03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I have a Vie Long 13061B which has decided to start balding on me. Its my most favourite brush and it now loses between 5-7 hairs per lather. I love the handle, and got used to the scritch from the horse hair but after some googling I see that other nookers have reknotted this awesome handle.

I'm pretty much set on getting a silvertip this time around. I have a 2 band badger and and looking for something super soft and luxurious. I went on TGN's website but i'm confused with the various varieties of silvertips; what is the difference between the various silvertips (premium, grade A, standard, super silvertip) and the super badger?

All the descriptions on the website are fairly similar so I'm hoping some of you have some experience with the various grades of hair.

Also, I don't want the knot to bloom to much; I have a small face and want a small knot surface. What size knot should I go with and what loft height?

Thanks!

22 653
 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM
User Info
I have the Silvertip Grade A. Mine is 20mm set a 45mm loft. I use it as my travel brush and it performs well with soap and cream. It seems somewhat small, but I like you like small knots. I have found the 22mm set at no more than 48mm loft to be more of a preferred setup. I had a 22 et at 50 and it was a bit weak, but a great performer.

From what I have seen the Grade A knots my favorite, the Finest from the old batches of three years ago or so were superb as is the Grade A. I have no experience with the F2. I would like to try one in best badger. I will post a picture tomorrow.

12 245
 03-12-2014, 07:20 AM
User Info
I have had a couple of the Grade A knots and thought they had a fair amount of scritch. They now have a higher grade of three band Silvertip but I have read that they also have some scritch to them. I have been very happy with WSP's superfine which I find very soft with just a gentle scrub. I would be tempted to try one of WSP's silvertips or at least ask Lee about them.

44 486
 03-12-2014, 08:28 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The TGN STA is kind of like Simpson's Best knots, sometimes you get a super soft tipped brush with good backbone and other times you get a bit of scritch. I have lucked out and received a scritchless version which I installed in an old Made-Rite handle. Mine is a 22mm knot which once installed measures in at 24mm with a 47mm loft (great face lathering brush).

[Image: V7cZxdy.jpg]

139 2,677
 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM
User Info
Thanks for the comments fellas. So i've read about the TGN STAs but what about the super silvertips or premium silvertips? Any experience with those?

At one point I had a WD silvertip which was like lathering with a cloud. It was far too floppy, but the softness was incredible (sadly it too was a shedder).

I'm looking for something similar; no scritch and as close to cloud like softness. I'm also thinking of going with a 20mm or 22mm knot, at a loft of about 46mm. Hopefully it won't bloom too much and will be a good travel brush.

22 653