03-11-2014, 07:22 AM
User Info
Background

The 5 piece ATT M1/R1/H1 set is the newest addition to my modest collection. I am not good at reviews and have never kept a journal, so this thread may be worthless in the end. My intent is to post observations about using the ATT set. Whether it stays or goes remains to be seen.

For reference, following are razors I have, have owned or used:
EJ Jagger DE89Bl with Weber Classic handle
Gillette Aristocrat
Mergress XL
Gillette Old Type
Merkur 23C
Weber Polished Head
Gillette New Type Long Comb
I have no idea how other razors shave and may not correctly remember the ones I have. Take what I remember with a grain of salt.

If it matters to you, typical pre shave is good face wash with glycerine soap. I use any number of soaps. Thayers Witch Hazel for post shave and an after shave balm. Normal shave for me is 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG.

I will denote blades and which head I'm using. Two weeks ago I used the DE89 and last week the Weber PH. My blade bias is Gillette Silver Blue and Polsilver Super Iridium, but neither or both may work well for me with the ATT heads.

Shave #1 - R1

Rare for me but I started the day with a two day growth. The Kronos handle came with the R1 head attached, so that is what I shaved with this morning with one of the supplied Astras. Based on my correspondence with Stan I expected this to be much more aggressive than the DE89/Weber, and was dubious as Astras have not worked well for me in the past. Preshave expectation is FAIL.

Hmmm. I really did not find the R1 head more aggressive than the Weber/DE89. I would say the shave was more similar than different. It seemed more efficient, and this was especially noticeable after the second pass as the shave was closer than is typical. Still required my third pass but much less blade buffing. The Astra worked well enough with some noticeable tugging, but not as much I recall with other razors.

Rather than what I expected I got a pleasant three pass shave with some tugging from the Astra. The shave is close. I managed to snag a bump on my throat which bled, but I would have caught that with any razor. Post shave with no burn from the witch hazel and balm felt normal. Looking forward to day 2 with this combo.

Final summary in post 55

6 358
 03-11-2014, 07:24 AM
User Info
Nice thread, I'm looking forward to your ongoing impressions with this razor/system.

10 2,062
 03-11-2014, 07:34 AM
User Info
Nice review. You have all the goodiesSmile

119 13,014
 03-11-2014, 07:36 AM
User Info
Thanks for posting this. I think this is a great looking razor and have read many threads on it so I will be interested to see how you end up liking it. I like milder razors and just have the feeling even the mildest of the base plates may be too aggressive for what I like. Please keep posting your impressions

44 486
 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
(03-11-2014, 07:36 AM)AFG008 Wrote: Thanks for posting this. I think this is a great looking razor and have read many threads on it so I will be interested to see how you end up liking it. I like milder razors and just have the feeling even the mildest of the base plates may be too aggressive for what I like. Please keep posting your impressions

If if helps I found the Merkur 23C too mild to be useful and the '48-50 Aristocrat better but still too mild. I consider the DE89 and Weber to be on the mild side of agressive.

6 358
 03-11-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
Thanks, I get along fine with the Weber, use a Futur set at 2.25, and like the ikon OC and Slant quite a bit. I keep thinking I should try the ATT as I have the Kronos handle and right now I don't have a head to use on it. I'll be watching for how you continue to like it and maybe that will help make up my mind.

44 486
 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
I've been using the R2 with my BRW handle for the past couple of shaves and love it. It's become my favorite razor. I agree with you, Al. The ATT R2 is much more efficient. What used to take me 3 passes with other razors now takes 2 and its a very smooth and comfortable shave. I would have never thought that a razor this well made out from steel could make such a big difference, but it does.

9 1,203
 03-12-2014, 03:11 AM
User Info
Shave #2 - R1

R1 with Astra. I intend to use the R1 for the remainder of the week. Today was another close comfortable 3-pass shave with much less buffing than in the past. Honestly, I am surprised at how mild (aggressive) the razor is but how efficient it is. At least with the Astra it seems it would be difficult to cut or nick yourself with this base plate.

I intend to use each base plate for a week, but I'm traveling this weekend and won't be taking the ATT with, so two shorter weeks. The DE89 is now my travel razor so I'll have a quick comparison of the R1 to that and I'll probably use the M1 base plate when I return. I'll change to one of my preferred blades with the R1, either tomorrow or Friday. Interested to know what if any difference that will make

Going into this I assumed the M1 would be the one I prefer and I would tolerate the R1. Now I'm wondering if I will even like the M1.

6 358
 03-12-2014, 08:05 AM
User Info
I agree. I like my R2 so much I'm seriously considering the H2.

9 1,203
 03-13-2014, 03:08 AM
User Info
Shave #3 - R1

R1 + Gillette Silver Blue

Astras still tug so not a good choice of blade for me. The GSB was much better. However, I must have been applying some pressure with the Astras. Same technique, same pressure = razor burn today. I need to lighten up on my touch. Shave close and comfortable otherwise. I normally get a DFS no matter the razor and no exception with the ATT.

This is the heaviest head I have shaved with. Heavier than the Weber. This seems to contribute to the efficiency. The razor has nice balance with the Kronos handle and this is a good length for me. The Weber handles feel heavier and eventually I may try the classic handle with the ATT head. Should probably put them all on the scale to confirm.

ATT is growing on me, and the R1 seems to be a good head choice at this point.

6 358
 03-13-2014, 06:35 AM
User Info
Great review, I'll be picking up an ATT M2 Kronos tomorrow Biggrin

23 474
 03-14-2014, 02:44 AM
User Info
Congratulations on your new razor!

No shave today. Only work half a day, beard not too bad and I can let my razor burn heal.

6 358
 03-16-2014, 04:50 AM
User Info
Shave #4 - R1

Traveling but used the R1 with Gillette Silver Blue yesterday. Great 3 pass shave and no buffing. At first blush I really like the R1. Looking forward to trying the other base plates.

6 358
 03-16-2014, 05:48 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I am trying to decide between an H2 or R2. Looking for something smoother than an R41 and more effective than a Shavecraft 101.

47 677
 03-16-2014, 08:36 AM
User Info
I am also deciding between the H2 or R2.. The iKon slant isn't doing it for me

1 182
 03-18-2014, 05:47 AM
User Info
Shave #5 - M1

M1 + Polsilver Iridium

When I ordered the ATT set this is the head I expected to like the best. Today is the first shave with it. After using the R1 this was a very mild shave. Pretty similar to the DE89 or the Weber in feel and result. Normal 3 pass shave with the requisite blade buffing. Both a mild feel and not all that efficient. First impression? Miss the R1 already.

In comparsison I would classify the R1 as feeling like the DE89 and shaving like a Mergress/Progress on 3.

6 358
 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
I just ordered the H2 to go with my R2. I want to get a comparison.

9 1,203
 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
My R2 is on the way Smile

1 182
 03-18-2014, 12:19 PM
User Info
(03-18-2014, 12:16 PM)ffarouki Wrote: My R2 is on the way Smile

I hope you like the R2. It's the best razor I own now, BUT I do have a Cobra on the way.Tongue

9 1,203
 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
User Info
Woot! Congratulations on the H2 and on the R2. Well done. Planning on trying the H1 next week unless I can't stand how mild the M1 is.

6 358