03-13-2014, 09:00 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Good morning all!

I know that we have a variety of other hobbies in addition to our love if wet shaving. I am wondering if anyone here has restored vintage axes, or an axe in general?

This pastime has piqued my interest mainly because the hatchet I have has a bit as blunt as the poll, and my axe has the haft falling out of it, and the head looks like it had been tumbled with boulders. (I'll put pics up later today). I have looked into new axes, but don't want to spend the 100-300+ for a quality one, so I figure I would bring an old one back to life. It's more economically friendly, and some vintage ones just look plain cool!

I don't know if either of the ones I have are worth bringing back, as the hatchet doesn't seem to have a tempered bit, and the axe is just plain old banged up like mad! I do need one though for my own camping and for scout camps (I'm a scout leader).

In heading to a big antique show this weekend where I'll see if they have any, I don't think they will (funny since I'm in canada and all...lol) but you never know.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has done this before? I will update this thread once I have started, bit I wanted to get the question out there. Wink

Thanks!!

1 608
 03-13-2014, 09:28 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I,m from Calgary originally and we just used a straight razor for chopping wood and hunting bears...TongueBiggrin

6 2,045
 03-13-2014, 10:30 AM
User Info
(03-13-2014, 09:28 AM)Harvey Wrote: I,m from Calgary originally and we just used a straight razor for chopping wood and hunting bears...TongueBiggrin

Harvey, you are Canadian?!!!! That just might explain things, now! Biggrin

83 21,112
 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
abooot...for sure...a real man from the CANADIAN wilds...where men are men and nobody else is worth a pound of Cow Sh-t!!!!

6 2,045
 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Hope you've seen the youtube videos on restoring axes.

I am a novice camper and didn't realize axes were taken so seriously until I started research . Research also revealed how connected Canadians are to canoeing and the great outdoors.

I bought a Granfors Bruks from ebay.
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products...orest-axe/

I really thought of the axe purchase in relationship to razor buying. It seemed that $130 for a top of the line axe was a bargain compared to the prices of even mediocre razors these days.

15 541
 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
User Info
Luke,
I have replaced hatchet handles and sharpened and oiled my fair share of heads. I do not have any metal grinding tools so I have never fixed an axe with a mushroomed poll. It's funny but my axe handles last longer than my hatchet handles. I have never replaced an axe handle, only hatchet handles.

A guy (Wranglestar) on Youtube has a channel devoted to homesteading. In this
he rstores an adze. You may find it helpful. There is a part 2 as well. If you search his channel I recall a video on selecting and buying vintage tools like axes to restore. He has 500+ videos and I could spend days looking at them.

Phil

7 363
 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM
User Info

0 57
 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM
User Info
you can find some tips about axes here - as well as replacement handles:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/wetterlings-axes/

7 1,624