03-04-2014, 08:22 AM
User Info
I recently received a tub of LA Shaving Soap Woody Lavender. I will not comment on the tub but wanted to comment on the performance of this soap.

The reason is, I can't seem to create a thick, creamy lather with it, but the three times I have used it I have gotten amazing shaves. Slick as could be with no irritation and my face felt great after.

I found the lather to be easy to whip up, but ultimately it was quite thin an was not too stable. Even with that, I'm getting better shaves with this soap than any of my other soaps?

I'm thinking about purchasing their other scents based on the performance but was wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing with this soap?

32 344
 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
User Info
Last I used LASS I got a very rich creamy lather. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary regarding loading the brush and creating the lather in a bowl. Could it be your water?

33 548
 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
Yep...I've had same issue with LASS...got decent shaves, but lather has been definitely thin and not very stable for me. Wondering if he had a batch that didn't work out so well? Pretty sure it's the soap as I have no issues with others in the same conditions with the same tools.

47 385
 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM
User Info
Yes, I have had no issues with my water with any other soap. It's just strange that the shaves I'm getting with LASS are incredible but the lather is thin and fades as the shave progresses. Not a problem really, just reapply some lather.

I've usually experienced poor shaves with poor lather. This is the opposite. I'm really enjoying this soap and thinking about purchasing more. Just curious if this is what's to be expected from this soap.

32 344
 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
User Info
My fougere was a lather bomb but I couldn't handle the scent so I sold it. I'll probably order another scent because it has the potential to be one of my best performers.

0 68
 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
User Info
(03-04-2014, 11:10 AM)jay_gord Wrote: My fougere was a lather bomb but I couldn't handle the scent so I sold it. I'll probably order another scent because it has the potential to be one of my best performers.

To me, the woody lavender is quite subtle if the Fougere was too much. I was actually thinking of ordering the Bespoke and the Fougere.

I also like the extra wide tins as the little tubs are difficult to load from.

32 344
 03-04-2014, 11:52 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Fbones-I ordered both Fougere and Bespoke and they've been excllent for lather. The only soap I had lathering issues with was Mike's (2 different types). Suspect that different lots can act up. The boutique soaps like LA and Stroppe Shop have been excellent for lather, glide, moisturizing, etc. I did not get those attributes from Mike's so I sold them. Living in "Hard Water Hell" known as Chicago, Williams and Da Fat all perform brilliantly. It happens

19 742
 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
User Info
(03-04-2014, 11:52 AM)Deuce Wrote: Fbones-I ordered both Fougere and Bespoke and they've been excllent for lather. The only soap I had lathering issues with was Mike's (2 different types). Suspect that different lots can act up. The boutique soaps like LA and Stroppe Shop have been excellent for lather, glide, moisturizing, etc. I did not get those attributes from Mike's so I sold them. Living in "Hard Water Hell" known as Chicago, Williams and Da Fat all perform brilliantly. It happens

I had a love/hate relationship with Mike's and the hate finally won out. I have given up on Mike's as there are options I like better.

I'm going to try the Fougere and Bespoke from LASS.

32 344
 03-04-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
I've only tried samples of LASS, but they gave a very nice lather. Since the sample container was small, I had to scoop a little bit out to smear it on the bottom of my bowl and bowl lather it. I normally face lather but it still turned out very well.

10 2,062
 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
User Info
Well I have a tin of Fougere on the way. Excited to try the wider tin and see what this scent is like.

32 344
 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM
User Info
The Woody Lavender is the one I'm thinking about ordering. Glad to hear its a little more subtle. Judging by the name I think I'll like the scent.

0 68
 03-04-2014, 01:58 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
The vanilla eucalyptus mint is excellent with just the right amount of cooling. Very reasonable price tag as well IMO...

9 429
 03-04-2014, 08:35 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Call me fickle or just odd. The tiny container of Woody Lavender and the non-water resistant label earned this product a place in "the box in the basement."

The container was so offputting and the performance less than stellar. I was rather disappointed.

60 1,601
 03-05-2014, 03:46 AM
User Info
(03-04-2014, 08:35 PM)MaxP Wrote: Call me fickle or just odd. The tiny container of Woody Lavender and the non-water resistant label earned this product a place in "the box in the basement."

The container was so offputting and the performance less than stellar. I was rather disappointed.

You're not odd, the container and labeling are disastrous. That is why I ordered the larger tin.

This packaging may beat out the original Panna Crema tubs for worst soap presentation.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 344
 03-05-2014, 04:14 AM
User Info
I agree the containers aren't the best, however I find the lather and post skin care to be the clear winner in artisan soaps. The fragrances are beautifully blended from essential oils, which is a huge plus in my book. For most soaps, I transfer them to my regular Muhle porcelain bowls.

[Image: dqi5.jpg]

23 475
 03-05-2014, 05:05 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
^^I tend to agree. For the quality of the shave and the price I dont much care about presentation. Thats an issue I can handle myself if need be, as you did with the bowl you used..

9 429
 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm a big fan of LASS fougère, and find that it performs very well, but I also prefer soaps with a strong scent. I transferred the soap into a larger container. I know that he'll be using water proof labels soon, and is working on a larger jar for his soaps.

38 5,113
 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I'm a bug fan of LASS. It's one of the best soaps I've used. If your lather is thin and it starts to disappear I would load more soap. I found the small container makes it difficult to easily load large brushes. The non-waterproof label annoying too.

8 1,366
 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM
User Info
D.R. Harris wooden soap bowls don't have waterproof labels and they've been around since 1790. You even have to remove the paper label before use and clean the residual glue, now that's annoying.

No problem with LASS lather, just use more product. Used Santa Monica Bay Rum this morning for an excellent shave. Post skin care is so good, I even forget to apply moisturiser Biggrin

23 475
 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
I received my TF in the larger "thin tin" and boy is this tin thin. These are not the same tins that Synergy uses. These are extremely thin and hard to even hold. Also, I'm not sure they seal by closing them. The lid just sort of sits on top.

I think this will still be better than the smaller tub but the best option is to probably transfer to a better container.

I still think the tins Mike's uses are the best. I think all soap makers should just use these.

32 344