03-05-2014, 06:23 AM
User Info
I need a stick for travelling.
I need a stick that's not messy like the La Toja, Lea, Speick and liked.

A stick that acts like a deo stick.
Not messy for the hands during application.

Only found two with the proper design: Tabac and Irisch Moos

Both made by m&w

Bought the Tabac stick and refill stick. Will it perform ?

24 5,972
 03-05-2014, 07:08 AM
User Info
Claus, the Tabac stick is an excellent performer, with only the scent having mixed opinions. The Sir Irisch Moos stick, also of the same manufacturer, performs identically, and with a better scent, IMO. Downside is that the SIM stick was discontinued over a year ago.
I have several sticks...La Toja, Valobra, Palmolive, and do not find them messy, but I think I understand what you mean.
Not sure where you can buy as I was recently gifted this, but the Dutch stick, De Vergulde Hand, is a superb performer with a largish base. I'll post a pic shortly for you.

[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzEzNjMuanBn_zpsb858f645.jpg]

[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzEzNjUuanBn_zpsfd2a0856.jpg]

31 5,293
 03-05-2014, 08:09 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-05-2014, 07:08 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Claus, the Tabac stick is an excellent performer, with only the scent having mixed opinions. The Sir Irisch Moos stick, also of the same manufacturer, performs identically, and with a better scent, IMO. Downside is that the SIM stick was discontinued over a year ago.
I have several sticks...La Toja, Valobra, Palmolive, and do not find them messy, but I think I understand what you mean.
Not sure where you can buy as I was recently gifted this, but the Dutch stick, De Vergulde Hand, is a superb performer with a largish base. I'll post a pic shortly for you.

[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzEzNjMuanBn_zpsb858f645.jpg]

[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzEzNjUuanBn_zpsfd2a0856.jpg]

Agreed, De Vergulde Hand is very pratical and has a very good performance, albeit not quite as good as the Tabac/IM stick, IMO, which is just superb, as far as sticks go.

The only place I know you can get it, and where I got mine, is Barbiere di Figaro.

26 4,928
 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM
User Info
Bullgoose shaving has them in stock
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/de-vergu...ave-stick/

2 806
 03-05-2014, 09:29 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Love my Tabac shave stick, it's my "go to " when I travel. Performs every bit as good as the puck... D.R. Harris also has shave sticks that are in those push/twist up containers to keep your hands free of the "mess"...

53 555
 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM
User Info
(03-05-2014, 09:29 AM)GregDR Wrote: Love my Tabac shave stick, it's my "go to " when I travel. Performs every bit as good as the puck... D.R. Harris also has shave sticks that are in those push/twist up containers to keep your hands free of the "mess"...
How on earth did I forget these?Blush

31 5,293
 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM
User Info
La Toja at least has something to put it in, to travel. It may be "messy" when you're using it, and it's getting low, but it still has a cover.

I also use an old empty deodorant stick with Arko. I grated the Arko with a cheese grater and tamped it down in the deodorant stick. Works great.

0 303
 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
User Info
Mystic Water and HTGAM both offer very nice shave sticks as well Biggrin

96 2,590
 03-05-2014, 10:55 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Tabac is my fav shave stick. It is fantastic in my opinion.

9 429
 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
"Will it perform?", yes and how. It is larger than than the others you mentioned. It is very non messy to use. The DE Vergulde Hand shave stick is also an excellent performer but could be a little messier to use than the Tabac shave stick but not by much.

The sticking point with Tabac seems to be the scent for some. It is almost a love it or hate proposition, luckily I love it.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
HTGAM makes Synergy sticks... I've never used one, but the soap is excellent.

[Image: gB5yRMy.jpg]

2 447
 03-05-2014, 03:31 PM
User Info
Thanks Gents Smile

I wrote my OP in a hurry on Tapatalk on my iPhone, so sorry about the rater short and precise text Wink

Now I'm ato work - once again - sitting in front of the computer.

Let me explain myself a bit.......
When I say I want a shaving stick that's not messy, I mean that some of the shaving sticks currently available to the public all seem to have a rather short base where the soap stick sits in, and I feel you need to grip the stick itself when it's new and you apply the soap to your face.
This does not seem to be the case at all, when you use the M&W Tabac and Sir Irisch Moos shaving sticks, which both acts like a deodorant stick - meaning that the base of the handle is as long as the entire shaving stick and you never need to touch the soap during application.

Yes I know - noone has ever died from touching a bit of soap Tongue - but I prefer to be able to apply the shaving soap in the sitck without having to touch the soap - don't ask, it's probably one of these OCD thing Blush

Another thing explaining it, is that lid on my La Toja stick went off by accident inside my toilet bag and everything inside got rather soapy in a messy way - including my toothbrush Biggrin

I think the better design of the Tabac and SIM soap sticks will eliminate these problems - especially when you have used the first 10-15% of the stick - if it in facts works like a regular deodorant stick.

I used the Tabac deodorant as a kid, and while I do remember it smelled rather 'old manish' (to a 12-13 year old kid) - I actually kind of liked the tobaccy smokey scent I got from it.
So I look forward to adding the Tabac shaving stick to my arsenal of shaving products.

I also bought a 100 gram refill for half the price of the regular stick, which is quite a nice price - if the soaps performs as well as the soap in the pot.

I'll probably mix this Tabac soap with either my Musgo Real Classic cream or my Proraso Blue cream, which at the moment are the two shaving creams I have in my toilet bag - thus making an awesome superlather Cool

(03-05-2014, 09:29 AM)GregDR Wrote: Love my Tabac shave stick, it's my "go to " when I travel. Performs every bit as good as the puck... D.R. Harris also has shave sticks that are in those push/twist up containers to keep your hands free of the "mess"...

Thanks - I'll look into trying the DR Harris shaving stick also Smile

24 5,972
 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I just ordered a Harris Lavender stick for travelling. I've not used a stick before so I hope it's good and it isn't inexpensive.

7 911
 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM
User Info
Just found out the two TOBS shaving sticks also behaves like a deodorant stick Biggrin

Will order two of the St. James - TOBS Sandalwood I already own in the cream pot, and it's not my fav scent.........medicinal mentholated sandalwood to my nose

24 5,972
 03-06-2014, 09:50 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-05-2014, 04:23 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just found out the two TOBS shaving sticks also behaves like a deodorant stick Biggrin

Will order two of the St. James - TOBS Sandalwood I already own in the cream pot, and it's not my fav scent.........medicinal mentholated sandalwood to my nose

Really? Had no idea this was possible! Huh

26 4,928
 03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
User Info
(03-06-2014, 09:50 AM)TheMonk Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 04:23 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just found out the two TOBS shaving sticks also behaves like a deodorant stick Biggrin

David, I think Claus means that the whole soap is contained within the tube and has to be raised by twisting the container base to expose it.

31 5,293
 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-06-2014, 10:15 AM)Optometrist Wrote:

David, I think Claus means that the whole soap is contained within the tube and has to be raised by twisting the container base to expose it.

For a moment there I actually thought Klaus meant the stick could also be used as deodorant. I found it very strange, but stranger things have been done! Biggrin

26 4,928
 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM
User Info
(03-06-2014, 10:15 AM)Optometrist Wrote:

Correct Wink
Sorry about the confusing words I used Tongue

24 5,972
 03-06-2014, 08:15 PM
User Info
I love some of the things in this forum; a Portuguese trying to understand a Dane using English! Biggrin
Sorry, lads, that was a bit funny.

Good luck Claus.

83 21,081
 03-09-2014, 06:28 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Both you guys speak great English!

3 2,635