03-13-2014, 04:17 PM
User Info
Got some Stirling soap in the mail and decided to compare them with some I had on the shelf in my own, personal little 'Scent-Off competition'....

[Image: stirling_zpsfdb1276c.jpg?t=1394687398]

The contenders;
Naked & Smooth
Tea Tree
Ben Franklin
Sharp Dressed Man
Bay Rum
Rose
Sandalwood
Lemongrass & Cajeput

I will rate these soaps using the CUHPR system (Completely Unscientific and Highly Personal Ratings) purely on...how they smell. I am also truly terrible at describing scents so this should be highly informative and something you really should base future purchase decisions on.

Naked & Smooth
This is the Stirling soap for sensitive skin and I actually use the soap bar version for my face and like it a lot.
Scent-wise it's a tad unfair to include it in the competition (since it's...you know...unscented) but it's also very much in line with CUHPR to do so...so I do.
The scent is very faint. I pick up some soap. It's pleasant but not exciting. It's like a nice smelling grandma. In a good way.
CUHPR: 4/10

Tea Tree
I'm getting a freshly cut lawn. A lawn that someone sprinkled some spice over. Not sure what spice but I like it. It's not overwhelming at all and doesn't offend my nose in any way. It's pleasant.
CUHPR: 6/10

Ben Franklin
This soap is officially described as "smells like an older gentleman’s pantaloons at the end of a hot July day in Philadelphia, drafting important documents with no air conditioner. "
Now, I haven't been blessed with the opportunity to be around - or sniff - pantaloons of the nature described here but what I can tell you is that, based on this soap, I wouldn't mind.
The scent is fairly faint, to the point that I wish it would punch me a bit harder with that sweaty pantaloon smell. Supposedly it has clove and nutmeg in it...but I can't detect that.
CUHPR: 5/10

Sharp Dressed Man
Now, this is one seriously dangerous soap. First time I picked it up and gave it courtesy smell I was like "Ok, smells nice but hardly anything there". Then I put it down. Came back to it. Put it down...and came back to it realizing I may have developed a crush on a soap.
I even have the soap bar of this "S.D.M" and even though you may think the scent is faint...it quickly fills up the shower area with that fantastic, impossible to pin-point scent.
I absolutely, hands-down, love this scent. It is fantastic.
Now, if it could only make me look like Cary Grant as well - not only smell as he did - I'd be drinking and bathing in this stuff.
This may be one of the best scents ever invented.
Did I mention I really like it?
Because I really do.
CUHPR: 9/10

Bay Rum
I have confession to make. I had never smelled Bay Rum before I received this soap. I had of course heard a lot of people raving about this elusive scent and I really wanted to try it out - and like it.
Turns out I think I may hate Bay Rum.
While Sharp Dressed Man has a scent I want to fall asleep to - Bay Rum has a scent I want to get away from me. It's very strong...and very spicy. It smells like Christmas to me for some reason. A very spicy drunken Christmas drink. I actually think it may hurt my nostrils.
No idea if the Stirling version of Bay Rum is 'authentic' or if represents Bay Rum well - all I can say is that I am reluctant to shave with it.
CUHPR: 2/10

Rose
Now this soap came to me a 'surprise sample' from Rod at Stirling soaps.
Not sure I would had ordered it on my own. I mean it's a floral rose scent. What am I? A girl?
So I picked it up ready to just 'sniff it and dismiss it' - but wow. this is a very 'delicate' (like a rose?) scent. It's faint..yet has a presence. It's actually very close to S.D.M in how it pulls you in and makes you like it.
It feels very refined...and..as if I want to be a better man because of this soap.
I really like it.
It's also one of the 'exclusive' soaps of Stirling's carrying a premium price and it's is the only soap currently sold out. So hah, I have one..and you don't...and I'll use it...oh yes I will.
Not sure it smells like a rose but I don't really sniff many roses so it may be hard for me to tell anyway - all I know is I really like it.
CUHPR: 8/10

Sandalwood
I was first introduced to Sandalwood through a sample cologne I received from Trumpers. I loved it SO much I mortgaged my house and ordered a bottle from them.
A bit later I receive this Sandalwood soap by Stirling.
It doesn't quite smell like the cologne. Maybe there are different 'versions' of Sandalwood just like there are a thousand and one versions of Bay Rum. I didn't fall in love with this soap right away. I've gone back to it and sniffed it and I like it...I just don't love it. Yet.
It's a fairly faint smell (not like the punch in the nose strength of the Bay Rum) and not offensive at all. I can pick up traces of the Sandalwood scent I had from the Trumpers product but obviously not as strong. I am however looking forward to smell it as I shave with it.
CUHPR: 6/10

