03-15-2014, 02:54 PM
User Info
I'm still looking for high quality soaps to add to my growing soap collection.

I found out my skin likes a lot of the soaps, that used to give me skin irritation or burn - after I started using a new skin cream and have stopped using a certain facial soap.
I also like that you can buy loads of soaps, and not having to thinkg about shelf life.....

I own 50+ creams, and they will deterioate over time - in a matter of 3-5 yars probably. Soaps will not, especially the triple milled soaps and soaps like martin de Candre have 10+ years of shelf life.

Soaps currently in my little collection:

Martin de Candre Fougere
Martin de Candre Original
Martin De Candre Unscented
Tabac Stick
TOBS Jermyn Street
DR Harris Lavender
DR Harris Almond
DR Harris Arlington
DR Harris Windsor
MWF

Thinking about Valobra in the new bowl next.

All my soaps needs to be in bowls - and preferably made by known brands, not that much into Artisan soaps, even though MDC is considered an artisan brand it's renowned and established as a high class soap brand.

The LPL soap could be next on my list - but it's a bit too much Artisan yet for my taste......I don't like the idea of my shaving soap is made by a John Doe who is mixing a lot of stuff in a pot and then home bakes it in his kitchen. Sorry - just not my cup of tea Tongue

24 6,019
 03-15-2014, 03:26 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
The new Valobra pucks will treat you well, Claus. I would put the following on your list to try:
  • Institut Karite
  • Czech & Speake (either scent)
  • Haslinger (any scent)
  • Palmolive stick
  • Wilkinson's Sword stick
  • Provence Sante

0 1,137
 03-15-2014, 03:50 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
+1 to Valobra. I'm finding the patchouly to be my favorite Biggrin

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

34 1,627
 03-15-2014, 04:10 PM
User Info
Czech & Speake definitely, and if you can find the really nice (but really expensive) anodized aluminum dish even better. These soaps, made by Valobra, are outstanding performers with awesome scents.

15 222
 03-15-2014, 04:19 PM
User Info
Lpl is the most unique soap I have tried. A must try.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 344
 03-15-2014, 04:27 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
From the top of my head, I'd definitely try:

- DR Harris - Marlborough
- C&E - Nomad
- Le Père Lucien
- Jabonman - Sandalwood, Tierra Humeda, Brisa de Oriente, Ylang-Ylang Patchouli Orange, etc.
- TFS - Barbe Rosse
- Boellis Panama 1924
- Floris - Santal
- Penhaligon's - Sartorial and Blenheim Bouquet

Of course it also depends on what kind of scents you enjoy.

Cheers.

26 4,953
 03-15-2014, 05:00 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Claus,
The Sartorial is a nice product. Got some Boellis Panama on order, have you tried Cella-it's impressive. The LA Shaving Soap Fougere is breaking in very well for me too-reminds me of the consistency seen from my lathers with MWF and MdC.

The soap I'm considering adding to my rotation is 3P-anyone have thoughts on that one? Mike's never worked for me (hard water in Chicago), and I hear great things about his soap.

19 753
 03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
For non-artisan, +1 on the C&S

Also AoS sandalwood. I have the old formula. Some folks say the new formula is as good. I don't have personal experience towith the new.

60 1,626
 03-15-2014, 06:56 PM
User Info
Claus, I'd suggest buying Penhaligon's Sartorial and Blenheim Bouquet. They are both excellent. The wooden bowl is nice, too.

52 476
 03-15-2014, 07:14 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I know you wanna pay, so get to the good stuff ASAP, knowing that about you, you'll be buying it eventually Biggrin
Floris, Penhaligon's, Creed, Czech & Speake

88 4,233
 03-15-2014, 08:10 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Without tallow - Synergy soaps are superb and nicely scented.

With Tallow - Strop Shoppe SPECIAL editions; Not Limited edition or original formula. (If interested, try ShaveNation rather than the Strop Shoppe website - great soap, poor customer service.)

