03-21-2014, 12:20 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I am finally getting to post about the three pens that I purchased at the Los Angeles International Pen Show last month. This show is considered the 2nd largest in the United States, after that in Washington, D.C. I could spend even more time there than I do but either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on one's point of view, my cash reserves are simply not big enough. Tongue

Without further ado:

The VFM is the lowest end of Sheaffer pens and is on a par with the Pilot Metropolitan and the Platinum Plaisir. Ordinarily, the VFM sells for $16.50 but there was a gentleman selling them for $10.00 so this was mine. A nice touch is that it comes boxed with two standard international cartridges. I believe it is a cartridge only pen. I haven't yet inked it but it may temporarily replace my Kaweco Sport as that pen is beginning to show its hard use.

[Image: 9xQ7L9p.jpg]
Sheaffer VFM, boxed

[Image: DtGD2E8.jpg]
Sheaffer VFM, capped

[Image: hacEKsk.jpg]
Sheaffer VFM, posted

The Stipula Speed was offered as a show special of $65.00, instead of the usual $99.00. The Speed is interesting in both looks and how the cap stays over the nib. That cap is magnetic, rather than twist or snap. Unfortunately for me, the cap does not post. The pen itself is a piston filler and uses bottled ink only. Again, I have not inked the pen. In this case it's because I already have seven others inked so the Speed will have to wait its turn.

[Image: lIJwzdr.jpg]
Stipula Speed, boxed

[Image: Q7Hal7I.jpg]
Stipiula Speed, capped

[Image: I9ByPjW.jpg]
Stipula Speed, uncapped

The last of my purchases was a Majestic. According to Richard Binder, in his Guide to Fountain Pens, these were third tier Depression era pens so I assume they date from the 1930s. Third tier they may have been but this is a gorgeous specimen in beautiful condition and as soon as I laid eyes on it, it was love at first sight. I was amazed when I was asked only $10.00 for it. After flushing it of old ink, I dipped the nib to see how it might write. This is, to me, an extra fine or fine nib and writes wonderfully. It is a smooth writer and lays down a nice even line, based on the dipping and not an actual fill. The nib is marked as an iridium tipped No. 6. If I'm going to be honest, this was my favorite buy at the show. Smile

[Image: XfHzQFi.jpg]
Majestic, capped

[Image: DcvYDAI.jpg]
Majestic, posted

[Image: Tkm4FAY.jpg]
Majestic, writing sample

That's it. Another successful visit to the L.A. pen show and I hope you enjoyed reading about, and seeing, my acquisitions.

2 11,211
 03-21-2014, 12:34 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Nice additions to your collection. The Stipula looks great. Since it does not post how is the balance when writing? I'm like you I like posting the cap.

The third tier depression pens can have sweet nibs on them. Majestic and American are two that have decent nibs. They are often overlooked by collectors. You have a great example of one.

1 3,507
 03-21-2014, 02:08 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Hi Brad,

The Stipula is nicely balanced. However, it is somewhat short without a posted cap. For me, this is not a problem as I have small hands. Someone with very large hands might not appreciate it as much as I.

As for the Majestic, I actually have one or two others that I picked up on eBay a few years ago and was impressed by them. However, the one I show here is easily the nicest of the bunch.

2 11,211
 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Hi Freddy,

My love of fountain pens was reignited this winter when I found my old ones. My bride was kind to get me a few for my birthday, and they arrived today, just when I returned home from OC. She got me a Pilot Metropolitan, and I'm looking forward to it. Also a few bottles of Herbin ink too!

19 723
 03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Dang, Chris, photos, photos! 24

All kidding aside, I'll be interested in your thoughts about the Metropolitan. I have one and I am curious to see how your thoughts on the pen mesh with mine.

I am a big fan of some of the J. Herbin colors but, unfortunately, don't care for the shallow bottle they insist upon using (see here: http://shavenook.com/thread-the-fountain...ead?page=2).

P.S. Your bride is a keeper! Biggrin

(03-21-2014, 03:12 PM)Deuce Wrote: Hi Freddy,

My love of fountain pens was reignited this winter when I found my old ones. My bride was kind to get me a few for my birthday, and they arrived today, just when I returned home from OC. She got me a Pilot Metropolitan, and I'm looking forward to it. Also a few bottles of Herbin ink too!

2 11,211
 03-21-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
Freddy gifted me a Stipula Speed pen in a sunny yellow with a nice 1.1 mm nib. The pen is a smooth writer that feels good in hand. It's a short pen with a good balance. The magnetic cap makes this an interesting pen. I've written through 2 fills and have started a third. The 1.1mm nib isn't fond of Herbin ink. Noodler's has performed very well as has Diamine. I had my eye on a Stipula "Passport" but the Speed has been grand! Thank You, Freddy.

1 346
 03-28-2014, 08:05 AM
User Info
Freddy,
Wow - all very nice. I am partial to metal pens but that Majestic is beautiful.

I have never been to a pen show. Attending one is now on our "Bucket List".

A quick search showed we missed ones in Philly (our hometown) and Baltimore.
Last year there was a New England Pen Show in Boston in June but I did not come across info for this year.

Enjoy the pens. Let us know how the VFM and Speed write when you get to use them.

Edit: Just saw Pam's quick review of the Speed. Nice.

Phil

7 363
 03-28-2014, 09:50 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Phil, my very first pen show was the one in Philly three years ago and it's quite nice. It's the only one I've been to besides the one in Los Angeles. I hope you get the chance to go to a pen show soon because they are a lot of fun. If you go to this link, http://www.carmenriverapens.com/2014-pen-show-calendar/, you'll see that the New England show is to be held in June with exact dates yet to be announced (like many other upcoming shows). If you click on it, it will take you to the announcement for last year's show and, eventually, you might see updates. It's worth a shot. Smile

2 11,211
 03-28-2014, 07:43 PM
User Info
Very nice additions Freddy. Please let us know how they all work once you've moved them into rotation.

31 8,054
 03-29-2014, 06:01 AM
User Info
(03-28-2014, 09:50 AM)freddy Wrote: If you go to this link, http://www.carmenriverapens.com/2014-pen-show-calendar/, you'll see that the New England show is to be held in June with exact dates yet to be announced (like many other upcoming shows).

Freddy,
Thanks for the link. I will keep an eye on it.
I would love to be able to go to a local pen show. ML is excited at the idea as well.

Phil

7 363