03-19-2014, 12:29 PM
User Info
I've been using the hypo-allergenic soap that came with this......

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004L4EING/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1395260267&sr=1-3&pi=SX200_QL40

And I think it's time for a change. I find it hard to get good lather and tends to get dry and sticky fairly quick. Does anyone have their own experiences with the soap?

Something else I was wondering is, if you use a soap puck over and over does a hole eventually form in the middle? Anyone have a picture of their very well used puck?

And finally, when you have a soap you don't like, what do you do with it? Toss it? Use it as body soap?

0 10
 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM
User Info
If I have a soap which I don't like, I put it FS first, maybe someone likes it. If not sold, I use it as hand/body soap, or just use it for new brushes to break-in, to clean etc Smile

17 454
 03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Have you tried different amounts of water when making your lather? Sometimes one just has to experiment with that to get it right.

2 11,211
 03-19-2014, 12:49 PM
User Info
hi there and welcome to the shave nook. feel free to say hello in 'introductions' Smile

7 1,624
 03-19-2014, 12:51 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

I happen to like and use the VDH Luxury soap. I would try slowly adding more water to your lather and see if it improves.

My soap pucks sometimes develop a small hole in the middle when it's nearly used-up. It's never bothered me, and I just usually smush the last little bits of the soap into to middle to finish-it off. The "problem" also occurs to a lesser degree when using brushes with a fan knot rather than a pointier bulb knot.

0 386
 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM
User Info
I've tried different amount of water, more brush loading, less brush loading, it just doesn't seem to work on my face too well. It's a shame too because it smells fantastic.

Also, I face lather if that changes anything....

I'm also looking at new brushes, perhaps the one that came in the kit isn't as good as I'd like.

0 10
 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Hello and welcome to the Nook. When I find soap is getting sticky on my face I usually don't have enough water. You have to be careful though, too much water will result in too thin of a lather that doesn't provide adequate cushion. Like a lot of things it just comes with practice. Investing in a few more products wouldn't be a bad idea though. A tub of Proraso Green or White comes to mind. There soap is very easy to lather.

45 3,955