03-03-2014, 09:50 AM
User Info
Several months ago, I ordered a custom scuttle from Ladysea Pottery. I got it a few weeks after I ordered it, and I have been using it throughout the winter, so I thought now was a good time to review it.

--------------

First, a few details about the scuttle: it is a large one (about 4.5" across and the same deep, not counting the handle). The customizations I made were in the glaze, which is a two-tone black-blue speckled glaze, and the bowl. I asked for the bowl to be rounded, so that the whole bowl was surrounded by the water in the reservoir - keeping the lather warm. I received exactly what I asked for.

Construction:

The ceramic is thick, retaining heat pretty well. The glaze is lovely, and the scuttle just looks very nice.

The scuttle is a two-piece scuttle. This is both a positive and a negative.

Since the inner bowl can be removed, it is easy to clean the inside of the scuttle. Secondly, the reservoir is large - which is great when you're trying to keep your lather warm in a cold house. Thirdly, I find it really easy to lather in the bowl separately from the reservoir: I hold the bowl cupped in my palm and lather away.

On the down-side of having a separate bowl is the fact that the bowl can move a bit when it's placed in the outer portion of the scuttle. This is actually not much of an issue in this scuttle, as the bowl has one orientation in which it 'locks' into the scuttle. When it's placed in that orientation, it doesn't move almost at all. I marked this position with a permanent marker, and now have no problems finding it easily.

As an added bonus: the inner bowl has a slightly flattened base, so it can stand firmly on the counter on its own, allowing it to be used independently of the rest of the scuttle. This will be very useful in the warmer months, when I don't care as much about using a scuttle as a scuttle. Biggrin

Efficacy:

I asked for these specs on the scuttle for several reasons:

1) I like to bowl-lather with medium to large brushes, and my previous scuttles had bowls that were too small for some of my brushes. This one doesn't have that issue.

2) Some of my previous scuttles (think Georgetown G1-3) had reservoirs that were too small to keep the lather warm for long enough. This one doesn't have that issue, both because the reservoir is large and because the bowl is shaped in such a way that most of it's underside is in contact with water from the reservoir.

Transaction ease:

I thought I'd mention this here because it was nice to work with Sonya on the scuttle. She asked pertinent questions, gave me an estimate of how long it would take and was able to deliver the scuttle well within that time.

-------------

Finally, while this is a subjective thing, I find this scuttle to be beautiful, to work really well, and to just be something that I like using everyday.

5 stars out of 5 to this scuttle!

[Image: temporary-2383.jpg]

[Image: temporary-1200.jpg]

37 1,743
 03-03-2014, 02:01 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Very nice, I love my scuttle and this one is just as gorgeous!

58 1,312
 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM
User Info
A lovely piece of pottery. I have been looking around on her site. Thanks for the first hand review and enjoy.

22 752
 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
User Info
I missed this when you posted. Thanks for your kind words, and I'll pass them along to Sonya!

10 1,858
 03-15-2014, 04:39 AM
User Info
Love that color - Blue/Purple glaze looks nice!

0 150