03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
User Info
I just started work at the best Children's hospital in the country today. while it seems that I'll like it, it's very close to my house, has good growth and has great benefits, I've also been interviewing with a top college in the country as well, for 2 different positions.

am I rude for still interviewing for jobs that I'd probably end up preferring/taking if the compensation and benefits were comparable to my current job that I just started today? the new job location is literally a block or 2 from my current work location so there's no difference there, which I absolutely love.

I've asked friends and they said that they'd do whatever is best for them as a company will do what's best for them in a similar situation.

I definitely do not like quitting my current job for a new position shortly after I just started my new gig.

opinions?

40 5,830
 03-17-2014, 06:00 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
In a similar job close by word does travel..if your skills are so much in demand that you choose whom and when you work you are indeed unique and very fortunate...at some point you make your move and make the most of your situation....kind of like getting married....best of luck to you.

6 2,023
 03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
User Info
Andrew, you have to really decide what brings you joy in your work.
The way you phrased things, it seems you would prefer the other job to your current one even though you haven't given the latter any time to see how it would work out.
Best of luck, my friend. Smile

83 21,077
 03-17-2014, 06:46 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Is the compensation much better at the prospective new job?

Are you happy in your current position?

Are you, or will you be, working with and for good people?

Which of the positions offers the best possibility for advancement?

How will each position directly affect your family life?

Only you can answer these, and other questions. All the very best to you with whatever path you choose to follow.

2 11,211
 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
PM incoming.

0 1,137
 03-18-2014, 06:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All good advise above Andrew.

I use to always ask the where question. Where do I want to be in five years.

Job security to me is very important. Work environment and colleagues are also very important. You have to feel good about going to work and really enjoy what you are doing.

Remember, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Good luck

178 23,809
 03-18-2014, 03:29 PM
User Info
(03-17-2014, 06:00 PM)Harvey Wrote: In a similar job close by word does travel..if your skills are so much in demand that you choose whom and when you work you are indeed unique and very fortunate...at some point you make your move and make the most of your situation....kind of like getting married....best of luck to you.

no doubt, and I realize that I may burn a bridge, unfortunately.

(03-17-2014, 06:35 PM)celestino Wrote: Andrew, you have to really decide what brings you joy in your work.
The way you phrased things, it seems you would prefer the other job to your current one even though you haven't given the latter any time to see how it would work out.
Best of luck, my friend. Smile

indeed, and while I've never been in a position of having just started working at a new job and still interviewing for other jobs I applied for, it's something I'm willing to do to find the ultimate fit.

(03-17-2014, 06:46 PM)freddy Wrote: Is the compensation much better at the prospective new job?

Are you happy in your current position?

Are you, or will you be, working with and for good people?

Which of the positions offers the best possibility for advancement?

How will each position directly affect your family life?

Only you can answer these, and other questions. All the very best to you with whatever path you choose to follow.

1- The compensation, from the numbers they have on their site, without any negotiations, is pretty close. the main difference is that the hospital is hourly while the university is salary.

2- While I've only been at my new job for 2 days, it seems like it'll be something I'd eventually enjoy, if I could move to a better shift where I'll have more interactions with my direct co-workers and hospital staff.

3- I believe so, in both situations: current and future. If I wasn't, I'd leave and go elsewhere.

4- the university has more growth than the hospital I'm currently working at and then the ultimate benefit of the free education and/or reduced cost education for myself, my spouse and my children (when I do have kids) which is very hard to pass up when we're talking about the cost to attend 1 of the better universities in the nation.

5- the university job is a steady 8-5 am, m-f position with some minor OT work (OT is not paid out since it's a salary position) and some on-call work (which I'm fine with and did for the past 5 years at my old job), while my hospital position will be a 11p-7:30 am m-f position, once I get trained on all of the systems and I'm comfortable with the hospital layout.

I'm not too thrilled with the hospital hours and I'd be working solo on the 3rd shift..something that can make for an incredibly boring time and a crappy social life, imho.

if the university does offer me a position, I'm comfortable that I'd move on.

(03-17-2014, 07:17 PM)Elendil Wrote: PM incoming.

thanks!

(03-18-2014, 06:43 AM)Johnny Wrote: All good advise above Andrew.

I use to always ask the where question. Where do I want to be in five years.

Job security to me is very important. Work environment and colleagues are also very important. You have to feel good about going to work and really enjoy what you are doing.

Remember, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Good luck

indeed. I think both jobs have good job security as people will always need medical care and more education.

