03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
As of today I am down to only Semogue Boars and Badgers except for one lone Omega Mighty Midget. I tried Simpson, Vulfix, Vie Long to name a few and none, for me, match Semogue in price and performance. I am drawn to their knots and their real, genuine wood handles. No plastic or "turned resin", "faux ivory" handles....just good wood in ash, oak, beech, and cherry although I do have one acrylic handle 830 brush (wanted to try the 1305 knot in a shorter handle). For folks looking for a great brush at a value price, please look to Semogue. Also, their LEs are fantastic - unique knots in unique handles. Leon and the folks at Semogue are wonderful to deal with.

21 751
 03-14-2014, 05:16 PM
User Info
I haven't gone as far as you, but I am down to only Semogue for boars. With the SOC and 2011 LE boars, I'm all set.

48 5,730
 03-14-2014, 06:01 PM
User Info
i like your take in regards to handles: i highly appreciate when materials are sincere and are what they look like. but manmade plastics are fine too as long as they don't strive to disguise.

human surroundings are completely filled with make-up - so plain materials have become very rare.

7 1,624
 03-14-2014, 09:04 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I couldn't agree more. With what I now have on it's way to me I'm around 50 Semogue Brushes. I like their boar, badger, and mixed. Their boar brushes are great values and I've started my friends into wet shaving with them. Their LE's are exciting and unique. I enjoy collecting Semogue' s because they offer such a broad range. I own several current stock brushes, LE's, Prototypes, and vintage. However, I think what I have is only a drop in the bucket.

45 3,955
 03-14-2014, 10:16 PM
User Info
(03-14-2014, 09:04 PM)tgutc Wrote: I couldn't agree more. With what I now have on it's way to me I'm around 50 Semogue Brushes. I like their boar, badger, and mixed. Their boar brushes are great values and I've started my friends into wet shaving with them. Their LE's are exciting and unique. I enjoy collecting Semogue' s because they offer such a broad range. I own several current stock brushes, LE's, Prototypes, and vintage. However, I think what I have is only a drop in the bucket.

a big drop that would be Biggrin

7 1,624
 03-17-2014, 01:33 AM
User Info
Is there any upcoming LE Brush organisation for Semogue ?

17 454
 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
What I don't like about Semogue brushes is the metal ring at the top of the handle. I think it makes their brushes look cheap, but, as is the case with most things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the ever applicable YMWV.

5 885
 03-21-2014, 12:56 AM
User Info
(03-17-2014, 11:06 AM)Rufus Wrote: What I don't like about Semogue brushes is the metal ring at the top of the handle. I think it makes their brushes look cheap

Sometimes that aluminium ring helps a lot
I have put it in some of mu brushes,makes the knot more tight if it has a tend to over-bloom
So there is no reason to put an O-ring.
I have a SOC and although is a nice Boar isn't something "excellent" as a brush
I'd like a badger from Semogue but the prices are very high.

0 353
 03-21-2014, 02:54 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-21-2014, 12:56 AM)Doryferon Wrote:
(03-17-2014, 11:06 AM)Rufus Wrote: What I don't like about Semogue brushes is the metal ring at the top of the handle. I think it makes their brushes look cheap

Sometimes that aluminium ring helps a lot
I have put it in some of mu brushes,makes the knot more tight if it has a tend to over-bloom
So there is no reason to put an O-ring.
I have a SOC and although is a nice Boar isn't something "excellent" as a brush
I'd like a badger from Semogue but the prices are very high.

Very high, in comparison to which brand? Rolleyes

26 4,896
 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
User Info
(03-21-2014, 02:54 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Very high, in comparison to which brand? Rolleyes

well the badger hair IS very high compared to the boar knots. I held out picking up a badger hair knot from semogue until the select silvertip and the new batch of 2-band hair came out (well except for the mixed brushes) and I have to say while i was completely satisfied with the boar brushes performance, I doubt that i will ever regret purchasing the new horn handle brushes as they perform exceptionally well, better than even my simpsons brushes. For less money even. Not to say that by any means The simpsons performance is lacking either.