Lemongrass & Cajeput
I think this soap is a sleeper. I don't hear much about it and it is actually one of my favorite scents by Stirling. This scent is fresh! With a capital F (so I guess that would make it Fresh actually and not fresh)!
A very clean, fresh and crisp scent. I feel clean just sniffing it. If I run late some morning I may just smell it and skip the shower. That clean and crisp.
I have no idea what lemongrass smells like. Don't you eat that as well? But if it smells like this soap then lemongrass is an awesome scent.
CUHPR: 8/10

And no, you can't have the soaps I didn't like. I'm gonna melt them down and make soap toy soldiers out of them.

0 338
 03-13-2014, 05:45 PM
User Info
You must must must try Ozark

3 254
 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM
User Info
(03-13-2014, 05:45 PM)jddssc121 Wrote: You must must must try Ozark

How would you describe it?

0 338
 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM
User Info
Smells like the mountains. Not heavy pinesol. Just Mountains. Tis intoxicating.

3 254
 03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
User Info
I like Sharp Dressed Man also. I use it in the bath soap version.

0 303
 03-13-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
Great, informative and funny review! Biggrin

83 21,109
 03-13-2014, 09:42 PM
User Info
Nice review! You enticed me to try Lemongrass & Cajeput.

47 1,270
 03-14-2014, 03:36 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Excellent review. I like your descriptions, humorous and to the point.
I love the barbershop scent. Also one of my favorites is Stirling One. Same experience as you had with sharp dressed man. Can't stop smelling it Smile

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

10 486
 03-14-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
(03-13-2014, 09:42 PM)kentclark Wrote: Nice review! You enticed me to try Lemongrass & Cajeput.

+1 as I really enjoy Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus and I haven't seen anyone else make this scent, unfortunately!

83 21,109
 03-14-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
Rod's Bay Rum is the perfect blend of Krampert's and Captain's Choice, good stuff.

1 131
 03-14-2014, 09:33 AM
User Info
(03-14-2014, 03:36 AM)Fab Wrote: Same experience as you had with sharp dressed man. Can't stop smelling it Smile

I believe SDM to be fragrance crack. It's amazing.
Also, thanks for keeping blackberry alive sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(03-14-2014, 09:23 AM)Loudoun Wrote: Rod's Bay Rum is the perfect blend of Krampert's and Captain's Choice, good stuff.

That's really sad to hear as that may just sediment my fear that I am truly a BayRum-hater.

(03-14-2014, 07:46 AM)celestino Wrote:
(03-13-2014, 09:42 PM)kentclark Wrote: Nice review! You enticed me to try Lemongrass & Cajeput.

+1 as I really enjoy Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus and I haven't seen anyone else make this scent, unfortunately!

You really should. It's a great scent. I think it should be referred to as phresh - that's how fresh it is. It's pretty phat.

0 338
 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
User Info
Thanks and if you haven't tried Mike's, you really should to see how it compares to Rod's. Enjoy the soap! Smile

83 21,109
 03-14-2014, 10:49 AM
User Info
And you won't need to send celestino bottles of your water to "experiment" for you! Wink (j/k celestino)

1 131
 03-23-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
My favorite Stirling to date is the Orange Chill. Smells great and gives an awesome menthol feel.

95 193
 03-27-2014, 05:59 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Being a menthol lover I'm freaked out over the Glacial which is so cold that it feels like it could give your face freezer-burn. No other soap on Planet Earth has that strong a menthol effect except Yeti Snot. Another strongly-mentholated Stirling soap is the MITA.

3 2,638
 03-28-2014, 07:32 AM
User Info
Thanks for the reviews.

I love the grapefruit scent. I don't think it gets enough love.

I know it sounds weird, but it's incredibly refreshing. Anybody who likes any kind of citrus scent owes it to himself to get a sample of the grapefruit and give it a go.

2 1,547
 04-06-2014, 09:52 AM
User Info
I've been wanting to try some Stirling's and for the price it's quite hard not to get 5-10 soaps Smile

0 31