+1 for Institut karite
RazoRock Eucalyptus 888 and/or King Louis Lavender.

1 796
 03-15-2014, 08:40 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(03-15-2014, 08:10 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: Without tallow - Synergy soaps are superb and nicely scented.

With Tallow - Strop Shoppe SPECIAL editions; Not Limited edition or original formula. (If interested, try ShaveNation rather than the Strop Shoppe website - great soap, poor customer service.)

+1 for Institut karite
RazoRock Eucalyptus 888 and/or King Louis Lavender.

+1 on the above soaps. Strop Shoppe Special Edition Baker Street and Barber Shoppe are outstanding. I'd also add Mike's, any scent, as well as Barrister & Mann.

38 5,198
 03-15-2014, 10:13 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
definitely Valobra… either unscented or patchouly, IMO. I don't care that much for the cologne or fougere scents by Valobra.
Czech & Speake will be just as good, but with better scents, but will cost a bit more, if that matters.

Also, as mentioned, the AOS vegan soaps are PHENOMENAL. I don't see a lot of people talking about them at SN here (though I am new here), but they NEED to be checked out. They are AS GOOD as the old tallow version, but just an entirely different soap. The old tallow version are old-school, fine ingredients made with love. The new ones are just technical genius (P&G dollars), incredibly protective and extremely easy to lather EVERY time. It's actually impossible not to have a perfect shave with AOS products, IMO… and the soaps are probably their best product of many excellent ones.

62 3,008
 03-16-2014, 01:34 AM
User Info
L'Occitane Cade has a fresh Juniper scent, very nice for Spring and Summer.

23 475
 03-16-2014, 04:39 AM
User Info
The triple milled tallow based Bowling Green soaps are excellent and compare (almost) to MWF.

122 13,213
 03-16-2014, 05:00 AM
User Info
Stroppe Shoppe for definate. I think you will pass it by as it's an Artisan soap. Stroppe Shoppe's a top performer for me. I've tried many soaps and this is high end stuff in lather quality.

0 875
 03-16-2014, 05:06 AM
User Info
In My limited experience with some of the artisan soaps, I find them superior. I would not be so quick to just write off John doe.

32 344
 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM
User Info
Thanks guys Smile

I think I'm going for these two soaps next:

Penhaligon Sartorial
Czech & Speak Oxford & Cambridge in wood bowl

Does anyone know of an onlien shop that sells Creed Original Vetiver Soap, besides Creeds own webshop ?

(03-16-2014, 05:06 AM)fbones24 Wrote: In My limited experience with some of the artisan soaps, I find them superior. I would not be so quick to just write off John doe.

You may be very right, I just have this OCD about home people cooking soap, and not caring one bit about presentation.

I went into traditional wetshaving because I like the craftmanship of a DE razor, the quality feel of a badger brush - the quality of shaving creams and soaps and I have bought my fair share of creams in tubes.

I'm done with that. I want quality - also in the way the product presents itself. I can't take a cream seriously, when it's only presented in a tube that makes me think of toothpaste, when I see it.
Same with artisan soaps - I can't take them seriously, if they don't make a proper way of presenting the product to the consumer.
It's as simple as that.

I'm slowly getting rid of all my shaving creams in tubes - I will only keep a few of the best of best tubes for travel purpose - and they will always be kept in my toilet bag.
It's my goal to up the way my shaving articles presents themselves - I'm maximizing quality of the procuct and the presentation of my shaving gear, because it makes me feel better.

I avoid buying Razorock products because they use the same pot as prosaso soaps does. And as long as they don't exceeds Martin De Candre quality wise, I don't want them in my collection.
I hate these weird click on lids......this can be done in a better way without breaking the bank.

24 6,019
 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM
User Info
Floris

0 338
 03-16-2014, 03:07 PM
User Info
Boellis Panama

31 8,058