03-22-2014, 07:07 AM
User Info
Now that I'm a believer in the benefits and joys of the evolving synthetics, I'm getting a bigger lofted one to go with the 50mm Frank. I've only found these two, both in stock at the moment at Fendrihan. EJ's specs are 24mm x 63mm. H.I.S. specs are 28mm x 62mm. I need you guys who have a bit more experience than me to help me out please. Should I get both? Or should I get either one, or not? Are these going to be super soft on the face as the Frank is? I'm talking about zero prickliniess, no scritch whatsoever. Please tell me what you can about either or both of these two synthetics.

24 1,226
 03-22-2014, 07:12 AM
User Info
I have a smaller FS and it is pretty good, but the large H.I.S. XL brush I own is very soft and wonderful to use. I used it this morning in fact.

I bought both of my brushes almost 2 years ago when they were dirt cheap and don't know if the fibres have changed since then.

If they are inexpensive, get both, but I think you would enjoy the H.I.S. better. The company made makeup brushes for women and artist brushes before they got into the shave brush business and do an excellent job.

21 1,686
 03-22-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
(03-22-2014, 07:07 AM)brothers Wrote: Now that I'm a believer in the benefits and joys of the evolving synthetics, I'm getting a bigger lofted one to go with the 50mm Frank. I've only found these two, both in stock at the moment at Fendrihan. EJ's specs are 24mm x 63mm. H.I.S. specs are 28mm x 62mm. I need you guys who have a bit more experience than me to help me out please. Should I get both? Or should I get either one, or not? Are these going to be super soft on the face as the Frank is? I'm talking about zero prickliniess, no scritch whatsoever. Please tell me what you can about either or both of these two synthetics.

The H.I.S. is the first brush to use Generation 4 fibers on the market (started production before 2009 according to the manufacturer). It has super soft tipped fibers and if you want a longer lofted brush and don't mind a larger handle, it would be your choice.

Here is my write up as of June of last year, but there has been only one major adder to the Gen 4 crowd, that being the Simpsons. This will help you see the differences between the generations.

http://shavenook.com/thread-synthetic-br...ns-updated

Here is the original H.I.S.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/FM-Brush..._1696.html

I would suggest that you only go after this version of the brush due to issues others have had with the lower sized and 3D brushes.

Good fortune on your selection.

1 2,827
 03-22-2014, 08:09 AM
User Info
If you like large brushes, then the HIS is the one for you. This thing is massive!
The smaller one might be a bit more manageable.
The Muhle V2 and the Plisson are also quite nice.
Good luck.

83 21,111
 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM
User Info
Gary, go for the original HIS. I think it will be the softest brush you have ever used and whips up a quality lather with ease. You may need a go or two to get used to building lather with it; I suggest you start with only the tips wet and add water as you go.

47 1,270
 03-22-2014, 09:37 AM
User Info
West Coast Shaving has 3 sizes of the H.I.S. in stock.

50 6,424
 03-26-2014, 05:06 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Thanks for all the info on this thread.

I am lover of big brushes (Omega 48!) and recently tried the Plisson. While the face feel & lather quality was excellent - I found this brush too small.

I now see a HIS 28/62mm in my future. Smile

17 535
 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
My newly acquired HIS arrived and I shaved with today. For reference - I have tried the Plisson synth before - but sold it because I found it too small.

I'm in love with the HIS. It's a great brush for a great price (and under appreciated IMO). Thanks GDCarrington for your review of this brush. I've found a keeper.

17 535
 03-29-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 04:11 PM)v4257 Wrote: My newly acquired HIS arrived and I shaved with today. For reference - I have tried the Plisson synth before - but sold it because I found it too small.

I'm in love with the HIS. It's a great brush for a great price (and under appreciated IMO). Thanks GDCarrington for your review of this brush. I've found a keeper.

Your welcome.

1 2,827