03-19-2014, 07:49 PM
User Info
I purchased this on a whim, as it's only in okay condition.

[Image: unindxB.jpg]

[Image: CNAWw4I.jpg]

Hopefully, it will still give a good shave regardless of the blob fix. I tested with a razor and it holds it down snugly. It makes it into the rotation Sunday, so we'll see.

0 54
 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM
User Info
This is intriguing as I've never heard of an open comb variant of this razor, not that that means anything. I'd love to hear if there is anything on this in Wait's compendium. BrianK???

31 8,056
 03-19-2014, 08:44 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
From what I was told those side holders aren't even necessary and you may just be able to pick that stuff off. Other than a barely bent tooth it should shave amazing! Love those wall mount kits!

58 1,312
 03-19-2014, 10:05 PM
User Info
Wow, I also have never heard of or seen an oc variant of the beloved nineteen fourteen. Very interesting!

Please let us know how it shaves.

67 2,171
 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM
User Info
That's interesting! I'm as curious about the open comb as anyone else.

Hoosier Trooper needs to see this. He might have some info, but he isn't on this forum.

As for the blobs... there are blade holders that are supposed to be in place of the blobs. The blade slides under the blade holder "tabs" (not seen here due to the blobs). But the blobs are there instead on this razor. That might be an issue, maybe not. You'll know when you load a blade. I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would do that (the blobs).

I'd like more pictures. Someone added the blobs, did they also modify the closed comb into an open comb? I'm not an expert, but I never heard of an open comb '14.

There is a huge (IMO) misunderstanding lately about open combs on the 'net. The latest take is that the open comb makes a razor more aggressive. Rather, the open comb is on razors that are inherently more aggressive through the geometry of the various aspects of the razor/blade relationship. This might be a modification of a (IMO) mid aggressive razor to turn it into something it simply can't become because of the inherent geometry.

More pictures might tell more.

32 6,445
 03-20-2014, 05:02 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I don't find open razors more aggressive at all. I do like the shave they give though and the way the lather 'evacuates' under the plate.

0 1,733
 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM
User Info
Here are some more pics for comparison... The "OC" w/ my other ER '14

[Image: lkgZ1UP.jpg][Image: W7DE8EM.jpg]
[Image: bSjh5wC.jpg][Image: 5Kf8JIo.jpg]

The heads are definitely from a different year. I observed the following,
1) The blade stops originate in different areas
2) the writing on the back is a different font
3) "Made in USA" absent from older (I'm guessing older)
4) "American Safety Razor Co. Inc" vs "American Safety Razor Corp."

The question still remains, was this originally an open comb or was it manipulated into this condition?

The bottom portion of each comb looks like they may have been shaved. I don't know. I'm leaning towards someone did this aftermarket, and I'm crossing my fingers on it. Giving me a great shave.

0 54
 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
The weldings look like a diy mod ... to me anyway..

6 808