03-18-2014, 06:11 AM
User Info
Hello Everyone,
This is Phil's wife Mary Lou. I was wondering if anyone out there has had kidney stones removed by ureteroscopy? I currently have an 8mm kidney stone lodged in my ureter and 8 other stones in my kidneys.Sad I was hospitalized over the weekend in serious pain and they had to put in a stent. I am going back on Thursday for the ureteroscopy. They told me the stone is so big they will have to blast it with a laser first to get it out. I am not afraid of the procedure itself because I will be knocked out. I am just wondering what the recovery will be like.
I have had a temp of 101 since the first procedure and have been basically wiped out. They say the procedure will last about 40 minutes and it will be outpatient. I was pretty much out of it on the morphine, so I didn't think to ask about the recovery. Phil was pretty worried about me as I had several days of severe pain and nausea and apparently looked like death warmed over (an appropriate look for how I was feeling at the time), so he didn't think to ask either. Any advice or information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mary Lou

7 363
 03-18-2014, 06:43 AM
User Info
Not from personal experience but I had a friend that suffered from Kidney stones and he went through very unpleasant episodes from year to year. I would get a second opinion asap on what is the best solution. The very best of luck.

134 13,577
 03-18-2014, 07:11 AM
User Info
Hi Mary Lou, sorry about your illness. I would recommend you call the office of the urologist treating you to get the definitive answer.

Unofficial medical opinion: recovery is usually quick after ureteroscopy. Plan on a couple hours time for them to see you urinate and recover from the medicine.

My words are not actionable nor a replacement for medical advice from the practitioners aware of your personal condition and treating you.

Best wishes on a speedy and complete recovery.

48 1,269
 03-18-2014, 07:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mary Lou, all the best to you.

My sister went through this last year. After they blast the stones they still have to pass, which is minor to what you are going through now. I believe my sister was back to 100% in two to three days.

180 24,753
 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Senior Member
  • Portland OR
User Info
I had it done. The procedure sounds a lot worse than it actually is.The only uncomfortable part is until they locate the stone. There is a strong prickling sensation in the small of your back. Once they locate the stone. They put you out and the next thing you know you are in recovery. They keep you until you can urinate then release you. They tell you that you can go back to work the next day. Don't do it take an extra day off. Incontinence can occur the next day for me it happened in the front of a lecture hall while lecturing 200 students. Good luck the worse is over. If you are on Vikadon try and get off it as soon as possible.

77 1,145
 03-18-2014, 07:27 AM
  • Snuff
  • Senior Member
  • Belgium
User Info
I know the feeling, I had only one problem after the procedure and that was excruciating pain, turned out that the pain pump was not working. I don't know how that works in the US but here the patient has a device where if he pushes a button the machine delivers a dose of pain killer (I was told morphine), but you can only push so many time of course. The device is only necessary the first day, after that no more pain.

Once that was replaced no more pain and recovery was very quick. Here they don't sedate you but give you a epidural, you don't feel a thing. Wish you a fast recovery!

29 1,495
 03-18-2014, 08:08 AM
User Info
While I can't comment on the medical procedure I have passed 7 stones so I understand your pain. I pray for comfort for you and that all goes well along with a quick recovery.

31 8,059
 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
All good luck to you, Mary Lou. My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery.

2 11,211
 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM
User Info
Thank you all for your responses! BarryLu, that must have been so embarrassing for you! Phil appreciates your tip because I was on the fence about taking Friday off. I thought if I felt good, I would go in. Friday is test day and my Special Education kids don't do as well when they have a substitute. I was in the hospital last Friday so this would be the second week of subs during testing time. Phil still wanted me to stay home. Since I teach 3rd and 4th grade students, becoming incontinent in school would be a catastrophe! I already called in to say I would be out another day!
I am going to see a Nephrologist to see if we can prevent these from reforming. I really don't want to go down this road again. I used to get them from my teens to early thirtys about every 4 years but they were small and I was always able to pass them. I haven't had one for about 20 years and never one that caused this much trouble. Thanks again for you help and good wishes!
Mary Lou

7 363
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)