03-07-2014, 11:05 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
If you don't feel like reading the whole post, here's the summary in two lines: This soap is a serious contender in my den, not only for veggie soaps, but all shaving soaps in general. I found it to be superb. One of the most well-balanced soaps I've used, with a subtle and unique scent, and it won't be leaving my rotation anytime soon.

Greetings Gentlemen. A new soap has just joined my den, and I thought I'd share my first impressions with you.

A few days ago, I received the new First Snow Tre Citta soap from B&M. I have only used B&M tallow soaps in the past, so I had no real expectations of this one, despite the initial optimism/curiosity that made me order it to begin with. Well, after one test lather and two shaves, here are my first thoughts/impressions ... Biggrin.

The soap comes in one of those small mason jars, which I thought was a nice touch, and you get a LOT...7.8oz!!!

[Image: F99Hg1f.png]

In the jar, the soap looks like it was poured in and has a texture, which I thought was a good thing as it made it easier to load the soap. The scent in the jar is kind of an earthy leather (I suck at describing scents). The texture is soft, but not croap soft, which surprised me as I didn't see that it contained Sodium Hydroxide (which is usually what makes a soap on the harder side).

Moving along, the lather: A storm! Very easy to lather and required minimal effort to get it to a very rich and creamy sweet spot. Basically, it contained all the elements that I look for in a lather. The scent of the lather itself is subtle, just like in the jar. But in lather form I lost some of the earthiness I got in the jar, and now the best way I can describe it is a clean leather. I'm sure it sounds weird, but the scent REALLY works, and I really appreciated the subtlety of it. Occasionally I picked up small hints of menthol, but that's because I was looking for it. I tested the longevity of the lather, and it help up for the 20 minutes before I washed everything down as I can't imagine I'd ever need more than that.

On to the shave: The performance was excellent. I found it very well balanced. The lather was rich and creamy, therefore protective. Also, it was slick. When comparing it to others on one or two attributes, it's not the richest, or creamiest, or slickest, or most protective that I've used...but what I loved about it is the fact that it combined all of these factors into one soap and balanced them perfectly, and in a way that I never lacked any of them. From my experience, you don't often see this in a single soap. Once applied to the face, the lather brings in that little bit of menthol...just enough for you to know its there; an ever-so-slight cooling effect, especially once the face is rinsed. It's a milder menthol sensation than I Coloniali provides.

For my two shaves with it so far, I used my Merkur Progress...with which I happen to be an exception, and I don't get along with it. I don't use it very often, but I still bring myself to use it once in a while and my shaves are typically nothing great. Well, these past two shaves with the Progress were excellent...and I have to conclude that First Snow had at least something to do with that. No weepers or irritation of any kind on both shaves. It also gives a decent post-shave feel. If I had to pick on it for anything, it would be that it could provide a more moisturizing post-shave. However, that would also be hypocritical of me because I'm usually reaching for my A/S's and/or unrefined shea butter anyway, so in my case that's a silly point.

My conclusion: Keep in mind, this is only based on two actual uses, so not sure how much credibility I have here. But, I like this soap a lot. It is a soap that I can see myself reaching for when I have no idea what I'm in the mood for that day and just don't feel like thinking about it...and all I want is something good that gives me easy/brainless lathering, no in-your-face scent, a nice shave, zero irritation and that's it. It feels familiar, like its been in my den for years...kinda like a favorite pair of jeans. I've only described one other shaving product like that recently, and that's the Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo LE brush, which I coincidentally used tonight:

[Image: kILGxaG.png]

I look forward to having it in my rotation, and I'll update if anything changes. Happy shaves everyone BiggrinBiggrin

34 1,628
 03-08-2014, 04:27 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Interesting, and I really like the jar............but I'm loaded up on soaps, I really need creams. Potted creams to be specific.

