03-15-2014, 09:02 AM
User Info
http://www.bornsharp.com

A modern day SE razor that I just found online. I don't believe that it has been discussed here at all. If it has then I missed it and apologize for the redundancy. I'm perusing the site now so I haven't developed any opinions yet other than how much and when can I have one.

What do you think of this system? What would you pay for a blade & razor system said to last 2,000 shaves?

31 8,057
 03-15-2014, 09:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Interesting ... never heard of this until now.

It's neat to see new and innovative ideas being explored in the world of wet-shaving.
I guess time will tell, in terms of success of this particular product ...

102 18,653
 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I sent them an e-mail to find out price and avilability....guessing WAY more than a PILS...I could be wrong..

6 2,028
 03-15-2014, 09:37 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, while I am completely fascinated by the concept, don't you sort of get the feeling that it takes away from the very simplicity of what we love about SE and DE shaving? In all fairness, I have not yet gone onto the site but only watched the video you posted. How much could go wrong with that razor stand where the working parts are? How durable is it if accidentally dropped? Over five years, their claim of blade life, what would the difference in cost be between the Born Sharp and traditional blades? Lastly, and I speak only for myself here, while the razor looks intriguing, one of the things I like best about our hobby is switching out different razors (and to a lesser extent, blades) which is beside the point as far as the Born Sharp is concerned.

Again, I stress that as of this writing I have not looked at the site so some of my questions might be answered there. Thanks for showing us this as it shows that the whole idea of wet shaving remains more popular than many might think. Smile

2 11,211
 03-15-2014, 09:46 AM
User Info
Yes Freddy I agree that this won't be for many shaving enthusiasts who love rotations and find variety to be the spice of life. However, I'm mainly intrigued that this is even happening and love that it is a SE of course. I only know of two other razors that are trying to come to fruition which are SEs and now this one makes a third.

Yes, the base station with it's moving parts could easily be broken but personally I like this approach as it solves my main reasons for not wanting to try out straight razors. I even tried getting a Rolls Razor shave ready but that didn't happen. To me this is a modern day version of the Rolls and I'm super intrigued by it.

Price on this bad boy will most likely be the kicker.

31 8,057
 03-15-2014, 09:51 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Brian, thank you for posting this. This is the first I've heard of this. It's an interesting product that will appeal to some people. I doubt it will appeal to many forum members. Simply because trying new razors is part of the fun. I'm curios to know what a realistic shelf life per blade is. I doubt it's five years.

45 3,955
 03-15-2014, 11:52 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
I saw this posted on the Born Sharp site. While I don't usually pay attention to other wet shaving sites, I found this interesting. One of the posters even references the Nook. However, I have a hunch, based on what I read, that the original poster cut back quite a bit on what he originally wrote. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/wi...ade.35146/

2 11,211
 03-15-2014, 12:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I noticed that too Freddy. Appears to be a lot of apprehension about this razor.

178 23,809
 03-15-2014, 01:01 PM
User Info
I find the concept interesting. I bet it will attract a lot of gents who like gadgets. OK, what was I thinking... that'd be us! Biggrin

But I have blades and razors for life, and while I find the idea interesting, how many lifetimes of shaves do I actually need?

But if I was a young person I'd definitely look into it. Heck, I'm an old fart and I still find it interesting. I'm very interested in hearing how the shave is from future users of the razor.

It doesn't look like much of a travel razor though.

32 6,460
 03-15-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
Looks like they think it is a $500 razor. No thanks, but I do appreciate their ingenuity. Apparently they were trying to raise $100,000 but only garnered about $11,000. Not sure if this project is still even running. I'll update if I hear anything back from my email inquiry.

31 8,057
 03-15-2014, 02:13 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(03-15-2014, 01:07 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Looks like they think it is a $500 razor. No thanks, but I do appreciate their ingenuity. Apparently they were trying to raise $100,000 but only garnered about $11,000. Not sure if this project is still even running. I'll update if I hear anything back from my email inquiry.

I noticed that, too, Brian, and if true then that easily makes it a non-starter for me, interesting idea or not.

2 11,211
 03-15-2014, 03:16 PM
User Info
$470 for the razor, then $100 every five years to get a new blade installed.

I'm out!

http://shavingprofessionals.com/last-raz...-purchase/

0 836
 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(03-15-2014, 03:16 PM)5Savages Wrote: $470 for the razor, then $100 every five years to get a new blade installed.

I'm out!

http://shavingprofessionals.com/last-raz...-purchase/

And, keep in mind that if those blades and hones cannot be replaced as a same day service, which I sincerely doubt, one will be without the razor until replacements are made and shipped back, meaning one would still have to go back to his old way of shaving for the duration. Where is the savings and convenience in that?

2 11,211
 03-16-2014, 05:57 AM
User Info
All this with the Rolls review on the other thread got me hooked on the idea!
Already had a mighty fine Rolls shave earlier today.
Next step is getting the wedge blade in my Kampfe kit shave ready....
And i have that Empire set with the blades... time to hone them up to!

6 832
 03-16-2014, 06:31 PM
User Info
I'd heard about this a while ago and is interesting but I doubt it will get off the ground. I have a hard time believing the product will work as advertised. I also think the price is going to be too high for them to sell enough units to sustain the company. How many people are going to pay $400-500 for a razor, even if it does last four or five years?

15 771
 03-16-2014, 07:26 PM
User Info
(03-16-2014, 06:31 PM)guildx500 Wrote: I'd heard about this a while ago and is interesting but I doubt it will get off the ground. I have a hard time believing the product will work as advertised. I also think the price is going to be too high for them to sell enough units to sustain the company. How many people are going to pay $400-500 for a razor, even if it does last four or five years?

+1 Interesting idea, though.

83 21,081
 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
This may account for why they've managed to raise only a tenth of what they needed. Too many are poking holes through the need for such an item and there aren't enough technology oriented wet shavers to appreciate and buy it.

2 11,211
 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I wanted to hate it, but I have to admit it's worth further investigation...

With: "Adjustable blade exposure, Adjustable sharpness, Interchangeable handles, Blade longevity, Self sterilising and Stainless steel construction", the only downside really seems to be initial investment price.

99 18,011
 03-16-2014, 09:03 PM
User Info
Yikes! $500!? It's got to be cost effective for it to fly.

Good thing I have blades for life and then some.

32 6,460
 03-17-2014, 03:34 AM
User Info
Many on this and other forums have purchased $200+ razors, so I think several of us would try this.
I use a Cobra ~98% of the time as it is, so I can see using something like this most of the time, with the occasional rotation of one of my other razors.
Maybe not at $500, but at $200-$300, with good positive reviews, yes.
With that being said, I have not liked any adjustable I have ever tried, so for that alone, maybe not, but, this one may be different.

31 1,800