03-12-2014, 12:15 AM
User Info
Every now and then someone makes the claim that you can save a load of cash by switching to traditional wetshaving. Having a bit of downtime, I decided to hunt the internet for data points, and came across - among a lot of other, semi-related articles - one article that at least seemed to have done the math.

His breakdown?
- Going electric costs you 0.08 to 0.16 USD per shave - with a high up front cost.
- Using cheap disposables bought in bulk costs 0.08 to 0.11 USD per shave - or about the same as a gifted electric.
- Carts sets you back around 0.39 USD per shave - it adds up, even if you eeek the last bit of life from the blade.
- If you invest in a razor sharpener, both disposables and carts runs to about 0.02 USD per shave - much more reasonable.
- Traditional DE he claim runs in at 0.05 USD per shave - although that is at just two shaves per blade.
- Traditional DE with a razor sharpener ticks in at ~0.03 USD - or about the same as disposable and carts when sharpened.

Keep in mind that the breakdown don't include pre-shave soap, shave soap, brushes or aftershaves... in fact, I suspect that if the author had invested in a decent shave soap, he would get a lot more than two shaves out of each blade without nicking... or he could be using a less then good brand of blades.

3 4,511
 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
Missing the straight razor Biggrin that would be 0.00000(...)... as above, considering only the blades.

0 106
 03-12-2014, 12:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The initial outlay for the DE or Straight setup ( this will include razor, quality brush, soap, strops, stones, etc.) will probably be more than the electric, but who wants to hear buzzing in their ears.

178 23,809
 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM
User Info
Unfortunately, the article is only one person's experiences, and this is one of those YMMV situations. In order to be more applicable and useful, a report would need to involve a study of a large number of shavers and would need to control for all the variables such as cost per DE blade, frequency of shaves, shaves per blade, etc.

207 12,267
 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
Certainly this article is just this one person's experience, but it's interesting nonetheless. He's not trying to do any statistical analysis, just a "back of the envelope" calculation. We can all quickly do the same using our own number of shaves/blade, and our own costs, and our own biases, but it's still nice to see something like this in print.

Thanks for posting this, Hans!

0 836
 03-12-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
For me, I was using a brush and soap before with cartridges. So all of the fun stuff I was still buying. And therefore the cost of the blades and razors is a pretty straightforward exercise -- it's cheaper this way. I just have to avoid razor and brush acquisition disease.

0 303
 03-12-2014, 02:13 PM
User Info
my blade cost is us$5 per year. i have a lifetime supply of iridium super i got in a hell of a deal. since the price is 2013-money the $-cost will diminish for each future year Biggrin

7 1,624
 03-12-2014, 02:40 PM
  • sm304
  • Carnoustie, UK.
User Info
(03-12-2014, 12:05 PM)Johnny Wrote: The initial outlay for the DE or Straight setup ( this will include razor, quality brush, soap, strops, stones, etc.) will probably be more than the electric, but who wants to hear buzzing in their ears.

The initial outlay? Don't you mean the constant outlay? Blush

My cost per shave since beginning old fashioned shaving around 18 months ago is astronomical, and doesn't seem to be re-aligning anytime soon. Wink

Scott.

0 89
 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Interesting article. Even though it only considers blades and uses a minimalistic approach. My cost per shave sky rocketed since I started wet shaving Smile

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

10 486
 03-12-2014, 10:43 PM
User Info
Interesting.

Yup, that was the goal of my shaving odyssey, savings. Then I discovered I actually liked shaving. The rest is history and the savings goal flew out the window.

I couldn't be happier!

32 6,460
 03-15-2014, 04:17 AM
User Info
If you take a minimalist approach - I think you can and will save money as compared to cart shaving.

My problem - I enjoy the "hobby" aspect of wet shaving and it is hard to keep my AD under control. But hey, I like the this stuff and will continue to buy different soaps, creams, etc

0 150
 03-15-2014, 04:52 AM
User Info
(03-12-2014, 10:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Interesting.

Yup, that was the goal of my shaving odyssey, savings. Then I discovered I actually liked shaving. The rest is history and the savings goal flew out the window.

I couldn't be happier!

that's the real goal and proof you have achieved true shave-enlightenment Lightbulb

7 1,624
 03-15-2014, 11:05 AM
User Info
It's hard to put a price tag on the feeling you get thinking about facing another work day, another week, and at first it feels like a weight on your shoulders, and then thinking "But I'll get to start the day off with a nice shave. Maybe I'll try something different."

0 303
 03-15-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
(03-12-2014, 10:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Interesting.

I couldn't be happier!

+1 Clap

83 21,081
 03-16-2014, 04:45 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I too had the same Shaving Odyssey Goal ... But I like the Journey of The Shave much better now.

My Wife doesn't understand but, Oh Well!!!

1 819
 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
Continuing from last week; I'm still poking at the internet to figure out just how much cheaper traditional wetshaving can be, compared to cartridges, and I've found another article that takes shaving cream into account.
[Image: CostComparisonsCU.jpg]
Caveat; it's from a online retailer of shaving gear... so there will be a bias. The math is sound though, and his data on the longevity of carts is from the manufacturer.

3 4,511