03-21-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
I received my CH2 Synthetic yesterday (Thursday). My plan was to use it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then review it after those three shaves. As it turns out, I used it today (Friday) and don't need any more shaves to form an opinion.

I measure the loft on my brush with my digital caliper several times. It has a loft of 49mm.

Background

My previous synthetic experience is a custom Rudy Vey with a 25mm Muhle knot set at 55mm. That brush is outstanding. I have used a CH2 in Super extensively over the past three years. That is relevant because I find that many of the issues being raised about the CH2 synthetic are inherent to the design of the Chubby and its short, dense knot. As I read the concerns expressed by some regarding the CH2 synthetic, I find that some of them are equally applicable to a CH2 in Super. In fact, those raising issues about the CH2 synthetic are writing what I would have written when I first tried the CH2 in Super, as I could not get that brush to lather at first.

Now on to the shave.

The Shave

I randomly picked Proraso Red soap and decided to face lather with it. I wet the brush under running hot water for a moment and started loading it with Proraso. I loaded it with more soap than I would for another brush, because it's a Chubby and you just need more product.

I then took the brush to my face and started building lather. I decided to see what would happen after 30 seconds, so I timed my lathering for that period of time. My intent was not to create a monster lather shot at this moment, but rather to get a sense for how long the brush took to start building lather. This is the brush after 30 seconds on my face. So far, it's fine. It's a Chubby. It needs more product and time:

[Image: GtTbogr.jpg]

I then resumed building lather on my face and had no difficulty building a huge amount of lather. I am not posting monster lather shots because others have already done so. Suffice it to say that I was easily able to generate as much lather as others who have posted CH2 synthetic lathering videos or pictures.

I did decide to post a picture of what the brush looked like after 3 passes. It still has plenty of lather:

[Image: 7kuaiNC.jpg]

I was about to rinse the brush when I decided to try something. I did a 4th, lather only, pass. I fully lathered my face as if I was doing another pass, but did not shave. This is the brush after 4 passes. It still has plenty of lather:

[Image: m464zN5.jpg]

I then rinsed my face and did a 5th, lather only pass. I fully lathered my face as if I was doing another pass, but did not shave. This is the brush after 5 passes. It still has plenty of lather:

[Image: y2CjI1X.jpg]

I could have done another pass, but there was no point. This brush makes lather well for me if I treat it like a Chubby.

Circular v Painting Strokes

I prefer to use up and down, and back and forth, painting strokes when I face lather. With those kind of strokes, the brush has little splay. However, I did not find that it needed more splay to work well with painting strokes. When I applied a small amount of pressure to induce more splay, I felt the brush was actually somewhat less effective.

With circular strokes, the brush splays even less than with painting strokes. Applying a small amount of pressure to induce splay again led to the brush feeling less effective.

This brush clearly works best with painting strokes. This has also been my experience with the CH2 in Super.

Conclusions

In my view, this brush shows all the intrinsic characteristics of a Chubby, whether it be Best, Super or synthetic. It looks and acts like a Chubby. The loft could be raised to address the concerns of some. The question then becomes how high can one go without losing what makes a Chubby unique. Is a Chubby 2 with a 55mm loft still a Chubby?

The Chubby concept, regardless of what hair it is made with, is not everyone's idea of a great brush. I can highly recommend this brush to anyone who can enjoy the characteristics a Chubby is known for. That same and unique sense of a firm, thick, soft wall of hair that I feel with a CH2 Super is similar to what I feel with the CH2 synthetic. I like that feeling and I like this brush.

50 6,088
 03-21-2014, 03:50 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Great conclusions, Ricardo!

I've been asking myself the same thing about my brush... Would a 54 or 5mm CH2 Synthetic Badger, still actually be a CH2? I haven't made up my mind on what to do yet, though. Smile

26 4,928
 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Thank you for sharing a great and very well structured review. Smile

I was wondering how well the brush would perform after reading recent threads about loft height etc. - it seems as though the loft has been kept deliberately short in order to maximize performance.

It's brilliant to read that the brush is working really well for you. Smile

33 660
 03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Ricardo

Thanks for posting your review. It sure will easily produce tons of very good lather from my one use of it. Feels good on the face too. That put my initial fears to rest having never owned a Chubby 2 of any sort before. She's a keeper for me too.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-21-2014, 05:48 PM
User Info
Great pictures and review, that handle is stunning!

I have to respectfully disagree with the "a chubby is a chubby idea."

A synthetic knot is not at all like badger hair, whether best or super. As with a boar brush you need a significantly higher loft vs badger hair to get the proper splay/flow-thru needed for "most " users to feel the brush is doing it's job. A chubby is still a chubby at a higher loft, some of the somerset Chubby's came set at 53-56mm loft and still have more than ample backbone.

Having said that I am glad you find this brush to work well for you even at the shorter loft. Congrats on a sweetie of a brush!

69 2,186
 03-21-2014, 09:17 PM
User Info
Great to hear you are enjoying the brush, Ricardo!
It sure is beautiful!

83 21,077
 03-22-2014, 03:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Ricardo, thanks for the review. I too like to use paint strokes so one of these might be in my future. But not until I get my Chubby 2 Best Badger.

178 23,809
 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM
User Info
Nice review and pictures, Ricardo. Enjoy your brush!

47 1,270
 03-22-2014, 06:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for the very nice review. I now can understand why it works for some and not for others.

38 5,108
 03-30-2014, 09:40 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Ricardo Thank you for sharing this review!

I received mine yesterday morning and was a little concerned after reading some of the more critical reviews of the production brush.

However, once it was in my hands and I could feel the knot with my hands, well,
All I could think was "when can I start using this brush!" Biggrin

I have prior experience with a synthetic brush, TGN 23mm? ,
and this CH2 felt at least as good as that one- which I like a lot!

All I can add, is that if you want a stunning looking brush and don't mind adjusting your loading and lather techniques, then this brush will serve you well.

Blessings,
James

9 1,684
 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM
User Info
James - I think the key is, as you said, adjusting your lathering technique to accommodate the short, dense knot. I had to do the same thing when I first got a CH2 in Super.

50 6,088