05-03-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
Do these got much love around here? I have been using them a few months and I like them more and more with each use. They are plenty sharp, smooth and I have found them to be very consistent from blade to blade (this is something that irks me with other blades when they are inconsistent).

I know they are a little pricey, but I feel the urge to make a large purchase here soon...you know, just in case. Any other fans here?

5 78
 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
They are great blades! Would have bought 100 of them but they are too spendy. The Astra SP to me are as sharp they don't last as long as a "Black Ninja" does.

2 805
 05-04-2012, 05:10 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Glad you brought this up. I have a sample pack somewhere in the drawer that I have actually neglected.
To the face they go......

6 905
 05-04-2012, 06:10 AM
User Info
(05-03-2012, 05:20 PM)sunflake Wrote: They are great blades! Would have bought 100 of them but they are too spendy. The Astra SP to me are as sharp they don't last as long as a "Black Ninja" does.

The best price I have found was around $32 per 100. Pretty pricey stuff, but I have spent more per blade on Super Iridiums and I feel like they are close in quality. I wish they were easier to source and a little cheaper though.

5 78
 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-03-2012, 04:42 PM)TallyShave Wrote: I know they are a little pricey, but I feel the urge to make a large purchase here soon...you know, just in case. Any other fans here?

Hi

Out of the 13 different blades I've tried, used so far, Gillette 7 O'clock (Black pack) are by far the best performance blade for me...

Here's what I tweeted after using them for the 1st time...

Quote:Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black pack) -- sweet Mother of God, those are sharp & incredibly smooth #wetshaving

I recently picked up 100 of them, but was lucky enough to end up with 140 (as each 5 pack contained 2 extra free).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
"Black Ninja" - who nicknamed them? I thought that was reserved for Feathers.

How do they compare to Iridiums?

3 84
 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-04-2012, 10:22 AM)SirWhiskers Wrote: "Black Ninja" - who nicknamed them? I thought that was reserved for Feathers.

I find them to be much rougher than Iridiums and they are not as durable in my experience. That is not to say your experience will mirror my experience with them.

45 16,280
 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
User Info
(05-04-2012, 10:27 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(05-04-2012, 10:22 AM)SirWhiskers Wrote: "Black Ninja" - who nicknamed them? I thought that was reserved for Feathers.

I find them to be much rougher than Iridiums and they are not as durable in my experience.

Glad to hear. I don't need to try them then Smile

3 84
 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
User Info
Mike - which razor do you use these in? I got a bunch of these and my experience has been mixed - in that this is a good blade but others (Yellows/Feathers/Vosh/GSB)seem to work as well as better for me). That said, I am very curious since I travel to India on business and am able to get them at ~$20/100. Perhaps, it might not be the best fit in my razor of choice (Super Adj).

(05-04-2012, 08:37 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(05-03-2012, 04:42 PM)TallyShave Wrote: I know they are a little pricey, but I feel the urge to make a large purchase here soon...you know, just in case. Any other fans here?

Hi

Out of the 13 different blades I've tried, used so far, Gillette 7 O'clock (Black pack) are by far the best performance blade for me...

Here's what I tweeted after using them for the 1st time...

Quote:Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black pack) -- sweet Mother of God, those are sharp & incredibly smooth #wetshaving

I recently picked up 100 of them, but was lucky enough to end up with 140 (as each 5 pack contained 2 extra free).

Take care, Mike

0 41
 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
(05-04-2012, 10:36 AM)nickedandcut Wrote: Mike - which razor do you use these in? I got a bunch of these and my experience has been mixed - in that this is a good blade but others (Yellows/Feathers/Vosh/GSB)seem to work as well as better for me). That said, I am very curious since I travel to India on business and am able to get them at ~$20/100. Perhaps, it might not be the best fit in my razor of choice (Super Adj).

YMMV on blades always amazes me. In your list, I lvoe Feathers but found Yellows pretty unusable. I know a lot of people really like them, but I ended giving mine away. Next time you are headed to India let me know and I will send you some funds to pick some up!

5 78
 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-04-2012, 10:36 AM)nickedandcut Wrote: Mike - which razor do you use these in? I got a bunch of these and my experience has been mixed - in that this is a good blade but others (Yellows/Feathers/Vosh/GSB)seem to work as well as better for me). That said, I am very curious since I travel to India on business and am able to get them at ~$20/100. Perhaps, it might not be the best fit in my razor of choice (Super Adj).

