03-10-2014, 07:57 AM
User Info
I've been looking through the many threads on synthetic brushes on the Nook, and it's been interesting, but a little overwhelming to keep track of the various 'generations' of synthetic fibre knots - especially as the 'generations' are a system that's not accepted by the makers themselves (being devised by a member here).

Anyway, I keep having to go back to the threads to see if I can figure out which generation a knot or brush of my interest belongs to.

I thought it would be nice to have a table of the various generations for reference. It could have the characteristics of the fibres and some of the brushes that use them noted.

It would also be a great thing to have as a sticky.

Does anyone else agree that this would be nice?

If people agree that it's something that would be nice to have, I can offer my services in putting a list together.

37 1,743
 03-10-2014, 09:22 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I think this would be very useful, Yohann. I'm assuming that Gary or Jim (Codfish) may have something like it prepared already.

0 1,137
 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
I agree that it would be useful to have a table with the currently available synthetics and a designation of a generation for each one.

48 5,722
 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM
User Info
I don't need the table, Yohann, but I also think it would be a great aid for other folks, especially, any new chaps to the forum and to wet shaving. Great of you to do this, my friend! Biggrin

82 21,056
 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
If a table is to be made I will have to go back through other data stored offline for information not displayed in the threads to create an accurate one. That will take some review. I will put that on the "to do list" but keep in mind the data is not all in one place.
in my archives so it will not be immediate.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

In addtion not all brushes have or will be tested so all brushes will not be on that list.

1 2,827
 03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
User Info
Re: above post

That makes perfect sense, and you don't have to do all by yourself. I volunteer to help in any way I can. I'll comb through the posts here and see if I can get a list started. It will be very incomplete.

I don't think there's any way that one person can try out every brand/model of synthetic hair knot there is, so we don't expect it to be comprehensive.

I just think that a reference of 'what to expect' would be useful.

For example, I know that the Plisson Synth I received today is supposed to be very soft and with less spring and backbone than the Muhle V2 STF (which I tried), but off the top of my head I cannot state which is newer.

37 1,743
 03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
User Info
Add

(03-10-2014, 11:05 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: As to fiber types from visual comparison it looks like late gen 3. Fibers are only one element. I was planning on writing an article this weekend discussing some of the misconceptions of the generations and how other elements of brush making can make or break the quality of a brush regardless of fibers used.

I was also interested in seeing the results from the first wave of Simpson 48 mm brushes to see what happens to that gen 4 fiber in that short of a loft. May make or keep Muhle and Plisson as the better deal. Yes a gen 3 fiber in a well made or correctly lofted knot could for many users out perform a brush with gen 4 fibers.

1 2,827