05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
User Info
I wanted to share a great moment I had last night.

We took my oldest son(3.5yrs old), Drew to his first baseball game at Cellular Field last night. We were fortunate enough to get excellent seats about two rows back behind home plate, right next to the on deck batter's circle. We were so close, we could literally have a conversation with Johnny Damon. Drew was so excited especially because we just started t-ball camp and he was really getting into baseball. We showed up a couple innings late just in time for the first Home Run of the game by Adam Dunn in the third inning. Anyone who has been to Cellular Field knows they shoot Firework's after White Sox homer's and Drew's eyes lit up. We ate hotdogs, and crackerjacks and tried after every inning to get a baseball from one of the player's. I was determined to complete our good ol' American night by getting a baseball for my son to take home. So, like any great story, this had a fairytale ending...It was the middle of the ninth as the Indian's took the field to close it out, and I put my boy on my shoulder's, he grabbed his mitt and went to the wall for one last try. "Balls in" the umpire yelled, and the warm up catcher started heading towards the dugout. We both shouted at him, "OVER HERE!, BALL! CMON!," Took a look at us and continued into the dugout. As soon as I started to turn around(obviously disappointed) to head back to our seat, the bat-boy ran up from the dugout and dropped a baseball in Drew's mitt! Believe it or not, the people in our section went nuts as they saw how happy it made him. He was smiling from ear to ear. Everyone was cheering and it was actually funny, because who would expect that reaction from strangers for something so simple. It really made his night and It was a real special father-son moment that I will never forget. Needless to say, it was the perfect ending to memorable night.

[Image: drew.jpg]

9 333
 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
That's a great story. I hope you got some pictures. The only thing that would make it better would be if the field was still called Comiskey.

178 11,976
 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
What a great story and memory for you. It's good to be reminded that most people are decent.

2 11,211
 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
Thanks! Yes, we took pictures although they were from a phone but came out decent.

9 333
 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
C-Trim, great story. I will never forget the first Texas Rangers game I took my oldest son to many years ago. We got to see Nolan Ryan pitch a no hitter. Come up sometime for a Brewer game and I will meet you there.

173 23,296
 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
I don't like basball, but that story transcends the game. It's about much more. Fantastic!

32 6,303
 05-03-2012, 05:09 PM
User Info
Beautiful, Noah! You've got it and there is no more need to search, Grasshopper!! Hehe.

74 20,807
 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info

wow! awesome anecdote!

People do really cheer for what is good ...

hehe which is why my boy is being checked out of school earyl so we can hit AVENGERS!!!

9 1,684
 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
A most excellent event. It will have place in both your memories for many, many years.

45 1,338
 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
That's a great story.

10 1,858
 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Noah, as I'm sure you are more than aware, it's moments, memories, stories, like that which make parenthood such a wonderful experience. A child's innocence and enjoyment are something very! special and should be savoured at ever opportunity.

23 1,872