7 2,322
 03-08-2014, 06:16 AM
User Info
(03-07-2014, 11:05 PM)Giorgio Wrote: If you don't feel like reading the whole post, here's the summary in two lines: This soap is a serious contender in my den, not only for veggie soaps, but all shaving soaps in general. I found it to be superb. One of the most well-balanced soaps I've used, with a subtle and unique scent, and it won't be leaving my rotation anytime soon.

Greetings Gentlemen. A new soap has just joined my den, and I thought I'd share my first impressions with you.

A few days ago, I received the new First Snow Tre Citta soap from B&M. I have only used B&M tallow soaps in the past, so I had no real expectations of this one, despite the initial optimism/curiosity that made me order it to begin with. Well, after one test lather and two shaves, here are my first thoughts/impressions ... Biggrin.

The soap comes in one of those small mason jars, which I thought was a nice touch, and you get a LOT...7.8oz!!!

[Image: F99Hg1f.png]

In the jar, the soap looks like it was poured in and has a texture, which I thought was a good thing as it made it easier to load the soap. The scent in the jar is kind of an earthy leather (I suck at describing scents). The texture is soft, but not croap soft, which surprised me as I didn't see that it contained Sodium Hydroxide (which is usually what makes a soap on the harder side).

Moving along, the lather: A storm! Very easy to lather and required minimal effort to get it to a very rich and creamy sweet spot. Basically, it contained all the elements that I look for in a lather. The scent of the lather itself is subtle, just like in the jar. But in lather form I lost some of the earthiness I got in the jar, and now the best way I can describe it is a clean leather. I'm sure it sounds weird, but the scent REALLY works, and I really appreciated the subtlety of it. Occasionally I picked up small hints of menthol, but that's because I was looking for it. I tested the longevity of the lather, and it help up for the 20 minutes before I washed everything down as I can't imagine I'd ever need more than that.

On to the shave: The performance was excellent. I found it very well balanced. The lather was rich and creamy, therefore protective. Also, it was slick. When comparing it to others on one or two attributes, it's not the richest, or creamiest, or slickest, or most protective that I've used...but what I loved about it is the fact that it combined all of these factors into one soap and balanced them perfectly, and in a way that I never lacked any of them. From my experience, you don't often see this in a single soap. Once applied to the face, the lather brings in that little bit of menthol...just enough for you to know its there; an ever-so-slight cooling effect, especially once the face is rinsed. It's a milder menthol sensation than I Coloniali provides.

For my two shaves with it so far, I used my Merkur Progress...with which I happen to be an exception, and I don't get along with it. I don't use it very often, but I still bring myself to use it once in a while and my shaves are typically nothing great. Well, these past two shaves with the Progress were excellent...and I have to conclude that First Snow had at least something to do with that. No weepers or irritation of any kind on both shaves. It also gives a decent post-shave feel. If I had to pick on it for anything, it would be that it could provide a more moisturizing post-shave. However, that would also be hypocritical of me because I'm usually reaching for my A/S's and/or unrefined shea butter anyway, so in my case that's a silly point.

My conclusion: Keep in mind, this is only based on two actual uses, so not sure how much credibility I have here. But, I like this soap a lot. It is a soap that I can see myself reaching for when I have no idea what I'm in the mood for that day and just don't feel like thinking about it...and all I want is something good that gives me easy/brainless lathering, no in-your-face scent, a nice shave, zero irritation and that's it. It feels familiar, like its been in my den for years...kinda like a favorite pair of jeans. I've only described one other shaving product like that recently, and that's the Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo LE brush, which I coincidentally used tonight:

[Image: kILGxaG.png]

I look forward to having it in my rotation, and I'll update if anything changes. Happy shaves everyone BiggrinBiggrin

Great review! Thank you! Biggrin

(03-08-2014, 04:27 AM)Mouser Wrote: Interesting, and I really like the jar............but I'm loaded up on soaps, I really need creams. Potted creams to be specific.

You know, it's funny. When we released the first version, a lot of people complained about the jars, so this was meant to be our last run that would make use of them. However, we've received a lot of positive feedback for this production run, so now we're not sure what to do again. Blush

5 407
 03-08-2014, 07:51 AM
User Info
I've only used it once but it was shaving perfection. Great piney/leather scent, subtly cooling, attractive packaging and, most importantly, great performance. I'm very happy I bought some.

