03-19-2014, 11:22 AM
User Info
I have tried a few pre shave oils with no luck. The only one I have had any good results from is Castle Forbes pre shave, which is water based. I have WSO pre shave oil to try, I just haven't yet. What I don't like about the few pre shave oils I have tried, is the residue they leave in the sink and on the razor. Do all oils do this? Is there a correct way to apply the oil? How long do you let it soak on your face? What does your pre shave routine involve? What pre shave oil or soap do you use? Is pre shave oil necessary?

The products I have in line to try are Alt-Innsbruck Emulsion, D R Harris Pre Shave, The Village Barber Shave Oil, and RazorRock Professional Shave lube, which is water based. Has anyone tried these and what are your thoughts. I have read Johnny's review on The Village Barber.

37 146
 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My preference is the Village Barber which you have mentioned. I will say, it is not water based but it has not left a residue in my sink or on my razor and brushes.

I have used the Alt Innsbruck product in the past and although nourishing to the skin, it does leave a heavy residue on sinks, razors, and brushes. I sometimes use it as an after shave emulsion but that's about it.

175 23,752
 03-19-2014, 12:05 PM
User Info
You might like the Proraso pre-shave creams (Green and White).

They are effective, less messy and easier to apply than oil and, of course, far less oily. They both also contain menthol which I happen to enjoy. YMMV.

0 386
 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
At this point, having tried quite a few pre-shave products, I have a mixed impression of their value. While some of them seem to give my razor a smoother glide, it seem to me that some creams and soaps actually produce better lather if I don't use any pre-shave at all, especially oil. And some of the heavier products definitely leave a residue, while others don't. The three items I have continued to use off and on are MR Glyce soap, my own homemade oil concoction, and Shave Secret. Although I don't use it anymore, I would agree with Steve that the Proraso pre-shave cream is less messy, and its menthol, like that of Shave Secret, is nice.

206 12,189
 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM
User Info
(03-19-2014, 12:05 PM)branford Wrote: You might like the Proraso pre-shave creams (Green and White).

They are effective, less messy and easier to apply than oil and, of course, far less oily. They both also contain menthol which I happen to enjoy. YMMV.

+1 on Proraso - Solid product and does not leave any oily residue

0 150
 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I do like that menthol kick of the Proraso Pre Shave Cream. It also works great as an after shave product. I think they even advertise it that way.

175 23,752
 03-19-2014, 01:40 PM
User Info
I like the Proraso pre shave and Geo. F. Trumper's skin food. Both products facilitate a smooth barrier between blade and skin and neither leave residues.

39 3,875
 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
I would like to add that since I generally use Proraso White as my daily, dependable soap, I generally also use the White pre-shave (if i decide to use a pre-shave). The combined menthol of the two products is very refreshing.

However, I've used the Green soap/cream and pre-shave together, and would not recommend it unless your really, really like a strong menthol kick. Double the Green is too much of a good thing. YMMV.

0 386
 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I've used a few (Castle Forbes, Trumpers Skin Food), and I didn't experience anything better than what I got from a hot shower before the shave.

0 1,137
 03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-19-2014, 01:53 PM)branford Wrote: I would like to add that since I generally use Proraso White as my daily, dependable soap, I generally also use the White pre-shave (if i decide to use a pre-shave). The combined menthol of the two products is very refreshing.

However, I've used the Green soap/cream and pre-shave together, and would not recommend it unless your really, really like a strong menthol kick. Double the Green is too much of a good thing. YMMV.

For a refreshing shave on a cold winters morning I use the Proraso Green Pre/Post shave cream, then either the Proraso Green soap or my Santa Marie Novella, followed up with a cold water rinse, a very light coating of the Proraso Green Pre/Post cream, topped off with a generous splash of Floid Blue.

Now that will hit you like a ton of bricks when you go outside and the windchill is -20F. Very invigorating indeed.

