05-04-2012, 04:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1220565.jpg]

I have read so many good reviews about the Frank Shaving finest badger brushes (two band badger),that even when I had a "bad" experience with a best badger brush from this same company,I decided to give a try to this two band badger,fan shape, shaving brush.

This particular brush has the following specs :
  1. 21mm knot
  2. 50mm loft
  3. 105 mm total height

which makes it a medium size shaving brush.

[Image: P1220567.jpg]

The resin handle is well made,but not as sturdy as a Vulfix handle for sure.Also this handle is a "copy" of the Vulfix series 3374-377 ,which are really elegant and nice brushes.
The handle is ergonomic enough,but not one of my favorites either.
It came with a FS white lettering that fade off on its second use...

[Image: P1220566.jpg]

This brush has a 10% extra hair more than the regular bulb shape Frank Shaving brushes.I dont find this brush extremely well packed with hair,but good enough.The tips are more white than other two band badger hair brushes,like the Vie Longs or the Semogue SOC finest badger.Also has a nice fan shape,perfect if you like to facelathering.

[Image: P1220569.jpg]

As you can see in the picture,this brush "blooms" like a regular 3 band badger hair,and in fact,this brush behaves like a 3 band badger hair (super badger or silvertip),since it doesnt have a firm backbone,like most two band badger hair brushes (light years away from the Simpson,Morris and Forndran,Vie Long,shavemac,Semogue,The Golden Nib finest badger knots...) but has a flow like most of the 3 band badger hairs.In fact this brush behaves like a Vulfix 2234 super badger hair but with a little bit of more backbone,but no by far.

The first time I used this brush it was so disappointing,since I was expecting more firmness,but with more uses,this brush showed me that not everything is an extra firm backbone,but also flow.This brush has an excellent flow that with its extra soft tips,makes facelathering with it a pleasure once you get used to it.

It works with face lathering but also with bowl lathering,and when its better with creams (or at least,thats my impression) works also with hard soaps,like you can see in this video,where I use it with an Edwin Jagger/Muhle shaving soap :

Is the best brush on the market?Im afraid is not,but for its price is a decent alternative to some more expensive brushes,like the Edwin Jagger best or super badger ones.

86 7,123
 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM
User Info
Another great video, Tieste!

75 20,883
 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
User Info
Teiste, another fine review sir! My FS Finest is a bulb shape & has some different characteristics from yours. Mine has very little bloom to it and it retains a good bit of backbone. The tips are a lot softer than my SOC but I hope the SOC doesn't get that soft. I like the scrubby feel.

31 7,912
 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM
User Info
Omg... I saw the beginning for the clip at the bottom and I was thinking, "What in the world happened to that hand!? A terrible allergic reaction to something?!" Then I realized it was just lather. Well I knew it would happen someday. It's official. I lost it. A6

10 456
 05-05-2012, 09:53 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(05-05-2012, 12:10 AM)kooshman7 Wrote: Omg... I saw the beginning for the clip at the bottom and I was thinking, "What in the world happened to that hand!? A terrible allergic reaction to something?!" Then I realized it was just lather. Well I knew it would happen someday. It's official. I lost it. A6

Teiste's hands probably do look like that considering how often he tests brushes! Tongue

35 2,703