40 5,830
 03-18-2014, 03:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Just for reasons 4 & 5 listed above I would choose the University job.

178 23,809
 03-18-2014, 03:51 PM
User Info
(03-18-2014, 03:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: Just for reasons 4 & 5 listed above I would choose the University job.

that's my feeling as well.

40 5,830
 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-18-2014, 03:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: Just for reasons 4 & 5 listed above I would choose the University job.

(03-18-2014, 03:51 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

that's my feeling as well.
Andrew, it seems as if you have thought this through and are still leaning towards the University job. Since both seem somewhat equal in other aspects, go with your gut feeling. All best wishes with whatever you decide. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 03-18-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
Which would be the hardest to get back into? If you left the hospital would the job you left come open again. Same with the college. If you didn't take the job would there be a similar one you could reapply for with in the near future. If the college job wouldn't be available for years into the future then you might want to take it. But if there's going to be ongoing openings that you can apply for, then take a pass and stay at the hospital.
Make sense??

5 410
 03-18-2014, 07:28 PM
User Info
Andrew, it seems like you have already decided with the overwhelming advantages offered at the university! Best of luck getting the job, my friend! Biggrin

83 21,077
 03-18-2014, 10:03 PM
User Info
You may burn a bridge, but do it the right way and possibly not.

I agree... #4 & 5 are powerful arguments. Any employer in their right mind knows that the graveyard shift really screws with a persons health and personal life.

Where I worked we were paid a premium to cover that shift. It didn't make it worth it, but it was recognition of the knowledge of what I just wrote.

32 6,459
 03-19-2014, 11:38 AM
User Info
Just for reason #5, I'd go with the university job. That's a huge reason.

9 3,036
 03-20-2014, 03:20 AM
User Info
A problem I'm now facing is being able to even go on these additional interviews with said university - and the guy keeps trying to get me to come in so I can't keep him hanging with trying to find a time that works for us both before he simply moves on. my current hours are such that I can't break away for an hour to continue interviewing, which is a problem for me.

also, I found out a few days ago that not only will I be working 3rd shift, but I'll also be working alone...

sigh.

I'm going to call my old boss today to see if he'll let me come back for a few months while they find a replacement for my old position & to train that person properly.

Sad

40 5,830
 03-20-2014, 09:27 AM
User Info
You're certainly not rude for considering other opportunities. Ultimately it's your decision to stay with or leave your current employer. Your current employer may certainly be ticked off but ultimately it's up to you to decide.

One thing I would caution against is a lot of job hopping. If I see a resume that shows someone has frequently changed jobs many times without staying anywhere for a reasonable amount of time, I throw it straight in the garbage. It's just not worth my time to interview someone who's likely to leave within months. Changing a job every now and then is no problem but changing many times within a short period of time can be detrimental.

19 881
 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM
User Info
Best of luck to you, Andrew!

83 21,077
 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
Tell your employer you have some personal business to attend to, this is truthful.

I too would select the University position.

1 239
 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM
User Info
(03-20-2014, 09:27 AM)TSEvangelist Wrote: You're certainly not rude for considering other opportunities. Ultimately it's your decision to stay with or leave your current employer. Your current employer may certainly be ticked off but ultimately it's up to you to decide.

One thing I would caution against is a lot of job hopping. If I see a resume that shows someone has frequently changed jobs many times without staying anywhere for a reasonable amount of time, I throw it straight in the garbage. It's just not worth my time to interview someone who's likely to leave within months. Changing a job every now and then is no problem but changing many times within a short period of time can be detrimental.

prior to my current job, I was with my company for 5 years.

I wouldn't even list my time at my current job if I decide to leave soon; it's simply not worth it.

(03-21-2014, 09:40 AM)celestino Wrote: Best of luck to you, Andrew!

thank you.

(03-21-2014, 02:42 PM)Deco Wrote: Tell your employer you have some personal business to attend to, this is truthful.

I too would select the University position.

I'm thinking of using the 'I have a doctor's appointment excuse'. I can't take off any days before 90 days as that's my probationary period, but my boss did say that since I'm an hourly employee, I could just make up the time lost if I need to visit a doctor.

40 5,830
 03-21-2014, 05:53 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Wow, you do have a dilemma on your hands, but it's the kind of problem most would be thrilled to have. I understand the perception that interviewing while just starting a new job looks like you won't be a loyal employee, but at the end of the day (as you reflect on your work day) job satisfaction is a pretty important thing.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision. The truth about your choice is that there is no downside whichever way you go. Again, a very envious position to be in!

27 860