03-08-2014, 03:18 PM
User Info
After having 'wet my feet' into the world of SE razor shaving first with an OCMM and then with a 1912 Ever Ready I'm ready to try out the third one in my little instant-SE-razor-collection:
The 1924 Ever Ready Shovel Head razor

The two first impressions of just holding the razor is;
- "Wow, the handle is tiny", and
- "Very different way of opening up the head (from the "back")".

I am also not completely sold on how the handle feels - these rather prominent ridges that runs down the handle doesn't feel as secure or comfortable as the beautiful 1912 Ever Ready I just used - or as most other handles I've tried. So not off to a super-start as my first impressions are not too positive just by holding it.
Note: I'm also the type of guy that likes bigger, heftier handles so I admit to being somewhat biased - BUT, I did however really like the Art Decoish handle on the 1912...

Here is a comparison in size.
From left to right: Gillette Big Boy, 1924 Ever Ready, Gillette NEW:
[Image: 1924comp_zpsc8abe6ee.jpg]

I know size doesn't matter..or..does it?

The plating is really nice and the condition of my particular razor is probably along the lines of a B+ rating.

Well, that's first impressions....I am really looking forward to popping in a new coated SS GEM blade into it tomorrow morning and see how it performs Smile

I'll be the first to admit I now need to edumacate myself a bit about this razor...did all 24's come with this handle, why is it called Shovel Head...are there non-Shovel Head 24's, etc...

Curious to hear from other 1924 owners about their experiences..or advice...
[Image: 1924a_zpscfbf459d.jpg]

[Image: 1924b_zps04b4e606.jpg]

[Image: 1924c_zps561d901a.jpg]

0 338
 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM
User Info
I think it is the least compelling razor made by ASR.

It is very finicky about the angle, looking at a 1912 or 1914 models in comparison, it looks cheaper to manufacture. So maybe this is why it was introduced.

I shaved with mine a few times, adequate. In the first shave i swapped the handle with the 1912 handle, which made it easier to hold for me. I think ''shovel head'' is a web forum nickname.

6 831
 03-08-2014, 09:32 PM
User Info
(03-08-2014, 09:08 PM)Galhatz Wrote: I think it is the least compelling razor made by ASR.

It is very finicky about the angle, looking at a 1912 or 1914 models in comparison, it looks cheaper to manufacture. So maybe this is why it was introduced.

I shaved with mine a few times, adequate. In the first shave i swapped the handle with the 1912 handle, which made it easier to hold for me. I think ''shovel head'' is a web forum nickname.

I also learnt that this razor actually comes in two 'versions' one more aggressive than the other - AND also comes in gold in a 1912 razor handle.

0 338
 03-08-2014, 10:21 PM
User Info
The handle is tiny because at one time "travel razors" were all the rage. What you have is the travel version without the travel case. Your 1912 ornate handle (art deco) might screw into the head. There are only 2 threads on these old razors one larger, found on the ER '24, and a smaller thread used on some other razors. The ER '24 is correct with either handle and some others. Though I've only seen them with the short handles.

The handle IMO is no big deal. It's fingertips only, not wrap the hand around it. With the pressure we're supposed to use a short handle is no handicap. As aggressive as the ER '24 is you want fingertips anyway. It's not over the top aggressive, but it's up there. :-) It's very "efficient".

Here's a pic of the sort of travel '24 I'm referring to.
[Image: DSC04074_zps215875b8.jpg]

The reference to 2 versions, one mild and one aggressive is the first I've ever heard of this. There is however a spring built into the head that pushes the blade forward. If someone tried to put something in the head that shouldn't have been in it, that spring might be out of adjustment. The spring should be putting very gentle pressure on the blade, pushing it into the stops. If it isn't you have a choice. You can leave it as is in unworking condition as a collector piece to look at, or you can be gently bend the spring leaves outward to allow it to do the job it was intended to do. The danger is that the spring may break, so gently and slowly... and keep in mind that it might break if you're too aggressive with the adjustment. It's intended to gently push the blade into place; not put 100# of pressure on the blade. The ends of the leaf spring might be 1/16" to 1/8" away from the cover when adjusted correctly. But I stress again, only if yours is incorrect does it need adjustment; and even then, go gently.

