03-02-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
Ok gents I need some advice here. I apologize this is a bit wordy, but i want to explain my routine and then get your help.

Here's my post shave routine today

1) Shave

2) pause a moment to smile at how awesome XYZ soap was Biggrin

3) Warm water rinse. Pat face dry.

4) Rub face w/ alum

5) While waiting for face to dry a bit, I rinse my brush

6) Cold water rinse. Pat face dry.

7) Apply a splash or tonic.

8) While waiting for face to dry a bit, put away all my shave gear

9) Apply aftershave balm or aftershave lotion. (Razorock AS wax, eShave AS balm, TGR AS Lotion, etc)

So here's my questions:

1) My face is dry after a few hours. Doesn't matter what I use. It could be a super heavy duty moisture bomb thick AS balm. I also thought maybe i wasn't adding enough water to my soaps, so i tired rich new age style creams for a week straight, no change. How can i fix this?

2) The splash i use in step 7. I use an alcohol free and mostly scent free splash like Lucky Tiger or Anthony Logistics Toner. Is there something better to use? Don't want a heavy scented splash.

3) My routine overall. Is it good? What could I do better?

thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice!

3 254
 03-02-2014, 04:52 PM
User Info
There could be numerous variables in effect here. It could all be resolved possibly by hydrating your body more. Drinking enough good water, your skin might not feel as dry. Just a possibility.

It could also be the products you are using, especially, your soaps which might be a bit drying along with the AS/Splashes.
You may want to try soaps with more 'natural' ingredients. Many of the artisan soaps seem to be working very well for many. I am not trying to promote them, but just giving you an option.

One final thing, you may want to consider using unrefined shea butter to help counter or alleviate the dryness.

You just need to experiment and see what works for you.
Best of luck to you! Smile

82 21,056
 03-02-2014, 04:58 PM
User Info
I think the routine looks great. I'd just tweak the final moisturizer until you find one that leaves a more lasting feeling. Try a more high performance cream.

Maybe lose the alum block step. It's not necessary every day IMO.

0 303
 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM
User Info
(03-02-2014, 04:58 PM)Face Bannon Wrote: I think the routine looks great. I'd just tweak the final moisturizer until you find one that leaves a more lasting feeling. Try a more high performance cream.

Maybe lose the alum block step. It's not necessary every day IMO.

Signs011

and try a moisturizer not made by a typical shaving soap company - eg dr hauschka.

7 1,624
 03-03-2014, 04:38 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
DR H is good stuff-I steal my wife's Moor Lavender from time to time

The post shave looks solid. Celestino had a good point too-regular hydration

19 726
 03-03-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
As has been mentioned above lose the alum. When I first was looking through your routine it was the glaring red flag to me.

31 8,055
 03-03-2014, 10:22 AM
User Info
Why alum?

For me, Aveeno mixed in my palm with aftershave makes forcan excellent balm.
Dirt cheap and works wonderfully.

6 808
 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM
User Info
Alum is officially ditched

3 254
 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
good boy Wink i did that after first try. looked like a boiled lobster Biggrin

7 1,624
 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
Add 100 drops of VG USP (vegetable glycerin), some 100% pure aloe vera gel to your container of splash, shake the fire out of it and you should be good!

2 253