03-11-2014, 07:40 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I was duped by the good photographer. I recently purchased a Gillette Blue Tip from the bay. It looked near immaculate. The bidding went accordingly. It was the only super seed I needed to complete my SS collection so I went higher than i normally would and won.
I got the razor today. All I can say is man the person did a fantastic job taking pics, hiding the blemishes. It is the same razor as the few visible in pics are there , but there are several that were extremely well hidden by camera angle and lighting.
Am I pissed, not really. Disappointed..yes a bit. With some cleaning up and polishing etc it will be a fine example of a blue tip, but it looked like an unpack and put in the rotation/ display and it surely isnt.
First time this has happened to me. I may have let my wants outweigh my good judgement.I will stay within my pre set spend limit from now on...regardless.

9 429
 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Pics please when you've had a chance to clean & polish.

Ebay ... proceed with caution at times!

102 18,552
 03-11-2014, 07:45 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(03-11-2014, 07:42 AM)Agravic Wrote: Pics please when you've had a chance to clean & polish.

Ebay ... proceed with caution at times!

Absolutely will post pics. I have been very fortunate and lucky on ebay. This is my first regret and after its cleaned up the buyer's remorse may subside...we will see.

9 429
 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear that, hopefully the razor will clean up nicely. I mostly sell on Ebay, hardly ever buy.

13 133
 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Most (good) sellers have a return policy. It will cost a couple bucks to return, but it will save you the heartache.

139 2,677
 03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(03-11-2014, 08:08 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Most (good) sellers have a return policy. It will cost a couple bucks to return, but it will save you the heartache.

I am weighing the option. So far I have just cleaned it, no polishing or anything so I could return it. Im trying to decide if I want to pursue a return or proceed with polishing. Ill update here when I decide.

9 429
 03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I got a 1924 Ever Ready just the other day that looked perfect and was described as perfect. The razor was to be gold and the pictures looked great. Apparently when he took the picture he used yellow light because when the razor came the head had complete plate loss. It was a bummer but not worth the hassle of returning. I figured i'll just polish the heck out of it and polish the gold off the handle and it'll still look nice. I don't really care if it's gold.

58 1,312
 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Yeah, I got burned on a ebay purchase too.
The razor in question was a birth-quarter Tech for my brother (meant as a Xmas gift). The photos all showed an immaculate razor but like you said, the seller was very careful with camera angles.
When I got it, the handle threads had nearly been stripped out and the head threads were gouged. There was obvious brassing between the cap and base plate. Again, all cleverly hidden in the photos by the angles.

Buyer beware. Especially when the auction states "The photos are part of the description".

47 1,901
 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear of this happening to you guys. I always think I'm going to get burned like this too on EBay items with blurry photos but didn't realize how deceptive things could get! W.S.O., if you decide to not return it, might be worth contacting the seller anyway to let em know and see if they can knock some bucks off if nothing else. They may want to do that to avoid a negative review (but I'm not suggesting mentioning anything about the review). Either way I think it helps the community to comment on these things in EBay reviews, even if it is just to say that although not as pictured, seller made good faith effort at amends.

0 10
 03-11-2014, 05:47 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
After some Elbow Grease (and some products that will remain unnamed) Hard to be too upset:
[Image: BzZocLO.jpg][Image: KkQjcEI.jpg][Image: lOfrDlz.jpg][Image: gUTU3pl.jpg][Image: u15tyQ6.jpg]

9 429
 03-11-2014, 05:50 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice restoration, Jim ... looks like things worked out OK.

102 18,552
 03-11-2014, 06:26 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(03-11-2014, 05:50 PM)Agravic Wrote: Very nice restoration, Jim ... looks like things worked out OK.

Thank You. I am very pleased. It really did all work out just fine. Actually I got some satisfaction in bringing it back to this level, so all in all I am very happy.I suppose it only fitting that the final super speed I needed to top off my collection is one I had to do some restoration too.

9 429
 03-12-2014, 01:55 AM
User Info
Like you I've had some poor buys from ebay. I'm pleased you managed to bring the razor up to your liking.
I can think of around 4 razors that were really bad when I got them. I should have sent them back really but did the best I could with them.
The other side is getting a razor better than the photo's Smile
I bought a Berkshire set that's mint never been used not a sign of soap residue on it. Complete with all the original blades from 1930.

0 875