I have a suitably made dull blade that I use for this sort of testing and adjustment. Something I can work with and not get cut.

Too, in order to open the head and not bugger up the head wrap your fingers around the handle up near the head and open it with your thumb. That keeps the head from smacking into the handle and creating a divot.

The ER '24 is a fine shaver. Maybe a bit aggressive, but really fine. I use one a great deal; it's a favorite. It is pretty homely though.

Let us know how you make out with it.

32 6,460
 03-08-2014, 10:45 PM
User Info
(03-08-2014, 10:21 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The reference to 2 versions, one mild and one aggressive is the first I've ever heard of this. There is however a spring built into the head that pushes the blade forward. If someone tried to put something in the head that shouldn't have been in it, that spring might be out of adjustment. The spring should be putting very gentle pressure on the blade, pushing it into the stops. If it isn't you have a choice. You can leave it as is in unworking condition as a collector piece to look at, or you can be gently bend the spring leaves outward to allow it to do the job it was intended to do. The danger is that the spring may break, so gently and slowly... and keep in mind that it might break if you're too aggressive with the adjustment. It's intended to gently push the blade into place; not put 100# of pressure on the blade. The ends of the leaf spring might be 1/16" to 1/8" away from the cover when adjusted correctly. But I stress again, only if yours is incorrect does it need adjustment; and even then, go gently.

I have a suitably made dull blade that I use for this sort of testing and adjustment. Something I can work with and not get cut.

Too, in order to open the head and not bugger up the head wrap your fingers around the handle up near the head and open it with your thumb. That keeps the head from smacking into the handle and creating a divot.

The ER '24 is a fine shaver. Maybe a bit aggressive, but really fine. I use one a great deal; it's a favorite. It is pretty homely though.

Let us know how you make out with it.

GREAT imfo...
BTW here is a link showing what seems to be two versions of the 24:
http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/tw...ist.35753/

So I should try to bend this spring very carefully Smile
[Image: il_570xN.574098235_1qtz.jpg]

0 338
 03-08-2014, 11:49 PM
User Info
As I suggested, use a purposefully (by you) dulled blade and see if the blade isn't held against the stops. Only then would I adjust anything.

Yes the 2 models of handle attachment have been discussed elsewhere. Handle attachment and aggressiveness in the shave are two different discussions. Both methods of handle attachment can have screwed up springs.

32 6,460
 03-09-2014, 12:25 AM
User Info
I think the reference to difference in how aggressive they are is more about what is shown in this photo

[Image: dsc02592-jpg.45426]

0 338
 03-09-2014, 12:32 PM
User Info
I don't see a picture. But I'd like to.

32 6,460
 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
User Info
One of my least favorite SEs. I hope it serves you better than they did me.

31 8,057
 03-16-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
With 3-4 shaves with the razor now I've concluded that even though it gives me a very, very close shave I don't think I enjoy the actual shaving process with it enough to keep it in my regular rotation. It feels oddly aggressive in a non-pleasant way.
Out of the SE razors I've tried to far it shaves the closest...but I enjoy using it the least.

Ok...on to the next one in my lot..... Smile

0 338
 03-16-2014, 05:27 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
This is one of my favorite SEs. If you like MMs I have two I will gladly trade to get another 1924 or 1914. The only razors I have that shave better are my Cobra and my Shick E2.

Sorry you did not like it.

19 566
 03-16-2014, 06:25 PM
User Info
The reference above to two versions of the ER '24 is probably related to the blade exposure. Since your combs are round on top, yours is the less aggressive '24. If they are flat on top, that '24 has greater blade exposure and is more aggressive.

47 1,270
 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM
User Info
(03-16-2014, 05:27 PM)matloffm Wrote: This is one of my favorite SEs. If you like MMs I have two I will gladly trade to get another 1924 or 1914. The only razors I have that shave better are my Cobra and my Shick E2.

Sorry you did not like it.

I do like MM's and got two of them already Smile
I may try it out again after some time has passed and I've sampled some of the other SE razors I have lying around Smile

I think the photo here illustrates the different blade exposure 'versions' of the 1924's:

[Image: bladeexposure_zps623759b3.jpg]

0 338