05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1160933.jpg]

I think that I have should titled this thread : Simpson Duke 3 brush : the best all around brush out there?,since Im convince now that this brush could be the one that suits better peoples different likes and taste on a brush.

I must admit that I sold mine since I do prefer smaller knots (under 23mm most of the time) but I do recognize that this brush,for its price,offers the best quality our there with no shadow of a doubt,with the Semogue SOC two band badger brush.

[Image: P1160934.jpg]

This is a SUPERBLY well made shaving brush.Its handle its sturdy and well balance,maybe a little bit short for people who have large hands,but ergonomic enough to hold it with no problems at all.

The black lettering fade away with use and some of the Simpson stickers fall off too,but I never have experienced that myself in any of the Simpson brushes I have tried (the stickers falling off).

[Image: P1160936.jpg]

This brush is extremely well packed with best badger hair.For many(and Im into that category) best badger hair is one of the best badger hair types that we can fid out there.I will consider this kind of hair superior to what other brands offers in silvertip/super badger hair,as well as more economical too.If you wanna understand better the differences and characteristics of each type of badger hair,read this article wrote by Mr Gary Young (enough said ) : Badger Hair Grades and Characterictics

[Image: P1160935.jpg]

So we have a brush with has a :
  • 25mm knot
  • Around 51/52 mm loft
  • A total height of 105 mm
  • And its extremely well packed with best badger hair

So,what are the "benefits" of it and what does it makes it the best all around performer over there? Well,I would say that its "balance",but of course,this could be also determined by personal preferences too.

[Image: P1190920.jpg]

Then,why do I feel that this brush is the best all around brush out there?

1.This brush performs really well with face lathering and bowl lathering.Its hard to find a brush which performs exactly the same with both task ,since many perform better with face lathering than bowl lathering,or the other way around,but the Duke 3 performs the same whether we face lather or we bowl lather.Since its really packed with hair, it doesnt "bloom" too much once its wet,so it makes face lathering pleasant.Also,even when its packed whit so much hair,keeps a good flow,so its makes it suitable for bowl lathering.

2.Tackles hard soaps (well,soaps in general) with an amazing easiness.Its impossible not to make a good lather from any soap,even the most "difficult" ones, with this brush.You only have to load the brush properly (for at least,30 seconds) and he will reward you with tons of lather.Also its not a lather hog,like other super dense hair shaving brushes out there are (and I can think of a half dozen of those lather hogs brushes that I have tried right now).

3.With creams the same than with soaps,and since its not a lather hog like other brushes,you have to be careful with the quantity of cream that you use,unless you want to shave your whole neighborhood too.

4.Its price : you can find this brush for around 115 dollars.A Simpson Chubby 1 best badger cost around 125 dollars (smaller knot and loft) and a Chubby 2 best badger cost around 155 dollars (bigger knot and sometimes same loft).Both of the Chubbies are super packed to the extreme of badger hair,thats true,but we pass from a 23 mm knot and 47 loft brush to a 27 mm loft and 52mm loft brush.Some people have named this brush the Chubby 1.5 and I can see why.If we add that its price its cheaper (maybe not being so extremely super packed with badger hair) we have a winner here.And if we compare it with other brushes from other brands,like shavemac D01 (and I really like the shavemacs!) or Thaters Silvertips with the same measures/size ,its "victory" is even more clear,since its cheaper than any of those brushes and offers basically the same.

[Image: P1160937.jpg]

For all these reasons,the Duke 3 is,for me,the best all around brush out there.If you are looking for a quality badger brush,no spending too much money on it,or if you are looking for only one brush ( Biggrin ) , the Duke 3 could be the brush you are looking for.

86 7,123
 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Thank you Teiste. Great review. I've been looking at this (or Duke 2) so I may check it out sometime.

0 353
 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
Teiste,

That's a great review of a great brush. My tastes made me go for a Chubby 1, but the Duke 3 is also just about the perfect brush, and the price is right.

Like you, I'd put in a word for the SOC Badger as well. As you say, these brushes will satisfy most people.

37 1,731
 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM
  • seixi
  • Spain
User Info
Great review, great brush! I agree is one of the best all-around brushes out there. Though, I would say it is more usual, at least in recently bought units, to see a loft in the 49-50 range...