Hi

Edwin Jagger DE8..., MÜHLE R41 and Weber DLC.

Blades are most definitely YMMV. Personally I think Feathers are very overrated (and that goes for their sharpness, I just don't see the "crazy" sharpness some people go on about...), they give me a good shave, but nothing special.

So far Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black pack) are my blade, no question about it.

Other blades that work for me (some better than others, but all get the job done):
  • Astra Superior Platinum
  • Bolzano Superinox
  • Dorco Stainless ST301
  • Feather Hi-Stainless
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock (Blue Pack)
  • Personna (Red Israel Personna)
  • Wilkinson Sword Classic (Black Label)
  • Wilkinson Sword Economie

And just to rounds things off, blades that don't work for me:
  • Crystal Platinum Chrome
  • Derby
  • Sputnik
  • Treet Platinum Super Stainless Steel

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
Wow, i do not like Feathers. Too sharp, inconsistent, and dull quickly (yellow and black).
Enjoy the Gillette Yellows and Super Iridiums the best, but i need to try more blades. That YMMV thing!

75 20,883
 05-04-2012, 07:57 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
The Gillette Black blades are fantastic, not a single bad thing I can say about the quality of the shave I get from them as well as how long they last.

With all that being said I still won't buy them as I don't feel they are so much better then my $9/100 Astra SPs. If my girlfriend bought me a pack for my birthday I would be stoked but, would rather spend my shave budget on other luxuries.

1 111
 05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
(05-04-2012, 07:57 PM)Theido Wrote: The Gillette Black blades are fantastic, not a single bad thing I can say about the quality of the shave I get from them as well as how long they last.

With all that being said I still won't buy them as I don't feel they are so much better then my $9/100 Astra SPs. If my girlfriend bought me a pack for my birthday I would be stoked but, would rather spend my shave budget on other luxuries.

+1 I love them as well and they last me like 8 shaves but I just cant kick the $9.00 Astra SP out In favor of $32-$50/100.

2 805
 05-05-2012, 12:14 AM
User Info
I absolutely love these blades. Seem to be hard to come by in th UK.

7 1,179
 05-05-2012, 07:13 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
You bet! I'm a big fan of these blades. I have compared them to many other blades-in different ways. They are one of my very few favorites.
Yea, it's a shame they cost as much as they do, but, what'cha gonna do?
Vic
(05-03-2012, 04:42 PM)TallyShave Wrote: Do these got much love around here? I have been using them a few months and I like them more and more with each use. They are plenty sharp, smooth and I have found them to be very consistent from blade to blade (this is something that irks me with other blades when they are inconsistent).

I know they are a little pricey, but I feel the urge to make a large purchase here soon...you know, just in case. Any other fans here?

32 362
 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM
  • Nova316
  • Alberta, Canada
User Info
I've tried it a few times but I get really bad razorburn
I have a few extra I will try it again sometime down the road.

Maybe its just me but I am not a fan of these blades currently.

0 33
 05-08-2012, 05:49 PM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 09:18 AM)Nova316 Wrote: I've tried it a few times but I get really bad razorburn
I have a few extra I will try it again sometime down the road.

Maybe its just me but I am not a fan of these blades currently.

I would also try them in different razors as that can make a huge difference. My favorite blade is the Iridium Super, but I just don't like them in my Weber razor. Pretty much every other razor it is bliss, but just cant make them work for me in the Weber.

5 78
 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM
  • Nova316
  • Alberta, Canada
User Info
I'll have to give that a try
I tried the blacks in a Slim
I can try em in my EJ89 tonight see if your right

People praise it quite a bit but it tore the balls outta my face and gave me horrible razor burn.

Maybe a less aggressive razor will work

0 33
 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 06:43 PM)Nova316 Wrote: I'll have to give that a try
I tried the blacks in a Slim
I can try em in my EJ89 tonight see if your right

People praise it quite a bit but it tore the balls outta my face and gave me horrible razor burn.

Maybe a less aggressive razor will work

That depends on whether your Slim was set to 9 or 1, or completely tightened down. Some of those vintage TTOs have a silly habit of loosening the knob when you splash them around in the wash basin.

3 195