3 735
 03-08-2014, 08:22 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(03-08-2014, 06:16 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: ... so now we're not sure what to do again. Blush
At first, put It in the Sample Pack!! CoolTongueWink

0 1,140
 03-08-2014, 08:52 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(03-08-2014, 06:16 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: You know, it's funny. When we released the first version, a lot of people complained about the jars, so this was meant to be our last run that would make use of them. However, we've received a lot of positive feedback for this production run, so now we're not sure what to do again. Blush

I loved the glass jar! Very hefty and immediately gives it added presence in my den. Excellent execution sir, well done and kudos on another great soap Biggrin

34 1,628
 03-08-2014, 02:28 PM
User Info
Great write-up, Giorgio! I hope you continue to use the soap. Smile

82 21,077
 03-08-2014, 05:34 PM
User Info
(03-08-2014, 08:52 AM)Giorgio Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 06:16 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: You know, it's funny. When we released the first version, a lot of people complained about the jars, so this was meant to be our last run that would make use of them. However, we've received a lot of positive feedback for this production run, so now we're not sure what to do again. Blush

I loved the glass jar! Very hefty and immediately gives it added presence in my den. Excellent execution sir, well done and kudos on another great soap Biggrin

Glad you liked it!

5 407
 03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for the excellent review, Giorgio. B&M make some of the best tallow-based soaps available, and it's nice to hear that they have another winner with a vegan soap.

38 5,107
 03-08-2014, 06:23 PM
User Info
(03-08-2014, 06:22 PM)evnpar Wrote: Thanks for the excellent review, Giorgio. B&M make some of the best tallow-based soaps available, and it's nice to hear that they have another winner with a vegan soap.

Not sure if you received the email, but yours is in the mail. Biggrin

5 407
 03-09-2014, 06:25 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Sounds like a terrific soap!

3 2,634
 03-11-2014, 07:57 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I was eager to try Tre Cetta (three cities?) for the first time this morning. I wasn't that impressed with the lather from the first version, which "was patterned on the techniques of the Italian masters." However, Will stated, "this time around we decided to take a leaf from the books of the great soapmakers of France to make it firmer, creamier, slicker, and more moisturizing than ever," and that they did. This soap literally explodes into a rich, creamy, luxuriously slick lather, what I've grown expect from B&M soaps, only this one is vegan. The scent is very light, fresh, and with "just a touch of menthol," and I did wish that it could be kicked up a notch, but overall I found it to be very pleasant. If I can pry myself away from the intoxicating scent of Vanille, I'll happily incorporate First Snow into my rotation of other B&M soaps, and I'm so impressed with the lather that I'm hoping for other scents of Tre Cetta in the future.

38 5,107
 03-12-2014, 04:09 AM
User Info
(03-11-2014, 07:57 PM)evnpar Wrote: I was eager to try Tre Cetta (three cities?) for the first time this morning. I wasn't that impressed with the lather from the first version, which "was patterned on the techniques of the Italian masters." However, Will stated, "this time around we decided to take a leaf from the books of the great soapmakers of France to make it firmer, creamier, slicker, and more moisturizing than ever," and that they did. This soap literally explodes into a rich, creamy, luxuriously slick lather, what I've grown expect from B&M soaps, only this one is vegan. The scent is very light, fresh, and with "just a touch of menthol," and I did wish that it could be kicked up a notch, but overall I found it to be very pleasant. If I can pry myself away from the intoxicating scent of Vanille, I'll happily incorporate First Snow into my rotation of other B&M soaps, and I'm so impressed with the lather that I'm hoping for other scents of Tre Cetta in the future.

Three Cities it is! We deliberately kept the fragrance light out of concern that a greater concentration of fir oil would irritate peoples' skin. However, there are more scents coming in the future (next will be tangerine/ylang ylang) and we will be offering our fougère scent in both the tallow and vegan bases as well. Glad it worked well!

