03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
User Info
So rumor around the house has it that my wife is getting me an Above the Tie razor for my birthday on the 15th --- but she is needing a little "birdie" (AKA my nine year old Hannah) to tell her which model.

Here are my preferences --- suggest away gentlemen:

- My favorite shave ever has been with a Barbasol Floating Head -- but it does leave a touch of razor burn

- Least Favorite shave was with a 2011 Muhle r41

- I have fairly sensitive skin BUT I have a thick beard. for example I have to do 4 passes with a Wilkinson Sticky loaded with a Feather or a 3 pass with Gillette Rocket (loaded with Feather as well) to get between DFS and BBS shave.

I want this razor to be efficient at mowing down my beard BUT with a touch of smoothness that, when using the Barbasol correctly, I can get and it is very satisfying.

What OC head would you recommend, I like the shorter Atlas handle, so recommend away please.

Blessings,

Jason

102 1,406
 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM
User Info
I just ordered the ATT OC "R" head and base plate ($146). One member here reviewd the 3 options and said that the "M" is in line with an R89 with respect to aggressiveness. The "R" is much more aggressive than the "M" and the "H" is a tad bit more aggressive than the "R". So, I went with the middle.

ATT has a 30 day money back, no questions asked guarantee if you're not happy. I didn't buy a handle as I already have one waiting on it. Hope that helps a little.

9 1,203
 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM
User Info
(03-03-2014, 07:36 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I just ordered the ATT OC "R" head and base plate ($146). One member here reviewd the 3 options and said that the "M" is in line with an R89 with respect to aggressiveness. The "R" is much more aggressive than the "M" and the "H" is a tad bit more aggressive than the "R". So, I went with the middle.

ATT has a 30 day money back, no questions asked guarantee if you're not happy. I didn't buy a handle as I already have one waiting on it. Hope that helps a little.

that's the two I am torn between, the M2 or the R2.... anyone that has used the M2 .... how mild is it?

Thanks,

JB

102 1,406
 03-03-2014, 09:29 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I have an M2 en route. I expect it tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully, it won't be like an EJ89. If it is, it'll be up for trade.

FWIW, I had an R1. It was rough. Too rough. I sold it.

60 1,601
 03-03-2014, 10:33 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Cant speak for M2 but M1 gets the job done for me and i mostly use a Cobra.
Hard to go wrong with Stans return policy

Just my faces opinion Biggrin
H plate=Hell Fire
R Plate=Raw Face
M Plate=My cup of tea

118 1,708
 03-04-2014, 06:57 AM
User Info
(03-03-2014, 10:33 PM)Triad Wrote: Cant speak for M2 but M1 gets the job done for me and i mostly use a Cobra.
Hard to go wrong with Stans return policy

Just my faces opinion Biggrin
H plate=Hell Fire
R Plate=Raw Face
M Plate=My cup of tea

Great feedback my friend! Thanks everyone so far!

102 1,406
 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Neither the R or the H will be as good as your Barbasol.

I would go with the M. Between that and the Barbasol, you will have an extraordinarily nice rotation.

36 491
 03-04-2014, 08:54 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Currently use a Feather AS-D2 and Eclipse Red Ring
Red Ring is intended for when I can go 2-3 days w/o shaving, otherwise the daily is the Feather.
As for blades, mainly use Feather and playing with a pack of Bolzano and Timor

Recently purchased the R2, was surprised as to how aggressive it was compared to my Eclipse, but I find it easier to control as I've always had problems cleanly seeing my side burns, so with the R2 (kronos) setup I can make a clean line during shaving as opposed to waiting till I finish. But the shave feel of this razor is that its aggressive for me, can't imagine how an H2 would be.... it would shave skin off my face maybe? lol.. I am thinking of maybe going to an M2 to see if I can still get close w/o the slightly raw feel the R2 leaves. (The rawness isn't all over, just a few spots and its fairly consistent areas from what I've experienced, even changing pressure/hand-wrist locking angle seems to still not change that).

Smoothness.. ehh, not completely there for me. Letting the head weight do all the work, I find my Eclipse/Feather easier to glide across, but maybe I'm not used to it yet as I went with the Kronos handle. I find that if you don't do a pass straight down and do it at an angle, (slight non 90 deg down)you can feel the comb sometimes. I don't have sensitive skin but can notice a feel of the teeth. The plate is machined beautifully but it is a milled CNC piece of steel where the side of the teeth are cut exact but corners aren't completely rounded but not sharp that it'll hurt or harm you, something I noticed which may attribute to that feel when I use it.

Overall, only used it a handful of times so far, so maybe this is just too much of a micro view or over thinking, but if you like it you'll adapt to it! But just some thoughts having just gotten one...

35 1,329
 03-04-2014, 09:11 AM
User Info
I am having her order the M2 --- that's what I was leaning toward anyway.

102 1,406
 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM
User Info
Why not shave with the M2 for 25 days, then exchange and shave with the R2 for a month, and then test drive the H2.

I'd probably recommend starting with the R plate.

0 30
 03-08-2014, 10:13 PM
User Info
I just had the best shave with my new R2 razor yesterday. I just bought the head assembly and put a BRW handle on it. The best razor I own now.

9 1,203
 03-16-2014, 06:11 AM
User Info
I just happen to be in the market for one, but this got me a little confused. Isn't R for regulation and M medium? Shouldn't the M be more aggressive than the R? I was going to go for the H because I have a coarse, thick and dense beard- maybe now the R2 is good enough?

1 182
 03-16-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
Great thread - I am considering a purchase of ATT. I like aggressive razors and was going H2 but maybe it is too aggressive. Maybe I will start with the R2.

If anyone uses the H2 - Has does it compare to other aggressive razors?

0 150
 03-18-2014, 12:21 AM
User Info
(03-03-2014, 05:17 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: - I have fairly sensitive skin BUT I have a thick beard. for example I have to do 4 passes with a Wilkinson Sticky loaded with a Feather or a 3 pass with Gillette Rocket (loaded with Feather as well) to get between DFS and BBS shave.

I want this razor to be efficient at mowing down my beard BUT with a touch of smoothness that, when using the Barbasol correctly, I can get and it is very satisfying.

What OC head would you recommend, I like the shorter Atlas handle, so recommend away please.

Blessings,

Jason

Hey Jason, I went thru the same thing trying to figure which ATT to purchase. I bought the Kronos R2 the first time and found that I got a lot of razor burn from it cause I have sensitive skin also, well I went back and bought the M2 base plate and sold the R2 plate.... I got a great shave and no razor burn at all....Love it!! So I liked that one so much that I turned around today and bought a Kronos M1 razor from Phil.....Good luck on which ever one you decide on, but I know I really like the length and feel of the Kronos handle.

10 399
 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM
User Info
(03-04-2014, 09:11 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: I am having her order the M2 --- that's what I was leaning toward anyway.

How did you end up liking the M2? Is it comparable to the Muhle R89 in aggressiveness? Did you wish you got the R2?

13 133
 04-01-2014, 08:31 PM
User Info
Yes...it was too mild and should have got the R2. But now I have a Tradere OC coming --- so who knows. Smile lol

102 1,406