03-10-2014, 07:26 AM
User Info
Is there any way to buy just the Cade Plisson Synthetic knot without the handle, knot only? I would like to put one in a custom handle.

18 201
 03-10-2014, 07:32 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I don't believe these knots are available for purchase 'a la carte' or 'stand alone'.

'Buy and break' is one option, if the knot is desired for a custom handle ...

102 18,669
 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
I wish they were available. I want to try the knot but have questions about the durability of the handle. It's light, the wood doesn't seem dense, and I don't know how it's treated. I wonder how it will hold up to repeated water exposure.

51 6,461
 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-10-2014, 07:32 AM)Agravic Wrote: I don't believe these knots are available for purchase 'a la carte' or 'stand alone'.

Pretty sure this is the only choice.

26 4,953
 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Its a shame because I just got one of these and have only used it twice. Id love to remove the knot and reknot it. The knot in these IMO is WAY to floppy lacking backbone. If I could get the knot out without damaging it Id gladly sell it to you on the cheap. Obviously I can remove the knot no prob, but doing so without damaging it is the issue. Im hesitant to steam a wooden handle brush to remove the knot as well or id give it a go.

9 429
 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
I really don't mind the loft. It works real well for bowl lathering my shaving creams. Also the handle is okay but I prefer a bit longer in the Persian jar shape. I think the handle will hold up fine. I have had a few wood handles that were similar without any problems. I just thought if I could get some knots it would be fun to put in some other handles. The brushes are a little to expensive to destroy the handle for the knot IMO

18 201
 03-11-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
(03-10-2014, 07:32 AM)Agravic Wrote: I don't believe these knots are available for purchase 'a la carte' or 'stand alone'.

+1 Unless you have a connection at Plisson. Biggrin

83 21,115
 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(03-11-2014, 10:42 AM)houlejames Wrote: I really don't mind the loft. It works real well for bowl lathering my shaving creams. Also the handle is okay but I prefer a bit longer in the Persian jar shape. I think the handle will hold up fine. I have had a few wood handles that were similar without any problems. I just thought if I could get some knots it would be fun to put in some other handles. The brushes are a little to expensive to destroy the handle for the knot IMO

Got it out - PM Sent

BTW The reason the brush is so light is that the wooden handle is hollow and filled with expansion foam like used in sealing cracks around windows. I assume it is the low expanding version otherwise the handle would prob crack but that is exactly what is in there or something exactly like it.

9 429
 05-14-2014, 04:54 PM
User Info
(03-11-2014, 10:55 AM)W.S.O. Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 10:42 AM)houlejames Wrote: I really don't mind the loft. It works real well for bowl lathering my shaving creams. Also the handle is okay but I prefer a bit longer in the Persian jar shape. I think the handle will hold up fine. I have had a few wood handles that were similar without any problems. I just thought if I could get some knots it would be fun to put in some other handles. The brushes are a little to expensive to destroy the handle for the knot IMO

Got it out - PM Sent

BTW The reason the brush is so light is that the wooden handle is hollow and filled with expansion foam like used in sealing cracks around windows. I assume it is the low expanding version otherwise the handle would prob crack but that is exactly what is in there or something exactly like it.

Hi Jim, So how did you remove the knot? Is it unscathed?

1 171
 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Beardbgone Wrote: Hi Jim, So how did you remove the knot? Is it unscathed?

He would have had to cut the handle...delicately.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

14 871
 05-15-2014, 01:56 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I relofted one for a friend and do think the brush will benefit from a reduction in loft. The knots are a PITA to work with due to the way they're constructed but if I wanted a synthetic brush it would be this knot or the Muhle.

12 743
 05-15-2014, 06:11 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-14-2014, 04:54 PM)Beardbgone Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 10:55 AM)W.S.O. Wrote:

Got it out - PM Sent

Hi Jim, So how did you remove the knot? Is it unscathed?

I steamed it out but only for like 2 minutes. When a knot is in one of the metal ferrules you only need to steam it for literally like 2 minutes. After you remove it let it cool down for a minute or so. The metal ring expands from the heat of the steam, then when it cools for a minute it contracts which pulls it away from the glue/epoxy holding it in the brush. I dont like to steam knots I am going to reuse normally as I think it can effect their potential to shed hairs but there are 2 reasons in this case that was not as big a concern. 1- this is a synthetic and if you have ever had one you may have noted that shedding of hairs is simply a non occurrence and 2- I knew I was only going to subject it to stem for a very short amount of time- as my goal really was to simply get that metal ring to expand.
Hope that help. Oh and when I steam out knots i actually use a japanese bamboo steamer you put on top of the pot of boiling water. I dont do the "in pot" method ever.

(05-14-2014, 06:32 PM)Attila Wrote:
Beardbgone Wrote: Hi Jim, So how did you remove the knot? Is it unscathed?

He would have had to cut the handle...delicately.

That was my initial thought as well but after discussing with houlejames and giving it some thought I decided to try the method mentioned above ad I was lucky that it worked quite well. The plisson handle, which was really not that impressive as far as its construction once I saw the inside however it does look nice and say Plisson on it and is my favorite shape (i like beehives), is now coated with 5 super thin coats of spar urethane & has been re knotted with the softest 24mm horse hair knot I have ever felt in my life.

9 429
 05-15-2014, 07:16 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought you could safely steam it out and not affect the knot. Nice job.

14 871
 05-15-2014, 09:03 AM
User Info
I have been using the knot and new handle continuously for shaving every other day and it is my favorite. Really works great.

18 201
 05-15-2014, 10:57 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-15-2014, 09:03 AM)houlejames Wrote: I have been using the knot and new handle continuously for shaving every other day and it is my favorite. Really works great.

That is awesome James! It makes me feel good knowing someone is enjoying that knot. It really was a win-win-win and brought you , me and bowhntr all together. He made a beautiful handle, I got rid of the knot and made another brush i like with the plisson handle, You got a custom handled brush with one of the mist sought after synthetic knots around that no one i know of has in a handle other than the plisson, and we all got to know and respect each other from the entire thing. Pretty damn cool.

9 429
 05-15-2014, 10:59 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
That is awesome to hear guys! Nice work!

14 871