It's one of those purchases you can advise without any doubt!

0 42
 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
I have a Duke 3 and fully concur!

0 295
 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
Excellent review and I fully agree. It's not quite as dense as the Chubby line, but it pays dividends with its excellent flow through. It trully is a "one size fits all" for my variety of soaps, creams, and lathering techniques.

0 221
 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-04-2012, 11:02 AM)Teiste Wrote: I think that I have should titled this thread : Simpson Duke 3 brush : the best all around brush out there?,since Im convince now that this brush could be the one that suits better peoples different likes and taste on a brush.

Hi Teiste

Very! good review Thumbsup

Ok! that's it, The Duke 3 in Best Badger now moved to the top of my Simpsons Shaving Brush Wish List (contains 4 brushes).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-04-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
i had one on order, cancelled and am now reconsidering.

8 2,718
 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-04-2012, 01:42 PM)brucered Wrote: i had one on order, cancelled and am now reconsidering.

Hi Bruce

Order it, if you don't like I'll buy it off you (for a big fat discount of course) Wink 24 Wink

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
User Info
You know, after having read this review, I might have to get one of these.

0 214
 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
User Info
That is an outstanding review, Teiste!
I also have a Duke 3 (and a SOC badger as well) and I fully agree with Teiste. I also agree with the similarities between those two models - both are extremely versatile brushes. The backbone and the softness of tips are very similar. The only drawback for me (with the Duke 3) is the handle size - I would prefer a slightly bigger handle, 'cause I usually bowl-lather. And that's where the SOC badger gets a small advantage to me - the handle of the SOC is more ergonomic than the one of the Duke.

But I like, use and I'm happy to have both of them! Biggrin

My Duke 3 is slightly different than the one described by Teiste; my unit has a 24mm knot and a 50mm loft - and I find those knot measures the ideal ones for me.Cool

2 5,527
 05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste, excellent review and I could not agree more. I had a Duke 2 and sold it, which was a big mistake on my part. Like Emanuel I like a little larger handle so I will probable order a Simpsons 57 in the near future.

The best badger Simpsons uses is second to none.

Thanks

173 23,502
 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
Nice review, Tieste!

75 20,883
 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
I had a Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger, an excellent brush, but unfortunately a chronic shedder. This didn't affect it's performance, as it had a very densely packed knot, but it was very aggravating.

After several sessions of shampooing and combing out the knot, it settled down to only loosing a few hairs every other shave or so. I gave it to my son-in-law, and it's doing a good job for him.

0 1,377
 05-04-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
The way I see it, if you face lather and like shorter lofts, buy a Duke. If you like more splay and like playing with a bowl, buy a 5x.

2 180
 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(05-04-2012, 07:41 PM)wknicholas Wrote: I had a Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger, an excellent brush, but unfortunately a chronic shedder. This didn't affect it's performance, as it had a very densely packed knot, but it was very aggravating.

After several sessions of shampooing and combing out the knot, it settled down to only loosing a few hairs every other shave or so. I gave it to my son-in-law, and it's doing a good job for him.

You must have gotten a bad brush which is rarely heard of with a Simpson. I've never had any shedding problems with my Duke 3 Best Badger and it has been my primary brush for three years. I used it every day for the first two years. At the time I didn't realize how good it was not having anything to compare it too. But now that I own 6 more brushes I'm starting to realize just how special it is.

45 3,955
 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM
User Info
Great review there.

It was my favourite brush, but then i got one in 2 band super and it's even better.

7 1,179
 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM
User Info
Great review, thanks !

I would say the same about my Duke#2.

I like medium size better and it is perfect. A great tool for bolw lathering cream, efficient and feeling great on the face. For face lathering my soaps, I like the Chubbies better.

How would you compare the Duke to the Colonel ?
I see many people leaning toward the Colonel due to its price (it is commonly defined as the better value for money). Yet, suspect that it does not have the perfect balance term of versatility and face fell the Duke provides.

0 42
 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM
User Info
It's our best selling brush - there must be a reason Cool

1 630
 05-05-2012, 01:19 AM
User Info
Excellent review!!
Thank you
Jim

0 475