03-21-2014, 08:38 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
So next weekend I will be venturing into the big city. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay, areas to avoid, things to do. I would love to stay downtown maybe overlooking the city in either Dallas or Ft Worth although I have yet to understand the difference really in the two other than the name.

Also, I know the place is a congested area, but will have Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday morning so would like to be somewhere to maximize my time. Thanks in advance.

15 970
 03-21-2014, 10:52 AM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
(03-21-2014, 08:38 AM)tsimmns Wrote: So next weekend I will be venturing into the big city. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay, areas to avoid, things to do. I would love to stay downtown maybe overlooking the city in either Dallas or Ft Worth although I have yet to understand the difference really in the two other than the name.

Also, I know the place is a congested area, but will have Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday morning so would like to be somewhere to maximize my time. Thanks in advance.

Oh, where do we start? The difference between Dallas and Fort Worth? Okay. Dallas is a larger city about 35 miles east of the smaller Fort Worth. Both are surrounded by suburbs, with the bias being to the north (read that "north is more expensive"). Dallas is working hard toward having a life in the downtown area; Fort Worth has pretty much accomplished that already.

There are almost 7 million people in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area, and most entertainment venues attempt to capture the entire market. There is a big entertainment area in the Grand Prairie / Arlington area (right now, Six Flags is about the only major attraction open in that area, and that's just on Saturdays and Sundays.)

If you like museums and similar attractions, both Dallas and Fort Worth have a lot to offer. Dallas has several in the downtown area; Fort Worth's museum district is a couple of miles west of downtown. Lots of folks are impressed with the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science in downtown Dallas.

Because of the spread-out area, there is no place I can recommend to stay that will give you easy access to both Dallas and Fort Worth. Further, there are major road construction projects on the north side of Dallas (IH 635 aka "LBJ"), the northern route between Dallas and Fort Worth (Hwy 183), and the old DFW turnpike (IH 30). Even on weekends, it can take close to an hour to drive between downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth.

The Omni Hotel or the Hyatt Regency Dallas both have rooms with great views of Dallas; the Worthington in downtown Fort Worth is very nice and has some great views.

There are literally hundreds of great restaurants and clubs in the DFW area. Probably a good place to get a handle on where to go would be to go online to the DFW GuideLive website, which, I believe, is part of the Dallas Morning News site.

Enjoy your visit!

30 237
 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(03-21-2014, 10:52 AM)texquill Wrote:
(03-21-2014, 08:38 AM)tsimmns Wrote: So next weekend I will be venturing into the big city. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay, areas to avoid, things to do. I would love to stay downtown maybe overlooking the city in either Dallas or Ft Worth although I have yet to understand the difference really in the two other than the name.

Oh, where do we start? The difference between Dallas and Fort Worth? Okay. Dallas is a larger city about 35 miles east of the smaller Fort Worth. Both are surrounded by suburbs, with the bias being to the north (read that "north is more expensive"). Dallas is working hard toward having a life in the downtown area; Fort Worth has pretty much accomplished that already.

There are almost 7 million people in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area, and most entertainment venues attempt to capture the entire market. There is a big entertainment area in the Grand Prairie / Arlington area (right now, Six Flags is about the only major attraction open in that area, and that's just on Saturdays and Sundays.)

If you like museums and similar attractions, both Dallas and Fort Worth have a lot to offer. Dallas has several in the downtown area; Fort Worth's museum district is a couple of miles west of downtown. Lots of folks are impressed with the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science in downtown Dallas.

Because of the spread-out area, there is no place I can recommend to stay that will give you easy access to both Dallas and Fort Worth. Further, there are major road construction projects on the north side of Dallas (IH 635 aka "LBJ"), the northern route between Dallas and Fort Worth (Hwy 183), and the old DFW turnpike (IH 30). Even on weekends, it can take close to an hour to drive between downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth.

The Omni Hotel or the Hyatt Regency Dallas both have rooms with great views of Dallas; the Worthington in downtown Fort Worth is very nice and has some great views.

There are literally hundreds of great restaurants and clubs in the DFW area. Probably a good place to get a handle on where to go would be to go online to the DFW GuideLive website, which, I believe, is part of the Dallas Morning News site.

Enjoy your visit!

Thank you for the in-depth review here tex. While I realize that both cities are miles apart, I'm just debating which to stay in for a weekend of fun. I have been to the Stockyards in Ft. Worth before and that's about the atmosphere I'm looking for I guess. Something that single man in his early 30's could take someone he's dating. I guess I could attempt to do the whole Six Flags thing but I have been there done that in other cities. I will check out the link you mentioned and go from there.

15 970
 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM
User Info
I can't recommend a place to stay since I live here now, but in FTW you have more the cowboy atmosphere in the stockyards.
In Dallas, you have several museums including the 6th floor museum.

A week later would have gotten you NASCAR at TX Motor speedway weekend of 4/4

There are a few L'Occitane shops around.

What do you like to do?

31 1,800
 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you like the Stockyard area of Ft. Worth, stay here.

http://www.stockyardshotel.com/

You have the atmosphere and you are within walking distance of all entertainment in the Stockyard area.

175 23,752
 03-22-2014, 04:23 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I think Tex summed it up pretty well. If you're looking for nightlife, both have great options. If you're looking for sight seeing, both have quality arts and museums, if you're looking for the city that's easiest to strike up a conversation with a pretty gal, that depends on your vehicle and wrist watch, and of course your swagger. Tough to go wrong in either city. But, for my money I'd head a little further south to Austin or San Antonio. Much cooler vibes.

27 860
 03-27-2014, 12:05 PM
User Info
The Sixth Floor museum (JFK) in downtown Dallas is worth going to.

Also, there are several In-n-out burger restaurants in the DFW area. If you've never tried one they are cool.

0 109