175 23,752
 03-19-2014, 02:34 PM
User Info
(03-19-2014, 02:18 PM)Johnny Wrote: For a refreshing shave on a cold winters morning I use the Proraso Green Pre/Post shave cream, then either the Proraso Green soap or my Santa Marie Novella, followed up with a cold water rinse, a very light coating of the Proraso Green Pre/Post cream, topped off with a generous splash of Floid Blue.

Now that will hit you like a ton of bricks when you go outside and the windchill is -20F. Very invigorating indeed.

If that's you winter routine, dare I ask what you use in the summer?Biggrin

0 386
 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-19-2014, 02:34 PM)branford Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 02:18 PM)Johnny Wrote: For a refreshing shave on a cold winters morning I use the Proraso Green Pre/Post shave cream, then either the Proraso Green soap or my Santa Marie Novella, followed up with a cold water rinse, a very light coating of the Proraso Green Pre/Post cream, topped off with a generous splash of Floid Blue.

If that's you winter routine, dare I ask what you use in the summer?Biggrin

Oh that's not a routine, that's an every once in a while. I do use that quite often in the hot summer months.

175 23,752
 03-19-2014, 03:52 PM
User Info
I also use Proraso which like, but sometimes I don't want the menthol kick. Thanks Johnny for the heads up on the emulsion. That's one product I will cross off the list.

37 146
 03-19-2014, 04:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-19-2014, 03:52 PM)oasis man Wrote: I also use Proraso which like, but sometimes I don't want the menthol kick. Thanks Johnny for the heads up on the emulsion. That's one product I will cross off the list.

Quite alright. I don't think you would like the scent either. Smells nothing like that wonderful Alt Innsbruck after shave.

175 23,752
 03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
A pre shave is not necessary by any means. Personally, I find that when I use a pre shave like Proraso Green or White, 3P, and Vitos I get a slightly better shave. I apply it as soon as I finish my shower and leave it on for five minutes or less. If I see my face is drying I will splash on some water to prevent that. Unless I'm using a menthol cream or soap that goes well with the pre shave I actually rinse it off with warm to hot water and then immediately start face lathering. It seems I am in the minority when it comes to rinsing the pre shave off prior to the shave though.

45 3,955
 03-19-2014, 05:11 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I actually rub the Proraso Pre Shave in to a wet face. I find it soaks in/penetrates the skin better. Same when using it as an after shave product.

175 23,752
 03-19-2014, 05:15 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
It has been my experience that the best way to use the pre-shave oil is this. First do not use too much. Very little goes a long way. Having used PSO in the past you probably know this but it is the most common mistake made in my experience. Also I used to just let it sit on my face a very short time, under a minute and shave. It worked but I have since found if you leave it for a few minutes it soaks in to the skin leaving no oil on the skin surface yet still conditioning the skin and whiskers so you get the optimal benefit. BTW give the WSO a try It is formulated to absorb into the skin, not lay on top. The oils used and the filtration process taking the oil to 100% sterile state ensures maximum skin absorption.In fact one oil in particular acts as a carrier allowing the Distilled tallow based glycerin to even enter the pores, something that could not occur under normal circumstances.

9 429
 03-19-2014, 09:15 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've never found pre-shave products to add anything to my shave. I frequently rinse my beard while taking a hot shower, then scrub it using a hot wash cloth with whatever soap I'm using, usually Mike's Natural or Mystic Water, then leave my beard damp until I start to face lather. The quality of my lather and a fresh blade in a favorite razor make more of a difference for me than a pre-shave product.

38 5,030
 03-19-2014, 09:54 PM
User Info
Can anyone offer an opinion on the various Myrsol products as pre-shaves such as the Emulsion, Antesol, etc.?

The wonderful glass bottles look so delightfully "old school" and gentlemanly.

0 386
 03-19-2014, 10:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I tried the Myrsol Emulsion once as a pre shave but could tell no real benefit. However it is a great after shave balm.

175 23,752