03-03-2014, 10:18 AM
User Info
I've wondered if you were to use the base plate from one razor with the cap of another, what kind of shave should you expect or get? For example, If I were to use an R41 head with a Fatip base plate, what kind of razor would I have?

I can easily test this myself, but I was wondering if anyone had already done it and produced a great shaver from it and could share the combinations.

Thanks.

9 1,208
 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM
User Info
I don't know about this particular combo but there are those among us who prefer frankenrazors.

6 358
 03-03-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
Randy, I haven't use that particular 'franken-combo' but I have tried the R41 with many different combinations and it was just never a good pairing, FOR ME. Blush
Best of luck.

83 21,109
 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM
User Info
Actually, I'm wondering about any combo. Not just the example I gave.

9 1,208
 03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
User Info
I have entertained this idea as well. I wanted to mate my Weber Head with the Fatip base plate, in the hopes that it would be less aggressive. My theory was that with less of the blade exposed it might be less aggressive. Well, let's say that the Weber head isn't much larger than the Fatip head. Not to mention the angle of the Blade in The Fatip . I really wanted to like that razor . Sorry I get carried away at times. Rolleyes Only one way to find out, just make sure you have some Witch Hazel or Alum handy, just in case Wink. I wish thee Luck.

0 295
 03-06-2014, 06:25 PM
User Info
You can certainly change razor components to alter the shave qualities from factory. I have a Cadet TP21-ss open comb that came from the vendor with an unusable top cap (the threaded rod was bent). The rest of the razor looked good, so I compared top caps from several razors to see if I could get this razor to shave. I gathered 3 top caps and measured their width. Here is what I used.
Merkur 180 0.765" wide
This gave the razor very little blade gap or blade exposure and made the razor quite mild. (a relative term)
Sabi T-1 0.757" wide
This gave the razor more blade exposure and a noticeable blade gap. Not a lot, but I could see it. This made the razor much more efficient than with the merkur plate. I like this combination so much, I keep the razor configured like this and use it regularly.
Razorock safety bar 0.748" wide
This cap left the blade with a LOT of blade gap, in fact it was way more than the gap on my 2013 R41 Eeeeek (my most efficient razor). I wish I had the tools to measure it. I shaved with this configuration three times, each time trying a different blade. With a med prep, I had a DFS in one pass WTG. I don't think I drew blood, but I'm sure I achieved my highest level of concentration while shaving.

One thing I noticed is that different cap shapes impact the blade gap as the blade is curved differently, so width is not the only variable to pay attention to.

I hope you share the results if you decide to experiment
Have Fun!

7 83
 03-08-2014, 03:19 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
It can easily be done with Feather AS D-1 and Ikon OSS / Closed comb / open comb base plates and caps as I believe that Greg at Ikon designed them to be compatible.

It can also easily be done with a number of 3-piece vintage Gillette's.

I must say that I've never really noticed any difference when trying this out.

The main changes come when you swap handles of course. That's what really makes a difference in the way a 3-piece razor shaves.

34 662