slightly different technique... or if not different, at least a more focused technique. What I would do is to take my time shaving with it - keeping in mind the angle of attack, the direction of growth and the lack of pressure needed. You should have it down pat in no time... and if that don't help, a different blade might be the way to go - I prefer Lord Platinum for my travel razor, but YMMV.

3 4,373
 03-02-2014, 04:25 PM
User Info
The two razors are different from one another and I found the Parkers to be a tad more aggressive than the Muhle/EJ razors. You may want to try another blade in the razor to see if it improves the shaves. Why don't you try it with your favourite blades. It could be that the Parker just isn't for you. Once you have used it with a few different blades and for a bit, you should be able to determine this.
Best of luck.

82 21,056