03-20-2014, 07:08 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Anyone have experience with "Thai Stones" natural deodorants?

2 334
 03-20-2014, 10:39 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
There are several threads dedicated to this issue. Unless it specifically states "Potassium Alum" on the pack, you can be assured it's the harsher form of alum, a by-product of industry, ammonium alum. It will work, but a lot of the Thai 'natural crystals' may lead you to think of them as something completely benign. They may not hurt you: I have used one and it was ok, but play it safe, I say. here's the other, relevant thread:

http://shavenook.com/thread-alums-ain-t-alums--18786

0 1,760
 03-26-2014, 06:03 PM
User Info
i've been using a thai stick for a while and i love it.

95 193
 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM
User Info
(03-26-2014, 06:03 PM)nachum Wrote: i've been using a thai stick for a while and i love it.

I think they're the same as the crystal sticks, and yes they work great and last super long

5 90
 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM
User Info
I've been using a hunk of potassium alum instead of a deodorant for a little more than a year now - and it works great for me.

3 4,480
 04-05-2014, 07:01 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I use it on the weekends to give myself a break from the regular antiperspirants. It does not give me the longevity for 10-12 hour work days. Wish it held up longer for me as I despise the sticky junk I'm using.
Ed

59 4,486
 04-05-2014, 10:31 AM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
Yes I have used it all this past week on my business trip and have had very great success with it as long as you have clean pits from the get go! In other words you have to wash all of the bacteria away "before" you apply the stone and use it liberally! I also used it as an aftershave alum it works awesome. If you want to get away from all the chem stuff use it! it works.
(03-20-2014, 07:08 PM)Blue line Wrote: Anyone have experience with "Thai Stones" natural deodorants?

2 253
 05-11-2014, 05:53 PM
  • vikkktor
  • Pitesti Romania
User Info
I and my wife use potassium alum like antiperspirant, and work very, very good. It is amazing.

0 21
 05-11-2014, 05:58 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Be sure it's actually the potassium alum kind. Not the same as ammonium alum. A lot of 'natural crystals' are NOT potassium alum.

0 1,760
 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM
  • vikkktor
  • Pitesti Romania
User Info
Yes I now. My is only potassium alum, it says on the label.One stick 120 gr is 6,70us. I hope is natural.

0 21
 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Potassium alum tends to be naturally occurring, and is often just dug out of the ground.

Ammonium alum is an industrial composite by-product, often passed of or labelled as 'natural'. That, of course, can mean just about anything.

0 1,760
 05-12-2014, 05:09 AM
  • vikkktor
  • Pitesti Romania
User Info
Yes, I hope it is natural but the both, potassium alum and ammonium alum have aluminum.Potassium alum, potash alum, tawas, or potassium aluminum sulfate is a chemical compound: the potassium double sulfate of aluminium. Its chemical formula is KAl(SO4)2 and it is commonly found in its dodecahydrate form as KAl(SO4)2.12(H2O).
Potassium alum natural stone is KAl(SO4)2
Ammonium alum is (NH4)Al(SO4)2
Both have aluminum like we see. I use this and is very good, but I don,t no really if is good for body.
Like in ancient times. Romans drank wine in lead vessels and poisoning contracted.Saturnism. Although they knew it, the whole bulk drink good wine store in those vessels.

0 21
 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(05-12-2014, 05:09 AM)vikkktor Wrote: Yes, I hope it is natural but the both, potassium alum and ammonium alum have aluminum.Potassium alum, potash alum, tawas, or potassium aluminum sulfate is a chemical compound: the potassium double sulfate of aluminium. Its chemical formula is KAl(SO4)2 and it is commonly found in its dodecahydrate form as KAl(SO4)2.12(H2O).
Potassium alum natural stone is KAl(SO4)2
Ammonium alum is (NH4)Al(SO4)2
Both have aluminum like we see. I use this and is very good, but I don,t no really if is good for body.
Like in ancient times. Romans drank wine in lead vessels and poisoning contracted.Saturnism. Although they knew it, the whole bulk drink good wine store in those vessels.

As far as I am aware, there is no danger with using alum in either form. There was debate regarding the alum content of some underarm deodorants, however, there is no evidence to suggest that there is any increased cancer risk with the use of these products. There is even less risk with the use of a stone block. Had there been, it would have show up clearly, like the link between tobacco smoking and lung dance. For reference, the following:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/facts...isk/AP-Deo

0 1,760
 05-13-2014, 11:59 AM
User Info
FWIW, a few terms are being used as though they are interchangeable in this thread; antiperspirant and deodorant. Or am I reading something into it?

One prevents perspiration and the other stops odor. Maybe K alum prevents perspiration, but I never heard of it having that property. But it definitely is a deodorant. I think the deodorant claim is all that's been made for K alum. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

I always heard of an aluminum salt as having the antiperspirant properties.

32 6,458
 05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
User Info
I stand corrected. Wegian Warrior has a post above that stats it IS an anti-perspirant.

Cool! Yet another property of it that I hadn't a clue that it possessed.

Sorry gents!

32 6,458