03-06-2014, 07:54 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I still am sort of a newbie at this stuff so I had a question. Does anyone else find it difficult to lather strop shoppe soap? I was so excited to try it this morning so cracked it open and used to my TSN Simpson brush and had a hard time. I swirled on the soap for about 20 seconds with a not too damp brush. I then decided to move to the bowl to see how much lather I could build up. No matter how hard I tried, how many times I swirled, or how much water I added or didn't add it just wouldn't explode for me.

Does anyone have any tricks with this soap that they can suggest? I've heard such good things and I have found that some soaps just take a little more work but wondered if I was missing something or doing something wrong.

58 1,312
 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM
User Info
Lutebro, I see from the "green eye" of being on-line that you are waiting for an answer. Except for the fact that I used a bit of a sample of Strop Shoppe this morning, I am probably ill qualified to answer your question. I face lather and I am a cynic. Because I face lather and because the Strop Shoppe was a small piece, I started it in a bowl with a couple drops of water and a damp (not wet) brush. Swirled the brush for probably 15-20 seconds, wetted my face and commenced to lather. Not getting as much lather as I wanted, I dipped the brush in water again and continued to apply. Built a nice lather on my face.

Because I am a cynic, I disbelieve most comments about "exploding" lather. I have not personally seen that happen with anything. But then again I do not try to make it explode in the bowl; I want it to develop on my face while I enjoy the excellent massage I get with my brush. Try that next time to see if you don't get something closer to your explosion.

From what you said above, I would guess that you should be adding more water, bit-by-bit, as you develop the lather more as you proceed with swirling.

3 543
 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Yeah, probably a more gradual water adding would help. Going to attack it with my face lather king the Simpson Duke. That'll really be the determining factor. I have been really enjoying face lathering so will report back!

58 1,312
 03-06-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
(03-06-2014, 09:01 AM)Lutebro Wrote: Yeah, probably a more gradual water adding would help. Going to attack it with my face lather king the Simpson Duke. That'll really be the determining factor. I have been really enjoying face lathering so will report back!
Sounds good! I had a very nice shave with it this morning. Well worth cultivating.

3 543
 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
(03-06-2014, 09:06 AM)john parker Wrote:
(03-06-2014, 09:01 AM)Lutebro Wrote: Yeah, probably a more gradual water adding would help. Going to attack it with my face lather king the Simpson Duke. That'll really be the determining factor. I have been really enjoying face lathering so will report back!
Sounds good! I had a very nice shave with it this morning. Well worth cultivating.

That's what I figured. Some soaps are just finnicky. I'll keep working at it.

58 1,312
 03-06-2014, 09:27 AM
User Info
You could try loading a bit more soap I load longer than the 20 seconds recommended by Stroppe Shoppe. It also depends on the hardness/ softness of your water... It will come right with a few practices.

0 875
 03-06-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
Soften the top layer of soap by letting some water soak on it for a minute or so. This will make it easier for the brush to pick up more soap.

Exploding lather is due to air getting worked into the lather. I personally find air to be a detriment to a quality lather. In other words the more air the poorer quality lather and vice versa. Again, this is for my personal tastes. I try to limit air to a minimum in my lathers and as such I never get a lather explosion.

31 8,057
 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM
User Info
As has been stated, trying loading for a longer time, say 45-60 seconds and add water little by little while lathering to see what happens. I think this may remedy the problem. Good luck. Smile

83 21,078
 03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I don't know which formula you are using. However, I have found that the non-tallow formula is more difficult with which to obtain a very dense lather. However, the lather I do get is extremely slick and moisturizing and provides for an excellent smooth shave. I would load the brush for about 45 sec.

1 795
 03-11-2014, 09:44 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I tried out the Barbershoppe today and loaded the heck out of it and face lathered. Got a nice lather out of it after a little bit of water adding. I think I'm figuring out that it's not so much about volume of lather as effectiveness. You can get a ton of volume and have terrible slickness and sometimes get very little volume and great slickness. Every soap is different and the end result won't always be the same but the quality should be similar.

58 1,312
 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
User Info
i load for 60 seconds and use a rather dry brush... works great for me.

as far as explosion go, Castle Forbes is quite capable of a lather explosion Smile

3 254