9 149
 03-25-2014, 04:35 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I haven't tried many brands at all. Semogue was my second brush and until it broke in, I wasn't really sure that it was a brush for me. I have an SE olive wood on the way, and I hope to get a 2 band down the road. I'd give the other boar models a try, but I'm happy with my SOC so I decided to explore their badger models first.

When my preferences in terms of loft, size, density and hair grade become more defined, I'd likely consider a custom Shavemac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 03-25-2014, 05:26 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'm going to be ordering a Semogue HD Sivertip soon. Although I've put my aversion to the metal ring holding the knot in place behind me, I can't get comfortable with the wood (oak in this case) handles. They have one with an acrylic handle, which seems more practical than the wood, which I'll probably order unless I can be convinced that water and wood won't be a problem or a maintenance issue. I've only come across a few negative remarks about the wooden handles, but I'm still a sceptic...help me out.

5 885
 03-25-2014, 05:50 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-25-2014, 05:26 AM)Rufus Wrote: I'm going to be ordering a Semogue HD Sivertip soon. Although I've put my aversion to the metal ring holding the knot in place behind me, I can't get comfortable with the wood (oak in this case) handles. They have one with an acrylic handle, which seems more practical than the wood, which I'll probably order unless I can be convinced that water and wood won't be a problem or a maintenance issue. I've only come across a few negative remarks about the wooden handles, but I'm still a sceptic...help me out.

Please keep in mind the other Silvertip Semogue brushes do not have the same hair as the Selected Silvertip ones, such as the 2013LE.

Also, I've had absolutely no issues with my wooden handles brushes, Semogue or otherwise.

26 4,896
 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(03-25-2014, 05:26 AM)Rufus Wrote: They have one with an acrylic handle, which seems more practical than the wood, which I'll probably order unless I can be convinced that water and wood won't be a problem or a maintenance issue. I've only come across a few negative remarks about the wooden handles, but I'm still a sceptic...help me out.

FWIW - I have used wood handled brushes for decades and never had a problem with one. No special maintenance - just use and then leave to dry on counter after shave. Never had a crack or any other problem.

17 535
 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
User Info
I've also never had any issues with wooden handles.

82 21,056
 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I was introduced to Semogue in 2008 and it was a revelation.

I had tried brushes by most of the major companies, I had given up on silvertip, and I had settled on pure badger as my best option. When I became aware of Semogue, having lived in Brazil and Portugal, I had to at least try the Portuguese product. My first brush was a 2015 and it won me back to silvertip.

Today, my favorites are the 730, 2015, and 2040, all of which have the "same" loft. Being handmade, however, each one is somewhat unique. I like the standard line of brushes in standard density. None of the Semogue limited edition brushes have suited me, as the brushheads tend to be too rounded and too dense for my purposes.

Though I have settled on badger, the best boar brushes I have found are the Semogue 1305 and 830. Other boar lofts have felt like straw to me, but the special bristle in these two brushes is exceptional.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-25-2014, 03:12 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-25-2014, 02:48 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I was introduced to Semogue in 2008 and it was a revelation.

I had tried brushes by most of the major companies, I had given up on silvertip, and I had settled on pure badger as my best option. When I became aware of Semogue, having lived in Brazil and Portugal, I had to at least try the Portuguese product. My first brush was a 2015 and it won me back to silvertip.

Today, my favorites are the 730, 2015, and 2040, all of which have the "same" loft. Being handmade, however, each one is somewhat unique. I like the standard line of brushes in standard density. None of the Semogue limited edition brushes have suited me, as the brushheads tend to be too rounded and too dense for my purposes.

Though I have settled on badger, the best boar brushes I have found are the Semogue 1305 and 830. Other boar lofts have felt like straw to me, but the special bristle in these two brushes is exceptional.

- Murray

How about the SOC Badger, Murray? Smile

26 4,896
 03-25-2014, 04:51 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
(03-25-2014, 03:12 PM)TheMonk Wrote: How about the SOC Badger, Murray? Smile

Hello Monk -

I haven't actually tried any of the SOC boars. Semogue's boar brushes are truly fan-shaped, which is a plus, but the 1305 and 830 were already ideally sized for me and I didn't see any advantage in the purchase of a larger brush. So, I really don't know anything about the characteristics of the boar bristle in the SOC models.

- Murray

4 1,150