03-04-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
I know both are 3 piece razors. I have a NEW LC with the standard bar handle and while I really like the head, the handle is a bit too light making the razor rather top heavy in my hands.

My questions for those more experienced:

1. Which head (New Standard vs NEW) do you find more effective? I realize opinions will vary on this.

2. Which razor has a better balance?

3. Can one swap the LC NEW head to the New Standard handle?

Thanks all.

1 8
 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Virtually all handles are interchangeable. I have often swapped handles between different brands and well as styles within a brand. I have a very nice UFO handle that I put different heads on as the mood strikes me. Many razor manufacturers today sell the handle and head separately. The Weber and iKon handles are very popular.

As for the head, I have an Old and a New Type and I feel they shave about the same. The New is a bit more efficient. I do not own a long so I cannot comment on that head.

If cost is not an issue, I would get a user condition version and find out for yourself. New and old types are plentiful on eBay and BST.

19 566
 03-04-2014, 08:20 PM
User Info
I doubt you will find any significant difference between the two with your shaves, in my opinion, but YMMV.

You can easily try a heavier handle for the head that you have which will most likely improve the balance of the razor and your shaves. Best of luck.

83 21,107
 03-05-2014, 03:51 AM
User Info
The New Standard is one of the 'New Improved' models - a slightly older head design than the NEW. I find these heads to be slightly more aggressive than the LC NEW.

The New Standard is a spindle-type razor, and the handle cannot be removed from the head, so handle changing is not an option, as you can see from the pic below (from mr-razor's site).

[Image: 1921%20New%20Standard%20silver.jpg]

My suggestions re: your issues with the NEW are:

1 Give yourself some more time with the razor you already have. It might take a while, but you may get used to the head-heavy shave.

2 Look for a replacement handle. There are a lot of vendors who sell entire razors with nice heavy handles for $20 these days.

37 1,743
 03-05-2014, 06:19 AM
User Info
(03-05-2014, 03:51 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: The New Standard is one of the 'New Improved' models - a slightly older head design than the NEW. I find these heads to be slightly more aggressive than the LC NEW.

The New Standard is a spindle-type razor, and the handle cannot be removed from the head, so handle changing is not an option, as you can see from the pic below (from mr-razor's site).

[Image: 1921%20New%20Standard%20silver.jpg]

My suggestions re: your issues with the NEW are:

1 Give yourself some more time with the razor you already have. It might take a while, but you may get used to the head-heavy shave.

2 Look for a replacement handle. There are a lot of vendors who sell entire razors with nice heavy handles for $20 these days.

Ah, thanks for that. I did not realize the New Standard is a spindle type.

I might pick up a handle I can try on all my three piece razors and I will experiment some based on suggestions here. Thanks all. Off to hunt...

1 8
 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
The Ikon SC101 handle works wonderfully on the new long comb
Here is mine.
[Image: 20140227_171110-1_zps5rkfcm6b.jpg]

2 253
 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
Not all New Standards are "spindle-type" razors (I call these "two-piece razors."

For example, the Gillette Tuckaway is a razor intended for use as a travel razor; it has a very short handle and is a three-piece razor. The head is a New Standard head, like the one shown above. This head can easily be put onto any handle you want (Tech handle, LC NEW handle, iKon bulldog, UFO, Tradere, whatever you have available).

The LC NEW, in my opinion, is quite a bit milder and more user-friendly than the New Standard head. The blade gap is significantly larger on the New Standard. If you like a more aggressive open comb, I think you would prefer the New Standard head to the LC NEW. If what you are looking for is smoothness and ease of shave, then the LC NEW is better.

Hope this helps.

2 1,546
 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM
User Info
(03-05-2014, 11:50 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Not all New Standards are "spindle-type" razors (I call these "two-piece razors."

For example, the Gillette Tuckaway is a razor intended for use as a travel razor; it has a very short handle and is a three-piece razor. The head is a New Standard head, like the one shown above...........

That's inaccurate. (Though I know what you were getting at.)

You're right about the Tuckaway. It is a New Improved head on a removable handle. However, the New Standard (pictured above) was a specific model of the New Improved razors. So the Tuckaway is not technically a New Standard - it is a New Improved.

37 1,743
 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM
  • Sevenbark
  • Lower Clinch River Valley
User Info
I absolutely love my Tuckaway. I tried the New a New Standard, the Tuckaway is there. You can go both ways with a simple selection of the blade that will take you there, mild or aggressive.I found the New STD more manageable than the new. My shin type will not accept aggressive razors. I would like to try the New STD again with a Shark Crome.

13 259
 03-28-2014, 01:13 AM
User Info
David; I use my Gillette NEW long comb with the hollow bar handle the way it came. If you want to experiment, #6 lead shot fits. I also have a Weber PH Bulldog. That handle and their Classic handle fit your Gillette NEW and will add weight. The Weber handles can be bought separately.

0 67
 03-28-2014, 08:20 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
The New Improved (mine is 1926 Tuckaway) is a great head. Definitely more efficient than the NEW LC, but very nice if you treat it with a bit of respect while getting used to it.

I have not tried the new Standard, but it looks very much like the new improved.

0 912
 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM
User Info
[Image: 20140326_094828.jpg]
Just received this Gillette New LC. I have used it twice, and it is one of the best razor's I have. Paired with an Astra SP it gives an excellent shave. By the way, this razor has a name. He is known as Walter or Mr. Rosenberg.

0 286
 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(03-28-2014, 11:05 AM)Roderick Wrote: [Image: 20140326_094828.jpg]
Just received this Gillette New LC. I have used it twice, and it is one of the best razor's I have. Paired with an Astra SP it gives an excellent shave. By the way, this razor has a name. He is known as Walter or Mr. Rosenberg.
Beautiful set! I really like my NEW LCs too, also with Astra SP.

0 912
 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
User Info
I just bought a Gillette New LC...can't wait for it to get here.

8 159
 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
The New Improved is a bit more aggressive than either of the standard NEW designs, short comb or long comb, IMO. It is however quite comparable with the New DeLuxe heads, both 15mm and 17mm.

0 567
 04-03-2014, 12:41 PM
User Info
(03-05-2014, 12:08 PM)yohannrjm Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 11:50 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Not all New Standards are "spindle-type" razors (I call these "two-piece razors."

For example, the Gillette Tuckaway is a razor intended for use as a travel razor; it has a very short handle and is a three-piece razor. The head is a New Standard head, like the one shown above...........

That's inaccurate. (Though I know what you were getting at.)

You're right about the Tuckaway. It is a New Improved head on a removable handle. However, the New Standard (pictured above) was a specific model of the New Improved razors. So the Tuckaway is not technically a New Standard - it is a New Improved.

Thanks for the clarification.

2 1,546
 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM
User Info
Just found this. I am not sure what. It is. [Image: a9uvedeq.jpg]
[Image: ehy7u8us.jpg]

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

0 286
 04-03-2014, 02:26 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
It's a Goodwill.

There's more information on them here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ill-Razors

and here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ost1342119

34 662
 04-03-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
it's a canadian goodwill

here is a us-sibling:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Goodwil...odwill.jpg

7 1,624
 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I've heard that it shaves just like a NEW LC. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

0 912