5 407
 03-12-2014, 05:48 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Very nice review. This'll go on my list of soaps to try very soon!

58 1,312
 03-12-2014, 06:03 AM
User Info
I used Tre Cetta for the first last night. Wow, what an impressive lather. I started with an almost dry brush and added very little water. The lather looked and felt slick almost immediately. I used a small amount and would had enough lather to last at least 4 passes. The scent was very subtle, which I really liked for a change.

As for the shave. Great with a 2 pass shave I got DFS. No razor burn or nicks. This is another winner from B&M.

37 146
 03-12-2014, 06:09 AM
User Info
(03-12-2014, 04:09 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Three Cities it is! We deliberately kept the fragrance light out of concern that a greater concentration of fir oil would irritate peoples' skin. However, there are more scents coming in the future (next will be tangerine/ylang ylang) and we will be offering our fougère scent in both the tallow and vegan bases as well. Glad it worked well!

Oh nice! That makes me feel a lot better. I loved the first run of Tre Citta and was really looking forward to getting the next batch, but ultimately decided to hold off, as I'm a little wary of the fir oil. Y-y-/Tangerine and fougere sound great though!

16 249
 03-12-2014, 06:12 AM
User Info
(03-12-2014, 06:03 AM)oasis man Wrote: I used Tre Cetta for the first last night. Wow, what an impressive lather. I started with an almost dry brush and added very little water. The lather looked and felt slick almost immediately. I used a small amount and would had enough lather to last at least 4 passes. The scent was very subtle, which I really liked for a change.

As for the shave. Great with a 2 pass shave I got DFS. No razor burn or nicks. This is another winner from B&M.

Glad it worked so well for you!

(03-12-2014, 06:09 AM)explodyii Wrote:
(03-12-2014, 04:09 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Three Cities it is! We deliberately kept the fragrance light out of concern that a greater concentration of fir oil would irritate peoples' skin. However, there are more scents coming in the future (next will be tangerine/ylang ylang) and we will be offering our fougère scent in both the tallow and vegan bases as well. Glad it worked well!

Oh nice! That makes me feel a lot better. I loved the first run of Tre Citta and was really looking forward to getting the next batch, but ultimately decided to hold off, as I'm a little wary of the fir oil. Y-y-/Tangerine and fougere sound great though!

We plan to introduce more scents on a rotating basis. There won't be more than one or two in production at a time, but we're going to keep playing around with different fragrance combinations. It was always intended to be our "experimental scent" showcase and I've gotten into the habit of considering suggestions, though that's no guarantee that they'll be produced. Biggrin

5 407
 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(03-11-2014, 07:57 PM)evnpar Wrote: If I can pry myself away from the intoxicating scent of Vanille, I'll happily incorporate First Snow into my rotation of other B&M soaps, and I'm so impressed with the lather that I'm hoping for other scents of Tre Cetta in the future.

Glad you are enjoying it! I don't have the Vanille, but sounds amazing Biggrin

(03-12-2014, 04:09 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: However, there are more scents coming in the future (next will be tangerine/ylang ylang) and we will be offering our fougère scent in both the tallow and vegan bases as well. Glad it worked well!

Yes! Looking forward to trying those out Biggrin

34 1,628
 03-12-2014, 03:18 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Wow I was holding out, but from the appearance in the photos it looks nothing like the first generation Almond version and the pictures of the lather look very good and thick.
Glad to hear all the reviews have been positive thus far, great job B&M! Looking forward to add this nice looking package to my den.

35 1,329
 03-12-2014, 04:21 PM
User Info
(03-12-2014, 03:18 PM)refles Wrote: Wow I was holding out, but from the appearance in the photos it looks nothing like the first generation Almond version and the pictures of the lather look very good and thick.
Glad to hear all the reviews have been positive thus far, great job B&M! Looking forward to add this nice looking package to my den.

Thank you kindly!

5 407